Getting my butt into gear - advice needed!

Options
Hi there. My name's Nicola and I've just joined this forum, but I've been using MFP for a while (on and off).

So some background on me: I'm 25 years old, 5'7 and currently weigh 11st 3 and wear mostly size 12 clothes (UK). I'd really, really love to get back down to my previous 9st 5. I used to play competitive football and hockey, plus go rock climbing every week, and they all kept me really fit, but I stopped about 3 years ago and since then the weight has just crept on. I work as a teacher so I'm on my feet all day but not a massive amount of movement.

So after realising I am currently at my heaviest EVER I've decided to kick my butt into gear. The plan is gym 2-3 times a week, fitness class 1-2 times a week and some at-home exercises (I'm currently doing the 30 day squat challenge!). I really need to try get an instructor at the gym to get some sort of plan for me as at the moment I'm just turning up and doing 20 minutes each on random machines without much knowledge of what good they're actually doing. My main target areas are stomach and hips, but I'd also really love to slim down my thighs and arms (so whole body then...).

In terms of diet I've recently started a meal replacement shake diet. I know they're not the best but the problem is I'm such a fussy eater and there's a million foods I can't stand the taste of. I see all these healthy eating plans which include eating lots of egg and fish but I just can't stand them. So I have two meal replacement shakes a day and then one healthy meal for dinner (such as a turkey curry, jacket potato, wholemeal pasta). I've also completely stopped snacking on crisps or chocolate and instead I'll have a banana or some carrot sticks/wholemeal pitta with low fat humous. I'm sticking to a maximum of 1200 calories a day.

I just really have no idea if I'm on the right tracks. I've no idea if everything I'm doing will work. I really need someone with experience to come and tell me what's what. I keep hoping some buff bloke at the gym will come along and offer to be my personal trainer for free!

Replies

• nicolabarratt267
    Options
    Bump - anyone?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'd start small. First getting a caloric deficit, which at 1200 should be there. i would then rethink the 1200 goal. Dont give up all the foods that you love. Mess around with your settings to see how it affects your calories. Then read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicola, Mikaela gave you an excellent start. Read up on BMR and TDEE. Once you become familiar, you'll understand where your nutritional needs lie. You really should not be set on that 1200 calorie mark, keep an open mind while reading the provided links and aforementioned acronyms.

As for personal trainer, I'd gladly volunteer but rather difficult from across the pond. That said, if you have a smart phone, there is a fabulous app named "Fitness Buddy Free". It will at least show you the proper and multiple exercises for your different muscle groups.

I'd gladly help more....send a FR if you wish.
  • nicolabarratt267
    Options
    Thank you both. I really am pretty clueless when it comes to nutrition. My knowledge goes as far as eat less calories = lose weight. I'll have a read up.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    as SGM has suggested - definitely read up on BMR and TDEE - best wishes to you!
  • nicolabarratt267
    Options
    So according to BMR I should be on 1800 cal to maintain weight, so around 1300 to lose weight.

What's everyone's opinions on meal replacement shakes?
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but if I were you I wouldn't do them. Realistically you won't be using them forever and the last thing you need is get all your weight back once you have lost it - too much hard work for nothing. Better to take it a little slower and end up with habits you can keep up for the next 60+ years, than loose the weight a month before and be back to square one (or worse) within a year.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    As far a exercise goes, its all trial and error, but just keep trying. Try different things and find what works for you and your lifestyle.

Getting an instructor or personal trainer at the gym is a good idea. If you can afford it, schedule several sessions, so that you can get into a routine and get proper form down. That will also force you to the gym. I like to do classes at the gym because I have to be there at a specific time. After a while, I meet others in classes and I like going so I can chat with them.

IMO you need to figure out how to balance cardio work, weights/strength exercises and stretching/yoga. Everyone has different opinions on how much of each. I'm good at the cardio, but not so good at the other two. It sounds like you have a good mix right now. A personal trainer might help you with that as well.

Have fun.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I just wanted to say, listen to him^^^. He knows what he's talking about!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mrsljacob
    mrsljacob Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would look up some articles on eating clean. Protein shakes should not be your main source of fuel, but should add to your daily diet (if you use them.) Here are some articles about eating clean. Some people eat 5-6 small meals a day, personally it doesn't work for my life style, I follow a more paleo style eating plan. Like I said, protein shakes should enhance your diet, not be your total diet. Once you stop drinking them, you will gain the weight back. You can do this! Feel free to FR me if you want. :)

Eating Clean
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ryanm14.htm
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/eating-clean-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html
    http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/mehmet-oz-md/eating-clean-tony-horton-diet
    http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/personalities/ask-the-doctor/benefits-of-limiting-processed-foods/

Paleo
    http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/paleo-benefits/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
    http://paleogrubs.com/paleo-benefits
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My name's Nicola and I've just joined this forum, but I've been using MFP for a while (on and off).

So some background on me: I'm 25 years old, 5'7 and currently weigh 11st 3 and wear mostly size 12 clothes (UK). I'd really, really love to get back down to my previous 9st 5. I used to play competitive football and hockey, plus go rock climbing every week, and they all kept me really fit, but I stopped about 3 years ago and since then the weight has just crept on. I work as a teacher so I'm on my feet all day but not a massive amount of movement.

So after realising I am currently at my heaviest EVER I've decided to kick my butt into gear. The plan is gym 2-3 times a week, fitness class 1-2 times a week and some at-home exercises (I'm currently doing the 30 day squat challenge!). I really need to try get an instructor at the gym to get some sort of plan for me as at the moment I'm just turning up and doing 20 minutes each on random machines without much knowledge of what good they're actually doing. My main target areas are stomach and hips, but I'd also really love to slim down my thighs and arms (so whole body then...).

In terms of diet I've recently started a meal replacement shake diet. I know they're not the best but the problem is I'm such a fussy eater and there's a million foods I can't stand the taste of. I see all these healthy eating plans which include eating lots of egg and fish but I just can't stand them. So I have two meal replacement shakes a day and then one healthy meal for dinner (such as a turkey curry, jacket potato, wholemeal pasta). I've also completely stopped snacking on crisps or chocolate and instead I'll have a banana or some carrot sticks/wholemeal pitta with low fat humous. I'm sticking to a maximum of 1200 calories a day.

I just really have no idea if I'm on the right tracks. I've no idea if everything I'm doing will work. I really need someone with experience to come and tell me what's what. I keep hoping some buff bloke at the gym will come along and offer to be my personal trainer for free!

At 5'7," I'd say that 1200 is too low for you. Try this calculator instead:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    So according to BMR I should be on 1800 cal to maintain weight, so around 1300 to lose weight.

What's everyone's opinions on meal replacement shakes?

Not sustainable long term so I don't think they are a good idea.
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicola,

You've had some very good advice but just wanted to comment as I'm 5'6 and have gone from 11st to 9st 10lbs so a similar weight loss.
    I personally find 1200 too few calories unless I eat my exercise calories back. I've found 1300-1400 easier to stick to and still gives me a loss each week.
    Also best things I've found exercise wise are to get a HRM, starting spinning and take up running. Running has done more for my figure than anything else I've ever tried.

Good luck, feel free to add if you want any support :-)
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Definately read sidesteel's guide to getting your sexy pants!