Bean / Legumes carbs and protein for dinner.

Options
Hello,

My goal is to lose about 40lbs and live a healthy lifestyle. I workout early mornings and from this week I decided to lean towards fruits and veggies more and that way I will get less carbs into my body.

What I am doing since 4 days is I get the carbs from cereals and bread until lunch. After lunch until next day morning I stuff myself with raw fruits, veggies and 1 cup soy milk. With this change I noticed a direct effect of it on my skin and hair. It makes me wonder if my body could not be getting enough nutrition esp. protein and iron in my body. As per MFP my I should get 100g iron and 60g protein (without workout, more if I workout) daily. Whereas my intake of iron on daily basis is between 50-60g and for protein is less than 50g.

I like taking natural food protein than the protein shakes. Question - I know beans and legumes are great source of protein, but it even has carbs in it. Since I am trying to avoid carbs at night, how about the complex carbs? Are they good for weight loss and especially for dinner? I am planning to include 1 cup of boiled lentils / mung beans (green gram) in dinner to increase my protein and iron intake.

Replies

• musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    As someone who was a vegetarian for 3 years I would try to avoid legumes in the evening. Everyone's body is different, but for me having too high of a starchy carb intake after a while caused me to gain weight. What else are you eating for a protein source? Send me a message if you would like and we can talk more
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If the goal is to lose weight, whether you eat carbs or fat or whatever, whether you eat in the morning or the middle of the night, it makes no difference at all. It is the total of calories that counts. Regarding your health, it is also about what you eat, not when you eat it. Whether you eat vegetables in the morning or bread for dinner, it is a personal preference. Count your calories and try to get some balance regarding nutrients. There is zero scientific evidence to believe that eating something at certain hours will make a difference in weight loss.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    "There is zero scientific evidence to believe that eating something at certain hours will make a difference in weight loss."

- and yet - as soon as I stopped eating after my evening meal at around 8pm, I moved off a reducing plateau and started losing weight steadily again.

It is not so much the time of day/night I was eating but more that I was more prone to eating comfort food into the late hours; which are generally high in calories.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    60g of protein is pretty low, especially if you're working out regularly.