Favorite simple snacks for middle of day?

Options
So besides my three meals a day I try to fit in two snacks the hold me over. But all I have really come up with is yogurt and granola bars. I have to eat them at my desk and they need to be quick and easy so they don't interrupt my work. Nothing I have to make at home and bring either!

What are your favorite quick healthy snack ideas?!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every afternoon I eat around 250 - 300 grams of raw mixed vegetables (usually cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, grape tomatoes) and a couple of Tbsp of my favorite humus or I just tried this Bolthouse blue cheese yogurt dressing that's pretty darned good.

I do this mostly because it's a high volume "snack" with minimal caloric impact and it's pretty good for me from a nutritional standpoint. I try to get in around 6 true servings of veg per day, so that snack really helps.

Usually on the way home (hour commute) I have my apple slices and my almonds. I traded my smokes out for apples and almonds on the drive home about 18 months ago and haven't looked back.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love hard boiled eggs as a go to snack. Sometimes they can be smelly so I peel them at home and then put them in a ziploc for later. Also, I have a serious craving for all things crunchy so I keep rice cakes around. I like Suzie's Thincakes as they are only 50 cal per serving. Greek yogurt is great as well and super filling.
  • theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    I do like cauliflower and broccoli (no carrots or celery though).

I could maybe eat veggies as a snack with a big thing of ranch dip (fat free).

A tbsp doesn't seem like enough to cover the veggies.
  • theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    I was thinking WHOLE FOODS has all those things like granola, nuts, trail mix, dried fruit, etc you can bag yourself.

Are those good options?

I need something I can go crazy on and not have it ruin my day.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I do either grapes with string cheese or an apple with peanut butter almost every day.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Some of my faves:
    Individual oatmeal packets
    String cheese
    Nuts (1/4c)
    Beef jerky
    Fruit
    Cottage Cheese- anyone else seen the new Kemps Greek yogurt and cottage cheese cups? Not my favorite but high in protein
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (better than regular yogurt)
    Protein bars (better than granola bars)
    Cheese
    Trail mix
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Nuts with dried cranberries
    Black olives with feta
    Pepperoni with havarti
    String cheese with grapes
    Apples with peanut butter
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I love cold baked potatoes. I just think they're delicious. Just plain, even, or with a piece of cheese or buttered.

Kind of like a bread roll. But I can't eat bread rolls due to my coeliacs. So just potatoes - microwaved, then baked for about ten minutes to get the skin crispy but keep the inside soft. Nom.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Mixed nuts
    Apple with natural peanut butter
    individual steel cut oat packets, add maple syrup and blueberries
    greek yogurt
    dark chocolate
  • 10nacityLex
    10nacityLex Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me it's protein shake. I'm a college professor and I can't just go in my bag in the middle of a lecture and eat away. But what I can do is drink a protein shake. At home I add 2 scoops of EAS Lean Protein Power and half of scoop of Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk (powder). At work, I add 8 oz of cold water, shake it and drink away. This helps keep my snack down to 100 calories, add more protein to my diet and it's easy. Hope this helps!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I was thinking WHOLE FOODS has all those things like granola, nuts, trail mix, dried fruit, etc you can bag yourself.

Are those good options?

I need something I can go crazy on and not have it ruin my day.

Those are good healthy options, but the calorie count for granola and nuts is high. You certainly can't "go crazy on and not have it ruin [your] day." Of course, if you can fit it into your calorie count, go for it. Just measure it!

I find that carrots and hummus fill me up pretty well.
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    So besides my three meals a day I try to fit in two snacks the hold me over. But all I have really come up with is yogurt and granola bars. I have to eat them at my desk and they need to be quick and easy so they don't interrupt my work. Nothing I have to make at home and bring either!

What are your favorite quick healthy snack ideas?!

Fruit....nuts.....chocolate.....all of them together.......
  • Sztheday
    Sztheday Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A banana with peanut butter is easy, fast, & filling. This is my favorite go to snack…if you're still hungry have an apple with additional peanut butter.
  • happydayworking
    Options
    Hummas with snap peas
    peanutbutter toast
    lunch meat lettuce wrap with ranch
    popcorn
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Sea Salt & Vinegar Almonds
    Blackberries
    Carrot Chips
    them be my go tos
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    A"big thing" of ranch will ruin your day...fat free means more sugar,not no calories. Maybe try a yogurt based one,maybe a Bolthouse dressing?
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite "fill me up" is a tb of chia seeds in a bottle of lemonwater (if you drink crystal light etc that would work) I feel like I ate a meal w chia. I also love hummus and veg, veg and mustard (and mustard is zero calorie,so a very low cal veg and mustard is basically a free food),and honeydew melon.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Almonds or a yogurt protein smoothie
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    almonds
    string cheese
    hard boiled egg
    fresh veggies (carrots, cherry tomatoes, and celery) with hummus
    beef jerky