Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead question!

Options
Hello! I watched the documentary a couple days ago, went out and bought a juicer, and 100.00 dollars in produce. I was wondering if anyone has any input on the "Naked" or "Odwalla" juices. Are they good to use?? I'm thinking I want to use those 2X a day and juice with my juicer 1X a day. Any info is appreciated, but please, no negative comments!

My reason for the "Naked" or "Odwalla" juices is because I have realized how time consuming making a juice 4X a day is!

Replies

• katiewilsonxo
    katiewilsonxo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love that documentary! I've never gone out and bought a juicer or anything because I find that most people that I've spoken to don't keep up with it but I do like the two juice brands that you've mentioned... I think that they would be a fairly good substitute to have in the fridge for when you're really on the go and don't have time.. they are very tasty as well!
  • joywarren29
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I have seen where people have said they have too much sugar in them, but I would think that from the juicer they would have just as much sugar, I didn't think anything was added to the "Naked" Juices.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Hello! I watched the documentary a couple days ago, went out and bought a juicer, and 100.00 dollars in produce. I was wondering if anyone has any input on the "Naked" or "Odwalla" juices. Are they good to use?? I'm thinking I want to use those 2X a day and juice with my juicer 1X a day. Any info is appreciated, but please, no negative comments!

My reason for the "Naked" or "Odwalla" juices is because I have realized how time consuming making a juice 4X a day is!

My condolences for getting suckered into that joke of a documentary. It has hidden agendas for money-making written all over it. Never trust a documentary whose conclusion is one specific program or plan that you have to pay money to get in on. Red flags all over the place.

My advice: return that juicer, and eat the $100 worth of produce as real, unf*cked-with, whole food. Your body does not need a reset, it does not need to be "cleansed" or "detoxed" from anything, it just needs good foods at a moderate calorie deficit. Hell, I'll even concede on the healthy part. You just need a calorie deficit. Juice has no special powers over weight loss and fitness that real food does not.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile I grab a bottled green juice, but I always buy Bolthouse, or I buy from a juice bar.
    There is actually a huge class action suit against Naked (PepsiCo is the parent company) for misrepresentation on their labels (they claim to be 'all natural' and 'non GMO' but they are not)
    I would suggest startig with the juicing at home for awhile!
    I make a larger amount at one time to reduce the annoyance since the parts have to be thoroughly cleaned with each use. Buy a pitcher with an air tight lid and keep for 2 days :)
    A lot of people would say three juices a day is a bit much because of the sugar, and I would tend to agree, but a big juice in the morning, especially with greens, can be pretty fantastic.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Naked and Odwalla juice is good... But EACH SMALL container of them has your total daily sugar in it. Which, I know I know, no food is bad, but when you have 4X your daily serving of ANYTHING, each day, its not good.

I would say drink 1 juice and have a nice big salad for lunch, you can even put fruit in your salad if you don't like veggies alone, and have a nice wholesome dinner.

If all you have is juice, you'll get plenty of vitamins/minerals, but little to no protein and wayyyyyy too much sugar!!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

My condolences for getting suckered into that joke of a documentary. It has hidden agendas for money-making written all over it. Never trust a documentary whose conclusion is one specific program or plan that you have to pay money to get in on. Red flags all over the place.

My advice: return that juicer, and eat the $100 worth of produce as real, unf*cked-with, whole food. Your body does not need a reset, it does not need to be "cleansed" or "detoxed" from anything, it just needs good foods at a moderate calorie deficit. Hell, I'll even concede on the healthy part. You just need a calorie deficit. Juice has no special powers over weight loss and fitness that real food does not.
    tumblr_mt80mvKYGn1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • NiikouruDesu
    Options
    Bottled juices are good for you! You can make a big batch of juice to last you one or two days, especially if it is citrus. Carrots are cheap to juice. I wouldn't recommend it for weightloss though unless you have a strong follow-up plan. Any type of fasting is possible, but if you go back to your original diet you will go back to your original size just like Joe Cross did.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Juicing...

2d2al8l.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

tumblr_mt80mvKYGn1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

^x2
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That movie is really just a long and well made infomercial.

There is definitely some value to juicing your veggies.. but I don't think its a good idea to go on these juice fasts where you do nothing but drink juice for long periods of time. Its too big a calorie deficit.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Naked and Odwalla juice is good... But EACH SMALL container of them has your total daily sugar in it. Which, I know I know, no food is bad, but when you have 4X your daily serving of ANYTHING, each day, its not good.

I would say drink 1 juice and have a nice big salad for lunch, you can even put fruit in your salad if you don't like veggies alone, and have a nice wholesome dinner.

If all you have is juice, you'll get plenty of vitamins/minerals, but little to no protein and wayyyyyy too much sugar!!

Not to mention all the fiber you throw out while making the juice :(
  • beerey05
    beerey05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm all for juicing, but not for replacing food... more of incorporating it into a healthy diet for the benefits and nutrients. I'm not sure where you live but we have little farmers market stores in San Diego where produce is sooo much cheaper ! Then when I juice I make a bunch at a time and put it in mason jars to keep it fresh. I recommend sticking to the fresh stuff rather than the store bought because you know exactly what's in it. I personally wouldn't do a cleanse for more then 3 days...you're body needs food for energy, eat clean, add juice! :)
  • zee_tee
    Options
    I saw that documentary and the entire time I was watching it all I could think about was "how bad is this was for your digestive system?" First of all I can'tt see it as a realistic lifestyle. Our human bodies have evolved to masticate (chew) and digest solid food. You are not doing any of that by "juicing" all your meals. Eventually at some point you are going to have to reintroduce solid foods into your diet...so in doing so, wouldn't that cause problems with your digestive system because it hasn't had to process solid foods in so long? They managed to maintain credibility by having doctor's monitor Joe's health and progress and in doing so it gives the convincing feel like this is the best way to lose weight and stay healthy.

Personally I think there are healthier was to GET HEALTHY. One where you are not cutting out fibre content. I think this documentary lacks credibility and the science is biased. One of the better health documentaries I've seen is one done by BBC.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJiF2WxNuqY I find this samples science from multiple sources.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. Already sold the juicer on Ebay. It is much better to just eat the vegetables!

I find its never good to go into a diet that isnt something you can do forever. It just messes up your metabolism. Eat good foods and excersize, and a calorie deficit will cause you to loose weight.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    While all sorts of cleanses and detoxes are useless, fake, and often dangerous, I do like juicing.

I like the taste of juice, and I like the nutrients it provides. It's more effective than a multivitamin (which I take in its place while I'm at school) and frankly, I'm not gonna eat kale or anything like that, so I can get some of the benefits from juicing it.

If you buy organic fruits and vegetables and wash before you juice, you can keep the pulp. Particularly, carrot-orange pulp makes delicious muffins.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Now you see why the quit their jobs to juice.

And don't forget medical supervision.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I've never seen the documentary, but I love all three: making my own juice, drinking Naked (juice that is :bigsmile: :laugh: ), and drinking Odwalla. It all depends on what you want to do.

However, I don't go for using juices as meal replacements, or subscribe to this whole thing about "juicing". I just think juice is good for a person to have in addition to real whole foods.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

THIS^^^^

Juice isn't magic. Just eat the damn fruit.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Why do people hate fibre so?

Keeps you regular and everything...
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    I echo everyone's sentiment. The documentary is a gimmick. AND bottled juices are just full of additives and sugar.

However, I LOVE juicing. I ADD it to my diet, not replace anything. I love to eat all my fruits in veggies in all the different ways I can, one of which is with fresh juice. I actually use my juicer the most when my produce is just about to go bad and I don't have know if I will use it before it goes.

I suggest keeping the juicer and adding some juices to your days if you want some extra nutrients.

IF you want to buy some juice at the store, I recommend the brand Evolution, love their stuff!!