losing weight better without exercise?

Options
Whenever i exercise and watch my calorie intake the scale usually stays where it is or it sometimes goes up, but whenever I don't exercise and watch my calorie intake i often find that the scale drops quite a bit for me. Usually about 1 or 2 pounds a day

I don't know if there's any explanation for this but does anyone else feel that they loose weight better without exercise?

Replies

• lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think losing weight is 70% food and 30% exercise. Exercising allows you to eat a little more and still be in a calorie deficit but, it still takes a loss of 3500 calories to lose a pound. When you exercise, your body retains water in the muscles so, you will weigh more but, you should be getting more toned. After a while, the lbs will go down.

Make sure that you are not eating more when exercising thinking that you can!!! Do both when you can but if you can't exercise, make sure to watch your portions and calories.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely say slow up on the workouts, but do more intense with less... if you know what I mean.

Instead of doing an hour of ordinary Zumba, do 30 minutes of Zumba while incorporating tuck jumps, lunges, burpees and mountain climbers.

Instead of a leisurely walk around town for an hour, do 45 minutes of walk / run drills.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight without exercise as long as you eat at a calorie deficit, but some of it could be lean body mass (muscle). That's where the term "skinny fat" comes from--some people lose weight, but they end up with very little muscle. Exercising helps you to preserve and develop your muscles. When you exercise regularly, you may not lose pounds right away, but you'll be able to measure and see that you're losing inches. That's because you're losing fat but gaining lean muscle. A pound is the same weight no matter what it's made of, but a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, which is why you may start by losing inches.
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight without exercise as long as you eat at a calorie deficit, but some of it could be lean body mass (muscle). That's where the term "skinny fat" comes from--some people lose weight, but they end up with very little muscle. Exercising helps you to preserve and develop your muscles. When you exercise regularly, you may not lose pounds right away, but you'll be able to measure and see that you're losing inches. That's because you're losing fat but gaining lean muscle. A pound is the same weight no matter what it's made of, but a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, which is why you may start by losing inches.

Interesting and true. My dad had major surgery and lost 30 lbs in 2 months. He was skinny but weak and atrophied muscles!!! Lost with low calories but looked horrible.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    If you just started exercising, you're probably retaining a little water. If you stick with it the fluctuations will start to even out after a couple weeks.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I think losing weight is 70% food and 30% exercise. Exercising allows you to eat a little more and still be in a calorie deficit but, it still takes a loss of 3500 calories to lose a pound. When you exercise, your body retains water in the muscles so, you will weigh more but, you should be getting more toned. After a while, the lbs will go down.

Make sure that you are not eating more when exercising thinking that you can!!! Do both when you can but if you can't exercise, make sure to watch your portions and calories.

I would say 90% food and 10% exercise - if you are out eating the calories burned in the gym... you simply cannot lose weight!
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Exercise definitely helps me along with strength training.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    That's water weight from you exercising - When you stop exercising, the number on the scale goes down!

But your not toning yourself, getting that heart rate up, getting a good sweat on!

When I work out - I feel REALLY good after - Whereas if I watch T.V and do nothing - I feel bad... If you know what I mean?
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It's better WITH exercise.

While most of the weight loss comes from the way you eat and your calorie deficit, how your body looks and feels POST weight loss depends almost 100% on whether or not you were exercising. It will help you tone and tighten, and honestly the slower you lose weight the better it is for your skin.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Think of the long term. Exercise is great for our bodies. Make sure you arent over estimating your calorie burn that could be why the scale isnt moving as fast. But either way its for the long haul maybe your retaining some water etc.. TAke your measurements every 2 weeks or every month and see if your getting smaller, fitter, trimmer, thats what really matters.