Help!!

Options
Hello mfp lovelies!

Here's my issue!

Since Feb of last year ( excluding the summer where I basically maintained) I've lost 60lbs.
Now since thanksgiving I have really fallen off the wagon and I gained about 10lbs back.
I realize that it's my fault and blah blah blah and I'm getting back on track!
I have now 30 lbs to lose left and I've hired a personal trainer to help me get less jiggly. But I feel like after losing 60lbs I should have more of an idea of how to eat. I have no structure really. No clue how many calories consumed make me maintain. How many calories I should eat to lose effectively. I don't really have any idea if the calories should be adjusted Bc I'm focusing more on strength training than cardio now. I don't know if I should still run like hell and work out or ease up on running Bc of the work outs.

I'm basically a mess.

I've lost 60lbs and I feel like I've learned basically nothing.
Am I gonna just slip right back into the mess I was before Bc I didn't learn anything.

I feel like I should have a better grip on all of this. But I just don't.

Do any of you awesome successful, more intelligent than me folks out there have any advice?
Anything!!?!?

I'm just nervous that I'm doing everything wrong and there is a simpler way to do this and I'm just missing it!

HELP!
lol

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    What are you doing? What's your BMR? What's your TDEE? How many calories per day do you eat? How much protein do you eat? Fiber? How much do you sleep? Are you happy or hangry?

Take a deep breath, and answer those questions.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    Food preparation is your best friend. I prepare all my meals for when I am at work M-F, thus, I have an exact count on my daily calories, and know whether or not I can eat extra calories for the dinner, or less. It sux at first, but you'll get used to it. Of course in preparing food requires you to choose the right ones :-)

Good luck sami!
  • samiyan05
    samiyan05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I usually run but now I just started strength training with a trainer 2 days a week for an hour each. . I try to eat around 1400 calories a day. But obviously since I was slacking that wasn't the case then. I'm sure the protein varies daily. My Bmr is around 1700 I believe.... Was that all? Oh wait. I sleep about 7 hours a night usually and I'm always hungry!! Lol but I can usually ignore it until I get home!

Did I miss anything? Lol
  • WBB55
    Options
    You're always hungry because you're eating below your BMR. Use this website to figure it out. scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

You need to fuel your body if you want it to perform.

If you want to lose weight, it helps to be consistent. Consistent protein and fiber. Consistent sleeping. Consistently working out. Consistent calories.
  • samiyan05
    Options
    So am I supposed to eat at my Bmr and then burn some off or eat more and burn down to my Bmr?
  • mrg68
    mrg68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 in the past 3 years but I've let 20 of them slip back on. I don't think it is not being educated, it is losing the motivation. My family doesn't eat like I do, but I've almost decided that they are just going to have to! It is only good for them, too!! What made me disgusted with myself is how easily it was to let it slip away.

If you really think about it, you know what you have to do, more or less. There is always new stuff to learn and get a better understanding of. But you did this once, you can do it again. If I had to guess, you know more than you think you do...
  • WBB55
    Options
    So am I supposed to eat at my Bmr and then burn some off or eat more and burn down to my Bmr?

What's your goal? Lose weight? add muscle? be healthy? Lose inches? How fast do you want to accomplish this?

Never eat below your BMR. If you eat at your BMR you will lose weight, no matter if you exercise or not.
  • samiyan05
    Options
    Lose the last 30lbs but also add muscle.... Is that impossible? My trainer says since I did mainly cardio for the weight I've list so far that once I start strength training the weight should start falling off but am I kidding myself to believe that?
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You should never eat below your BMR.

With MFP method you eat back at least half your exercise calories.

With the TDEE calculation you do not eat back your exercise calories.

To find the calories you eat with TDEE

1. Calculate TDEE
    2. minus 5-20% from TDEE depending on how much you need to lose 20% for more weight 5-20% for less weight.

Please search the forums for a better explanation on BMR and TDEE.

You will not be gaining any significant muscle while eating at a deficit but you will be increasing strength and maintaining muscle.

There are apparently some noob muscle gains as well but not a lot.