weightloss question

JessicaBuff
JessicaBuff Posts: 233
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok I have put on about 30 lbs, and i have decided that I better do something now before it gets way out of hand..I was wanting to know if i should do cardio, loose the weight, then tone up? Or Do cardio and toning?? HELP PLEASE!!

Replies

• TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    That dpends on a number of factors. Most importantly, what are your goals? I'm a 215 lb man with a goal to bulk up and cut fat, and I eat and work out differently then a 150 lb woman who just wants to get thin.

You CAN tone up while losing fat, if you use resistance training and cardio in the right ways, but as I said, it all depends on what you want.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    cardio is good for every one, even the skinny people. you should at least 10 mins cardo a day just to help stay healthy.
  • That dpends on a number of factors. Most importantly, what are your goals? I'm a 215 lb man with a goal to bulk up and cut fat, and I eat and work out differently then a 150 lb woman who just wants to get thin.

You CAN tone up while losing fat, if you use resistance training and cardio in the right ways, but as I said, it all depends on what you want.

I dont wanna look bulky at all...I would like to get back to 130 (166 right now) and get my flat stomach, toned legs and butt back, and SOON! lol..Thanks!~
  • SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    You should probably look at it as doing both simultaneously. Cardio is great for burning the weight, but strength training and toning are also excellent for burning the calories.

Cardio will get your heart rate up and burn calories faster, but strength training will increase your muscle needs so they will burn calories longer throughout the day.

I would recommend rotating the workouts. you don't want to strength train and tone every day as it isn't good for you, but you could do a shorter cardio workout on the days you strength train and a longer cardio workout on the days you don't. A trainer once told me to always do 15 minutes of Cardio before and after strength training in order to warm up and cool off your muscles. If you could only do one, then do the one before the strength training.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Cardio works best to lose the weight but, depending on how much you have to lose, toning will help tone the body while losing weight. I did cardio initially and then introduced some toning and strength training along with the cardio - currently at about 80/20.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    I have always been told that is is best to do both of them together. The Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred has really helped me begin to see the tone in my muscles I want, and it really helped me to jump start my weight loss as well. It's not going to make you bulky, it's a strength and toning.
  • Toning will help you build just a little muscle and muscle can help you burn more calories quickly.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Combine weights and cardio to burn fat and tone up at the same time. choose weights you can do 10-18 times per set (don't go to light, or your wasting your time. You might not want to bulk up, but you DO have to build some muscle size to create an athletic, toned look.) and give each muscle you work 2-3 days rest before you hit that exact muscle again. Use circuit training to burn the fat while you lift and cut down your time committed to just cardio. Choose 2 muscles and go back and forth between the two while you lift. You'll be surprised at how much of a cardio workout you can get while also building strong, toned muscles.
This discussion has been closed.