Free weights and rest days

Options
Hi all, I've recently started using weights at the gym, I know you're supposed to take rest days!
I want to build muscle, especially a bigger rounder booty!!
What excercise can I do on rest days?
Can I still do squats abs and planks etc at home everyday? + cardio?
Any advice is appreciated I'm new to all this!

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    On my rest days (days in which I don't weight lift) I either do Abs, Cardio, or rest. The big thing is you don't want to hit the same muscle/s on consecutive days. You tear down muscles when you weight lift. They grow when you're resting, not when you're in the gym lifting.
  • robynnatasha
    Options
    Thank you! I'll stick to abs and cardio then. I was confused cause I keep seeing people doing challenges like the 30 day squat and they do it almost every day,
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll stick to abs and cardio then. I was confused cause I keep seeing people doing challenges like the 30 day squat and they do it almost every day,

A lot of it has to do with intensity. For a person like myself who's been lifting for quite a while doing "air" squats every day (I assume that's what they're doing?) is nothing. Now if I did 30 barbell squats a day with 125lbs on my back that would be MUCH more intense, I'd be tearing muscles down having to support that weight, and therefore would need a day (or two) of recovery.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    The challenges, whether squats, pullups, whatever, are typically using body weight not any other weights. You can do them but the only thing you're doing is increasing endurance.
    If you are lifting weights (free or machine) you need a day of rest on those muscles to repair and recuperate.
    Cardio and abs would be fine on off days but I wouldn't be able to do cardio after leg day that's for sure.