I feel like MFP has given me way to little calories to eat?

Options
Hello,
I'm a 21 year old female and just started MFP about two months ago (I haven't been doing it regularly so I've been really trying to stick to it.) The thing is, MFP says I should be eating 1570 calories a day. It's so hard for me because I usually eat around 1800-2000 a day. I did weight watchers for about two years and managed to lose about 30 pounds, but in the last six months since stopping because of financial issues, I have gained about 15 pounds (which is why I decided to try MFP, it tracks and it's free.) I am 175 pounds right now, my goal is to get to 145, a healthy weight for my height of 5'6. I talked to my Dad who is actually a health coach and he said that is too little.

Is 1570 calories a day too little for a 21 year old female who is 5'6 and 175 (trying to lose weight)
Can I lose weight on 1800-2000 calories a day? (on average I'm at 1800, very rarely do I get to 2000 calories a day)

I don't exercise regularly, although I am active during the day in daily activities for the most part (I'm a college student, I walk a lot, but I also do sit in class a lot.) I also have a part time job that is very active (working with kids, I'm running around and vigorously cleaning all day) I try to stretch and get more cardio, but with chronic back pain it's hard!

Any advice would be helpful! And is there any way to change the daily calories on MFP???

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me... I maintain at 1500-1600 when I'm not active
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You can custom set your own goal by going to diary then settings, I believe. Same thing for carbs, fat and protein.
    Mfp is designed to set a base, where you eat back any calories you burn off during activity, such as workouts or walking.
    Have you set your activity level to sedentary or to lightly active? If the former, I would suggest setting it to lightly active.
    I, personally, have mine set to 1500 calories, to lose half a Ib a week, but by the time I have added in my exercise, I am eating 1800-2200 a day.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    You can find out your TDEE and customise your own goal, however if you were eating 1800-2000 before and gaining or maintaining weight since I assume you were since you are here trying to lose, then 1570 sounds about right.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal tends to set calories a little lower than I think is healthy. I say you can bump it up a bit, but try and get a little exercise to burn it off! Also, you would need to find your tdee and BMR to accurately find your needs.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    it can be done. I do it with 1200 although I rarely eat only 1200 due to earning exercise calories. Try assessing your food choices. Modify what you are currently eating and make lower calories choices. This way you feel full longer. Limit the empty carbs, up your fiber and protein. Remember you can eat more if you put in the work as far as cardio and strength training goes. I would up my exercise more. That way you can eat the 1800 and still lose.