I need meat

Options
To start: I'm not a vegetarian, never have been, and never plan to be. In fact, I love eating things that have faces. However, I do know many people don't NEED meat in multiple meals throughout the day. I've had nutritionists tell me that yogourt, cheese, etc. should be able to be substituted for meat, but I can't do it. For example, today, I had a dish of Cheese Ravioli from Lean Cuisine. Within an hour, I was so hungry that I was dizzy. This doesn't happen with any of their meals that have even the slightest amount of meat in them.
This happens if I have more than 2 meals without meat as the main protein.
I was hoping that the community would offer their suggestions as to why this is. I've tried to tell doctors and nutritionists about this and I've gotten responses from, "that's ridiculous," to, "just eat meat then." I will continue eating meat, but I'd love a reason why I absolutely cannot go without meat.

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My guess is that meat has high levels of iron and protein, which is harder to get with a plant based diet. Not impossible, not at all impossible, but harder.

It's part of why I wouldn't want to give up meat. Meat is easy. I like easy.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    All I got is "just eat meat"...
    But I'm posting so some of the more well-versed pals on my list will see this and chime in.

Sidenote: I can't eat any of those lean cuisine type meals, I'm never satisfied. I don't know how you make it an hour being full, I'm hungry like 20 minutes later lol
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'd love a reason why I absolutely cannot go without meat.

You probably aren't going to find it here. ;)

Is it meat? Or is it just protein? Lean Cuisine cheese ravioli has very little protein--6 grams or so, if the database is correct.

Dairy can be a good source of protein, hence why it's recommended, but Lean Cuisine meals are highly processed--very little fiber and very little volume of food, plus no protein. It's probably why you were so hungry.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    230 calories for that dish - so one of the cookies I got that were on offer for tomorrow :).

I wouldn't use that as decent evidence.

Saying that, I might have the same thing as you - very rare I don't have meat every meal. Many are purely meat :).
  • fairefaerie
    fairefaerie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a Lean Cuisine meal every day for lunch. They help me keep portions and save my "real" food preparation for dinner. I have absolutely no problem with their products that have meat in them; however, I have this problem with anything that has cheese as its main protein. I don't know where you got the quote, "I'd love a reason to give up meat," because I don't see it anywhere here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in one of those? Probably not many...that would leave me pretty hungry too. Also, protein is pretty satiating...wouldn't imagine there is a whole lot of protein in the dish...mostly carbs I would think. Is the cheese also low fat or whatever? That would also make it even less satiating.
  • fairefaerie
    Options
    I also feel it necessary to point out that this is just an example of an ongoing issue for at least a decade. If I have a salad with eggs and cheese, I'm empty. I add an ounce of Ham or turkey to it, I'm full. Don't even talk to me about soy. This isn't just a Lean Cuisine issue - this is an everything without meat issue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have a Lean Cuisine meal every day for lunch. They help me keep portions and save my "real" food preparation for dinner. I have absolutely no problem with their products that have meat in them; however, I have this problem with anything that has cheese as its main protein. I don't know where you got the quote, "I'd love a reason to give up meat," because I don't see it anywhere here.

meat has a lot more protein than cheese. I don't really think you can substitute...cheese is a decent complimentary source, but it's generally a far better source of fat than protein.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I also feel it necessary to point out that this is just an example of an ongoing issue for at least a decade. If I have a salad with eggs and cheese, I'm empty. I add an ounce of Ham or turkey to it, I'm full. Don't even talk to me about soy. This isn't just a Lean Cuisine issue - this is an everything without meat issue.

So why not grill up some chicken breasts each week and add some to your LCs that don't come with meat??
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Sooooo what your saying is - you're a meatatarian! Well hey me too!
  • fairefaerie
    Options
    So why not grill up some chicken breasts each week and add some to your LCs that don't come with meat??

I'm more checking to see if this is a possible bigger issue than I understand. I've had a lot of doctors who didn't want to listen to me in the past, and while I'm waiting for my next one, I thought I'd brainstorm with the community to see if anyone had any ideas as to why this happens.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

I'm more checking to see if this is a possible bigger issue than I understand. I've had a lot of doctors who didn't want to listen to me in the past, and while I'm waiting for my next one, I thought I'd brainstorm with the community to see if anyone had any ideas as to why this happens.

I really wish I could help.

If you have a university nearby, maybe go to their library and access medical journals to see if you can find anything?
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to throw all my Lean Cuisine in the trash and just buy a few pounds of chicken.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Think it could be psychological?

I know some days if I wanted pizza, I couldn't be satisfied until I had pizza.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Sometimes I buy the pre-cooked rotisserie chicken in the grocery store deli & portion those out for a week. I iz all the lazy!!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    you should try a blind study, where someone cooks for you using food that looks like it has meat in it and food that has meat in it, and you don't know, and just see.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    you should try a blind study, where someone cooks for you using food that looks like it has meat in it and food that has meat in it, and you don't know, and just see.
    I was thinking this - especially as you mentioned only needing an ounce. I reckon an ounce of chicken would be easy to hide the taste of with some other strong flavours.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Sometimes I buy the pre-cooked rotisserie chicken in the grocery store deli & portion those out for a week. I iz all the lazy!!

No shame there!

Some of them are too salty for me.
    AAnd I like the ones from Market Basket best which doesn't exist here lol
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

No shame there!

Some of them are too salty for me.
    AAnd I like the ones from Market Basket best which doesn't exist here lol

Yeah, they can be. There's one flavor variety around here that's a little better than the rest.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly if an ounce of meat is enough:

1) I'd doubt that it's anything physically wrong, but I would suspect there's a conditioned reflex of some sort.
    2) Buy food with meat in it instead of trying to substitute.