How to lose the last 10 lbs?

Options
madi777
madi777 Posts: 11 Member
Hi everyone,

I have been on and off MFP for about a year now (having struggled with eating disorders in the past). Now that I feel I have conquered my eating disorders I would like to lose a little bit of weight!

I currently weigh 143 lbs (65kg) and am hoping to weigh 132 lbs (60kg) by this July- so in 5-6 months time. I am 5'6 (167 cm tall).

I was wondering what your best tips were for me to lose weight? I always seem to be able to start cutting my calories but after a while (5 days to 2 weeks) I start to lose motivation/ feel ravinous/ get an insatiable urge to binge and this time I really want to get past that.

I know it might be a bit more difficult because I am actually at a healthy weight (BMI of 23.3) and have a larger frame, but I just wanted to know some tips on how you achieved your weightloss!
:smile:

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You're right, it WILL be difficult since you'e already a healthy bmi - have you clarified for yourself why you have that particular goal weight?

How's your exercise routine - are you doing any strength work?

As it will be a long slow process you'll need tons of patience, and also the resilience not to be put off by long periods with no loss.
  • aprilholland
    Options
    Don't deny yourself delicious foods that you enjoy. But if you're craving chocolate, don't grab a bag of chocolate chips; grab ten chocolate chips. Enjoy them! Don't feel guilty about them or about any food--enjoy it for the wonderful experience it is. Focus on moderation. Try to get the most enjoyment out of healthy things--a fresh peach, a great salad, delicious grilled chicken. Eat slowly and enjoy yourself.
    One of my best tips is largely applicable to restaurants so this helps mostly if you eat lunch (or dinner) out on a semi-regular basis. I ask for half for here and half to go. That way I get to eat and enjoy everything on my plate without feeling deprived, I'm full, and I have a second meal for dinner or for lunch the next day. This could also be applied to meals you prepare at home; simply serve about half of what you normally put on your plate. Try not to snack while you're preparing food.
    Don't skip breakfast and be sure to get plenty of protein. (I add protein powder to oatmeal in the morning--you don't have to have a big breakfast but sure to have one!--and if you like cottage cheese, it's an excellent low-cal source of protein and you can add fruit, nuts, honey.)
    The most important thing--and since you didn't mention it, I'm not sure if you're doing it--is exercise. Find something--ANYTHING!--you enjoy and make it part of your everyday routine. Classes work for me because I love the team energy and the camaraderie but for you it might be a team sport, hiking, or even just regular evening walks. Whatever it is, YOU MUST STICK WITH IT. Meaning, when life gets in the way--which it will--do not move exercise down on your list. It's a good idea for me to have a goal of five days a week because sometimes, no matter what you do, something will screw up at least one of your days. Do whatever it takes to make your exercise happen; on your weight-loss journey this should be Priority One. Don't forget strength training. (Cardio is important and that's how you burn calories, but the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn during cardio. It also weighs more than fat so it looks better on your body AND it increases your metabolism.) It is my opinion that long-term health (and the ability to actually keep off the unhealthy weight you've released) is dependent on exercise. Remember that you aren't taking off weight just for the cosmetic effects but for lifelong health benefits.
    A huge congratulations in conquering your eating disorder. That is such a massive accomplishment in itself! And whatever triggers you might have in that area--you know what they are--be sure to NOT subject yourself to them even if you think you've got in under control and even if it involves some helpful advice someone (including me!) gave you. The MOST important thing is keeping you mentally healthy and feeling happy and satisfied with you as you are. Best of luck on your journey!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Tip for success (particularly for an ex-eating disorder sufferer): do not set it to -2kg a week, that will land you with a calorie goal of about 1200 and that is very restrictive and more likely to have you bingeing after a week. Set your deficit to -0.5kg a week and you will have enough calories to still enjoy food without having to be overly restrictive about it.
  • brownll
    brownll Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How to lose the last 10 pounds
    For accountability, I belong to TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) which is a very inexpensive volunteer club with chapters in almost every town, and I weigh in weekly to reach a weight set by my doctor. Losing the first 50 pounds was the easiest, but losing my last 2-3 pounds was the hardest. I rode my exercise bike daily for an hour or more, but on the weeks that I succumbed to 1-2 sessions of binging, I added jogging the track for 5-10 miles. I'm in my 50's and hate jogging, because I had a bad fall last year. So, as a good deterrent to binging, I have photos of myself in my jogging clothes on my fridge and food cabinet. This helps remind me to do what I can to not binge, or keep the binge short, so that I don't have to jog. Also, I tracked my food and calories on myfitnesspal every day. I planned my meals the day ahead, and planned in small treats, that were low in sugar, so I didn't feel deprived.
    Now that I am maintaining my weight loss of 120 pounds, I have to stay within a KOPS (Keep Off Pounds Sensibly) leeway and it is darn tricky. Maintenance of the weight lost, is a whole 'nother animal from getting to the goal weight, but it allows me to learn how to cope with life without eating my feelings. When I have the urge for a specific food, I know that I am dealing with a feeling and not hunger. So, I try to comfort myself with non-food activities.
    So my non-medical advice is:
    1. Have your doctor approve your goal weight.
    2. Join a group for support and accountability.
    3. Exercise regularly and track your calories. For binge eaters, it's easier to increase the exercise (reasonably) than to decrease the calories.
    4. Plan small treats, but comfort yourself with non-food activities when you're struggling with feelings.
  • Barro627
    Barro627 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Dear Friend,
    We are on the same journey and I would like to share four tools that have the ability to ensure our success:

1. A definable, written need to change.
    2. A fact based plan that we can believe in and work daily.
    3. A focus more powerful than any negativity we encounter.
    4. A heart felt vision that we see, feel and rehearse daily.

Watch the video- Eat Fast and Live Longer by Dr Michael Mosley.

No companies to join, no products to buy. Just incredible results
    based on wide-ranging scientific research.

I hope that you find this film as valuable as I have. It's a life changer...changed mine. I'm over 30lbs down, feeling great, with all vitals back to normal.

Looking forward to seeing you out on the trail,
    All the best,
    Barry
  • madi777
    madi777 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your replies! From reading through them, I can see that I need to keep my diet pretty clean and stick with it! I know the last 10 lbs are difficult to lose and much slower, so it will take a good amount of time as well!

A strange thing happened! After eating 500 cals surplus yesterday, I actually lost 1.5 lbs (0.6 kg) this morning! Can anyone tell me why?
    Is it because I am not eating enough calories usually?