Am I consuming enough calories?

Options
Hello! I'm new to my fitness pal but have used a few other calorie tracking apps, I've always wondered whether to consume the calories you burn. Obviously you burn calories 24/7 so to track them completely you'd have to even put into consideration when you're sleeping. So far I've just been writing my excercise in my notes so I don't get confused but am not sure if I'm eating enough. I generally do an hour long intense work out each day and mon-Thurs most of the day I'm not very active as I only work weekends. I'm not necessarily trying to lose weight because I understand that muscle weighs more than fat so I guess I'm just trying to lose a bit of excess flab, any opinions on whether 1300calories a day is sufficient when I am exercising but inactive majority of the day?

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Um, well no. No, I don't think it's sufficient. If MFP's system worked perfectly, that might be okay if you're eating back your exercise calories.

According to your profile, you're 20 years old. Me too! Just one thing: MFP's calculators are made for people 35+. As a young person, you should be eating more because your metabolism runs more quickly. As a lightly active person, my maintenance level is about 2300 calories, but MFP would give me a similar goal to yours - a full 500 calories off! So I would put yourself on at least lightly active, if not moderately active, and eat back exercise calories.