I really need help!

Options
Hi,

I'm Sherie. I weigh about 125pounds and my height is around 5"3 to 5"4.

I've been trying to lose my last 10 pounds for years but to no avail. Just last October, I realised it's the food that plays a huge part in toning and losing weight, not the amount of time I spent in gym. So I started to eat healthily. In another word, I eat clean, 99% of the time.

5 months later, I'm still at point A. How frustrated is that?!?!

I go for boot camp sessions twice a week for an hour each. I do power yoga 3 times a week. I also go for my hatha class once a week together with my core class for an hour. Sometimes, I even do weight training for 30 mins once a week.. all these, together with Shred diet (Dr Ian Smith), I'm not losing a single pound. If I could swear here, I would!

I really don't know what is wrong with my body. I'm frustrated.

The only time I see results is when I did Dukan diet for 10 days (I lost 2kg) but I had to stop due to some complications. Also, I also saw results when I did juice diet for 4 days.. but needless to say, the weight crept right back after that.

My daily calorie intake hovers around 1000 to 1100.. There was a time when I was so desperate, I only ate around 700 to 800 cals a day but nothing happened.

I'm sick of being slightly on the pudgy side. I want, I need to lose those damn 10 pounds!!

Help!!

Replies

• krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherie, you are probably experiencing this from several possible factors - I would suggest first you recheck your Basal Metabolic Rate on google to double check what your actual calories burned per day are ---> remember BMR is guidance of calorie burned if you laid in bed all day - so you have to add calories burned for all the activities you do e.g. walking about, running and even standing as that burns (although minimal) calories nonetheless.

Second point, in my opinion you are eating too low calories - by doing this, your body adapts and has a slower metabolic rate - you basically then suffer gaining weight dramatically if you have a bit more calories than usual - I would assume (but may stand corrected though) your actual calorie intake is around 1300-1600 calories per day - if this is the case, do not suddenly eat this much calories as your metabolism might be slow at teh moment so the weight can increase rapidly even though this is your normal burn rate - gradually increase your calories (~100kcal) per week) till you meet your BMR then stay at that calorie count for about a month - then drop 100-200 calories from your BMR.

Third and most important - eat your food but watch the calories - in my opinion stupid diets such as Shred/Dukan etc. are not productive in the long run - they may help curb off weight initially but since you are trying to lose your last 10 lbs, eat like normal people but watch the calories - that is all - I lost up to 50 lbs in 6 months (yes radical but safely done) under eating like my normal habits but watching the calories. You technically do not even need to go gym to lose weight although muscle mass will fade away!

P.S. Stay calm and keep going - almost there and you should be proud for even trying - good luck and hope i have helped with this ramble and pm if you need more advice! :)
  • Nancy33333
    Nancy33333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 130 and definitely not pudgy. What size clothes are you wearing?
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been trying to lose my last 10 pounds for years but to no avail. Just last October, I realised it's the food that plays a huge part in toning and losing weight, not the amount of time I spent in gym. So I started to eat healthily. In another word, I eat clean, 99% of the time.

I go for boot camp sessions twice a week for an hour each. I do power yoga 3 times a week. I also go for my hatha class once a week together with my core class for an hour. Sometimes, I even do weight training for 30 mins once a week.. all these, together with Shred diet (Dr Ian Smith), I'm not losing a single pound. If I could swear here, I would!

The only time I see results is when I did Dukan diet for 10 days (I lost 2kg) but I had to stop due to some complications. Also, I also saw results when I did juice diet for 4 days.. but needless to say, the weight crept right back after that.

My daily calorie intake hovers around 1000 to 1100.. There was a time when I was so desperate, I only ate around 700 to 800 cals a day but nothing happened.

I'm sick of being slightly on the pudgy side. I want, I need to lose those damn 10 pounds!!

Help!!

THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUEL YOUR BODY!!! EAT EAT EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I am sure with your stats your a healthy weight for your height? Pudgy..... Maybe you think you are, but I bet to others you look FAB!!!!!!!!!
  • abradeen2013
    abradeen2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try eating more -but make sure that it is quality food, and make sure you are drinking enough water. Lean proteins, lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains. Try two weeks with only whole, unprocessed foods and see if that helps. I have also found that I am personally VERY sodium sensitive. If my diet is to high in sodium, it doesn't matter what I do, the weight wants to hold on. I hope that helps!
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherie - I am also 5'4. I was stuck at 135 for two years eating...1200 calories or less a day. I also went down to 800, 700, even to 300 calories a day trying to lose because I was so frustrated. Didn't lose an ounce.

Folks on MFP told me to eat more. I ignored them because it seemed counterproductive. I ignored them for about a year...and finally I tried out what they told me.

I figured out my BMR (basal metabolic rate) and my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and I eat a very modest deficit from that. Not sure about you...but my BMR is about 1215-ish. TDEE varies depending on activity, but normal days I burn about 1600, sedentary days I burn about 1300, and if I run or do any kind of workout, TDEE is around 2200. I aim for a 300-500 calorie deficit from TDEE, and it works.

Regular food. No weird diets that I can't sustain. The only thing I changed about my diet is that I raised my protein goals and that lowered my carb goals. I got down to 117 before the holidays and was feeling better than I had felt in years. (At that time, I was running almost every day, and my burn was around 2200/day, so I was eating about 1800 calories a day. And losing weight.

Seems counterproductive. But it works. Really, really. If you have been eating so low, and you raise your calories to something more sustainable, you'll probably see a spike on the scale...but I promise, if you stick with it for a bit, it will start to go down. (I was always told to stay with a new thing for 3 weeks so my body could adjust. It seems to work.)

Good luck - and I hope you'll listen to everyone here...you can seriously harm your body by eating too little.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Also - to all the folks here wondering about low weights and "pudgy"ness...

I don't know about OP, but personally, at 125lbs, I look a lot fatter than someone with my same build who is muscular and weighs 140. My scale puts me at 28%BF right now at 122...I weighed 118 in my profile picture, and was at 26%BF. I fully admit that I'd be a lot happier weighing more if I looked like some of you who are more toned. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi,

Help!!

I looked at your food diary and you do not log calories. So how do you know how many calories you eat? Honestly, you should be eating enough calories to hold onto your muscle. You will stay pudgey if you do not have enough muscle to make you lean and tight. When you eat 800-1100 calories a day and are active, you are just going to burn some fat and some muscle... especially since you are lean. At this point, you want a small deficit, adequate protein and good body composition to get lean. If you are close to underweight, it's possible you need to bulk to add mass to make up for your mistakes in the past to get lean. Example below.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad that people on this forum are trying to help you lose more weight With a BMI of 22 you don't need to lose weight. Concentrate on exercise and eating properly and you'll get the look you want rarher than striving for some mythical magical number. Go over the the fitness forum and ask for some advice on Resistance training
  • maamee
    maamee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherie, you are probably experiencing this from several possible factors - I would suggest first you recheck your Basal Metabolic Rate on google to double check what your actual calories burned per day are ---> remember BMR is guidance of calorie burned if you laid in bed all day - so you have to add calories burned for all the activities you do e.g. walking about, running and even standing as that burns (although minimal) calories nonetheless.

Second point, in my opinion you are eating too low calories - by doing this, your body adapts and has a slower metabolic rate - you basically then suffer gaining weight dramatically if you have a bit more calories than usual - I would assume (but may stand corrected though) your actual calorie intake is around 1300-1600 calories per day - if this is the case, do not suddenly eat this much calories as your metabolism might be slow at teh moment so the weight can increase rapidly even though this is your normal burn rate - gradually increase your calories (~100kcal) per week) till you meet your BMR then stay at that calorie count for about a month - then drop 100-200 calories from your BMR.

Third and most important - eat your food but watch the calories - in my opinion stupid diets such as Shred/Dukan etc. are not productive in the long run - they may help curb off weight initially but since you are trying to lose your last 10 lbs, eat like normal people but watch the calories - that is all - I lost up to 50 lbs in 6 months (yes radical but safely done) under eating like my normal habits but watching the calories. You technically do not even need to go gym to lose weight although muscle mass will fade away!

P.S. Stay calm and keep going - almost there and you should be proud for even trying - good luck and hope i have helped with this ramble and pm if you need more advice! :)

I have a confession ~ i haven't been eating like normal people for a few months. Every time i do, i'd just weigh heavier. It's crazy.. It seems like i am only maintaining my current weight with 1000cals.. anything more than that, it's a gain!

My aim is to shred the flabby abs, stomach and tummy, tone up the arms and hopefully, lose 10 pounds? :)
  • maamee
    Options

Well, i am... I'm definitely not skinny.
  • maamee
    Options
    Hi,

Help!!

THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUEL YOUR BODY!!! EAT EAT EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I am sure with your stats your a healthy weight for your height? Pudgy..... Maybe you think you are, but I bet to others you look FAB!!!!!!!!!

Grin! Actually, others do think i look pretty fab. HAHAhAHAHA! (but that's because they've not seen me in bikini yet! :P)
  • maamee
    Options
    Try eating more -but make sure that it is quality food, and make sure you are drinking enough water. Lean proteins, lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains. Try two weeks with only whole, unprocessed foods and see if that helps. I have also found that I am personally VERY sodium sensitive. If my diet is to high in sodium, it doesn't matter what I do, the weight wants to hold on. I hope that helps!

I'm conscious to my sodium intake now.. i'm actually on gluten free, paleo lifestyle.. i hardly eat unprocessed food.. but yes, gotta agree with you, i need to watch my sodium intake.. AND my water intake. I dislike drinking water.. bleh.
  • maamee
    Options
    Hi Sherie - I am also 5'4. I was stuck at 135 for two years eating...1200 calories or less a day. I also went down to 800, 700, even to 300 calories a day trying to lose because I was so frustrated. Didn't lose an ounce.

Folks on MFP told me to eat more. I ignored them because it seemed counterproductive. I ignored them for about a year...and finally I tried out what they told me.

I figured out my BMR (basal metabolic rate) and my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and I eat a very modest deficit from that. Not sure about you...but my BMR is about 1215-ish. TDEE varies depending on activity, but normal days I burn about 1600, sedentary days I burn about 1300, and if I run or do any kind of workout, TDEE is around 2200. I aim for a 300-500 calorie deficit from TDEE, and it works.

Regular food. No weird diets that I can't sustain. The only thing I changed about my diet is that I raised my protein goals and that lowered my carb goals. I got down to 117 before the holidays and was feeling better than I had felt in years. (At that time, I was running almost every day, and my burn was around 2200/day, so I was eating about 1800 calories a day. And losing weight.

Seems counterproductive. But it works. Really, really. If you have been eating so low, and you raise your calories to something more sustainable, you'll probably see a spike on the scale...but I promise, if you stick with it for a bit, it will start to go down. (I was always told to stay with a new thing for 3 weeks so my body could adjust. It seems to work.)

Good luck - and I hope you'll listen to everyone here...you can seriously harm your body by eating too little.

WOW! Your reply gave me hope. Your situation sounded EXACTLY like mine.. I just checked my BMR, it hovers around yours.. same for TDEE. Hmmm.. but gawd, it's really scary to take that first step into eating more cals.. especially when i'm headed for a beach holiday (think bikini!) in less than 1 month's time!

What i should i do?!?!

Start now, increase the cals.. and look huge for my holiday, or do it later when i'm back? Meanwhile, go crazy on workouts and maintain current calorie intake?
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

This is my question, too. Maybe that last 10 pounds won't come off because it shouldn't come off. 125 pounds for someone 5'3" - 5'4" should be about right. Maybe a readjustment of your body image is required, not an adjustment to your diet?
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Maybe 125 pounds is just right for your height? Maybe your body doesn't need to be any smaller. When I weighed 130 pounds I kept trying to get to 120. I finally realized 130 is probably exactly where I needed to be.
  • maamee
    Options
    Hi,

Help!!

I looked at your food diary and you do not log calories. So how do you know how many calories you eat? Honestly, you should be eating enough calories to hold onto your muscle. You will stay pudgey if you do not have enough muscle to make you lean and tight. When you eat 800-1100 calories a day and are active, you are just going to burn some fat and some muscle... especially since you are lean. At this point, you want a small deficit, adequate protein and good body composition to get lean. If you are close to underweight, it's possible you need to bulk to add mass to make up for your mistakes in the past to get lean. Example below.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I know because i've logged those same food over and over and over again. I'm definitely not close to underweight. I'm just your average size girl with flabby bits.
  • maamee
    Options

This is my question, too. Maybe that last 10 pounds won't come off because it shouldn't come off. 125 pounds for someone 5'3" - 5'4" should be about right. Maybe a readjustment of your body image is required, not an adjustment to your diet?

Trust me, i look big in photos. My only reason for not liking to be photographed.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Maybe just try strength training and firming up? Losing weight won't necessarily make you look less pudgy. Get toned.
  • maamee
    Options
    Maybe 125 pounds is just right for your height? Maybe your body doesn't need to be any smaller. When I weighed 130 pounds I kept trying to get to 120. I finally realized 130 is probably exactly where I needed to be.

Just 2 years ago when i was more normal, my weight was around 110-115 for years.. until i started consuming bread like no tomorrow for almost a year.. After that, i realised i was mildly allergic to wheat but it was too late by then. I had ballooned to 125 and till now, the weight got stuck no matter what. Sigh.
  • maamee
    Options
    Maybe just try strength training and firming up? Losing weight won't necessarily make you look less pudgy. Get toned.

Let me share with you my weekly schedule :

Mon : rest day
    Tues : morning boot camp 1 hour + vinyasa yoga 1 hour
    Wed : hatha 2 for 1.5 hours + core class 1 hour
    Thurs : morning boot camp 1 hour + vinyasa yoga 1 hour
    Fri : rest day
    Sat : vinyasa yoga 1 hour
    Sun : rest day or weight training at the gym 30 mins