1240 calories aday and lifting but not losing any weight!

I've been on the Stronglifts 5x5 programme since the beginning of January and have lost 12lbs. I started on 1400 calories and reduced my calorie intake three weeks ago when I lost 10lbs.
I have just changed my workout programme: Monday: Legs/bum, Wednesday: Arms, Friday: Chest, Saturday: Complex Circuit workout. All days include a minimum of 2x8 cardio High intensity work outs on either the cross trainer or bike.

I haven't lost any weight for the past 2/3 weeks and i put on a lb this week.

What am I doing wrong??

Replies

• writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    1. Lifting heavy is tough on your muscles, so they'll retain water to help them repair themselves. Water weight will go away on its own over time, but for now it may account for a few pounds.
    2. You're losing fat but building muscle. Have you taken measurements recently? Even if you weigh the same, you could be losing inches.
    3. 1240 calories seems really low for that amount of activity. Make sure you're eating back at least half of your exercise calories, and make sure you're not setting your weekly goal too high. A 2 pound/week loss is only if you have more than 75 pounds to lose; 1 pound is more reasonable and will give you more calories a day.
    4. Make sure you're getting enough protein. It should be 1g per pound of lean body mass
    5. Get a food scale and weigh your food. Measuring spoons and cups are rarely accurate, and more often than not when someone stops losing weight, it's because they're eating more than they think.
  • So should I increase my calories? I'm getting about 100g of protein a day and I weigh around 163lbs.
    I already weigh my foods and calorie count religiously.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    You will probably need more fuel but lets start simple, can you open your food diary? And how long again did you change your routine? BTW, how tall are you?

I do suspect some water retention, especially if this program is new.
  • I'm not sure how to open my food diary on here!! My average day is:
    Breakfast: 1 oat and banana pancake with whey protein in it.
    Snack: Alpen Bar.
    Lunch: Chicken and ham with rice.
    Dinner: Pork and rice with a sauce of some kind// chicken and pasta // Extra lean mince and pasta // Some sort of meat and potatoes.
    Water: 6-8 glasses a day.

I changed my routine last monday, so have only been on it for a week.
    And I am 5ft! A little shorty!
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    I did a quick scoobi calculation based on the stats you gave and the age you list in your profile and just selected a weekly workout regiment of 3-5 hours of moderate exercise weekly with a TDEE -20%. It came to a calorie goal of 1900 cals per day.

From what I am understanding of your post you are working out WAYYYY more than the mere 3-5 hours I gave you so chances are you need even more food for that extreme level of exercise.

Calories in/out for weightloss, exercise for health and fitness.

To open your diary go to Food/Settings. At the bottom you'll see an option to make your diary public.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Don't just go by weight. Take measurements. See if the clothes fit differently. Especially if you're lifting.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I'm not sure how to open my food diary on here!! My average day is:
    Breakfast: 1 oat and banana pancake with whey protein in it.
    Snack: Alpen Bar.
    Lunch: Chicken and ham with rice.
    Dinner: Pork and rice with a sauce of some kind// chicken and pasta // Extra lean mince and pasta // Some sort of meat and potatoes.
    Water: 6-8 glasses a day.

I changed my routine last monday, so have only been on it for a week.
    And I am 5ft! A little shorty!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

click on that and make it public. Also, do you use a food scale? Also, if you are young and active, there is no reason to eat that little. You really should be 1700+ calories. But to ensure accuracy, you should be using a food scale and consistently logging. If you are doing those two things then we can give an evaluation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You won't get any benefit from heavy lifting eating so little. Eat more.

And you're certainly not building any muscle at what... 600 calories net a day?
  • psulemon - i've made it public now!!!
    Don't judge yesterdays food... i'm on holiday with my parents who i haven't seen in 2 months!!!

Thanks for all the help guys!
  • BrillFit
    BrillFit Posts: 368
    Eat more.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    I totally understand where you are right now. I am having a hard time with how many calories versus workouts. I am doing 4 runs a a week and 4 crossfit WOD's a week and I was eating back some of my calories but last week havent seen anything but a 1lb increase. How many calories is too much, or too little with all the working out?!? I'm struggling with it too.