I was feeling fit & sassy. Then I calculated my body fat.

Options
The online one I used cheerily told me "You're 48.6% fat!" and I am about to scoop my eyeballs out with a spoon so I don't have to see that number any more.

So:

1) Just in case maybe I used a stupid calculator that's all wrong, can anyone tell me a fairly accurate online bodyfat calculator? I know the best way is to immerse myself in a tank, but that's not going to happen this week.

2) Do Pilates and barre exercises count as strength training? They sure as shootin' make me shake and work to failure and feel pretty much the floaty, burning way I did with free weights at the gym, and I thought I was keeping my muscle mass going with that stuff. But maybe I wasn't and I'm just losing weight and turning into a slender bag of fat.

Oh dear, oh dear, what a busted balloon I feel like.

Replies

• learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    From in Place of a RoadMap,

Useful links:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/
    Do all 3 BF Calcs and use the average number.

I don't count Pilates, Yoga, Barre as strength. I consider them core work.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    is "core work" helpful to those who want a flat belly? (i know a deficit is needed too) @learnerdriver
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for these links.

Well, heck, if Pilates and Barre aren't strength work then I've been losing a lot of time, haven't I? I'll go check out the links you posted and then think about how the heck I'm going to get access to a gym (a real one, with free weights) given my commute schedule.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    is "core work" helpful to those who want a flat belly? (i know a deficit is needed too) @learnerdriver

yes in that you will build muscles in your core that will give the appearance of "flatness" or abs once your body fat is low enough

no in that you cannot spot reduce fat from your core so if your body fat is high, you need to lose fat all over your body to lose it at your core... fact is some people are also just predisposed to carry fat around their abdomen
  • tapirfrog
    Options
    OMG, one link gave me 48%, one link gave me 26%, and one link gave me 33%. I measured twice and checked my inputs and I still got that incredible range.

I think this will have to be one of those things I go "la la la not thinking about it" to. I'm already eating at a deficit. If I get free weights back into my life, then that will help. And I will have something to concentrate on besides a question that probably can't be answered with the tools I've got.

Thanks!
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm not a PT, exercise physiologist etc- I'm just someone trying to get my body to the best shape it can be, so this is just my opinion.

The way I understand it is that Core helps with strengthening underutilised muscles and holding your body correctly- your tummy for example, should be the engine for walking/running etc. You get stronger, you cut inches and your body fat/muscle does adjust but the effect is more subtle than heavy weight work.

Core helps your belly underneath all the fat. Core helps me use my tummy muscles for running rather than my legs.

Tapirfrog, keep going, track your measurements + put your freeweights back in.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You can't guess your bodyfat from online calculations.
    Calipers don't do it either.
    Submerging water tank hydrostatic tests can have vastly varied inaccuracies as far as percentages, too.
    If you want to get a truly accurate bodyfat percentage reading, go to your doctor and ask 'em for a Dexa scan. They probably won't give it to you b/c radiation for such an arbitrary vanity number is not healthy, but that's the way to get it.

Or just take progress photos and gage your progress for free without the number fear.
  • tapirfrog
    Options
    Perhaps avoiding number fear is the sanest way to go, seeing that I go completely batdoody insane at unpredictable moments about things like that and it feels like one of those batdoody moments is coming up.

Okay. Progress photos. Iron. Deep breaths. Thanks.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options

yes in that you will build muscles in your core that will give the appearance of "flatness" or abs once your body fat is low enough

no in that you cannot spot reduce fat from your core so if your body fat is high, you need to lose fat all over your body to lose it at your core... fact is some people are also just predisposed to carry fat around their abdomen

does that mean they cant get a flat belly?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm not a PT, exercise physiologist etc- I'm just someone trying to get my body to the best shape it can be, so this is just my opinion.

The way I understand it is that Core helps with strengthening underutilised muscles and holding your body correctly- your tummy for example, should be the engine for walking/running etc. You get stronger, you cut inches and your body fat/muscle does adjust but the effect is more subtle than heavy weight work.

Core helps your belly underneath all the fat. Core helps me use my tummy muscles for running rather than my legs.

Tapirfrog, keep going, track your measurements + put your freeweights back in.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I find those calculators based on measurements to be hit or miss, depending on how you store your body fat. I'd recommend either getting a caliper test done or posting in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105598-bodyfat-estimation-thread
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

It just means they have to drop to pretty low body fat to get there.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I use this one - http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
    I use calipers, and do the 7 point reading approx. every month.
    I take my measurements weekly, progress pics every month. I weigh myself as infrequently as possible :)

I agree with adding the free weights into your training. I have shifted my focus from cardio to weights over the last 6 months and have seen some great results.
  • tapirfrog
    Options
    Thank you *so* much for that link. I'll look at it.

It's very hard to be dedicated without turning into Joan Collins. I have to remember that if I screw up, I have the rest of my life to practice getting it right.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I've been to a couple of Barre classes and they were among the toughest workouts I've done. Core or no core, my legs and butt felt like jelly when I was done!
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options

It just means they have to drop to pretty low body fat to get there.

exactly this. people who carry fat at their core will maybe need to be down under 20% before their stomach looks flat whereas people who carry fat in their *kitten*, thighs or chest can have higher body fat and a skinnier physique. fun fact: fat in some areas (i.e. chest) may actually be more harmfull!!