Accuracy of your TDEE

Options
I wanted to see how accurate BMR and TDEE calculators were for me, so I net as close as possible to 1500 calories every day for a week and I lost exactly one pound. Now assuming the calories I burned during exercise using the tools on this site were accurate, there is about a 180 calorie difference between my real TDEE and the TDEE calculated for me using the Mifflin-St Jeor formula.

I know I have a slightly sluggish metabolism from testing I've had in the past, so that's really what prompted me to check the formula to reality. If you're eating an extra 180 calories over your goal a day without realizing you're not burning it off it can really start to add up!

Now, I'm not posting all the numbers and math here because I don't have an issue with them, but I am curious if others have looked at the difference in their calculated TDEE versus actual weight loss.

Replies

• hendrijm
    hendrijm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My RMR was measured with one of the breathing devices at the local hospital to be 1880 cals/day. It's higher than the calculators. The calculators guess it to be around 1600. Neither seem correct because I eat <1600 per day and somehow manage to lose only 0.4 pounds a week with 6+ hours of exercise. I do have thyroid problems, so this could be the culprit.