Getting out of your head while running?

Options

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to suggest a running group or partner. This type of thing happens to me, too. I'll plan a 6 mile run and find myself wanting to quit at around mile 3. It's a lot harder to just stop when you're with someone else.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Slowing down can help a lot. When I'm going too fast, my body never tells me "Hey, you're going to fast."

It says "You have a twinge over here." "You can't do this" "You need to pee" "You need a drink of water." "You need a little more air."

Essentially, it reminds me of my 4-year-old at bed time. I slow up a bit and all of that mental noise goes away.

Out and back runs are also great. As the classic Mark Remy poster says "Just when you think you can't run another step...you remember you are four miles from home. So you suck it up because that's where the food is."

http://www.runnersworld.com/photos/motivational-posters
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem when I run on the TM. I look at the time/calories/distance and start thinking ok I will take a break and walk when I reach..... I realized that I am just setting myself up to allow myself to stop even if I don't need to. I have started having this conversation in my head with myself about not needing a break and sometime I hear Jillian Michaels saying that you have to push yourself outside of your comfort zone.

I also have this problem with outdoor running, I keep checking my watch for time. I've tried running without a watch but I still psych myself out. A different route and good music seem to help. I also try to focus on my surroundings to stay in the moment instead of letting the thoughts in my head take over my run.

Best of luck.

Karen
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i cannot listen to music at all, i focus on the birds, and the bush, all nature for me, motivates me better.,
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    This is all really helpful, thank you all so much!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I always listen to podcasts when running. I hate running, and whilst I'm doing it all I can think about is how much I hate it. Music just gets lost in the background. With a podcast (would work the same with an audiobook I presume) it's something I actually have to concentrate on, works as a good distraction.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    not every run should be executed at the same pace - lets say you are running 10 min miles on you 3 miles run twice a week - and your 3rd run is the run you are adding distance to - run that at 11 mm pace.

There is also no reason why you can not stop for 1 min - stretch walk and them start to tun again - in fact in a long race you will likely be stopping at the water station every 3 miles or so anyway
  • des10705
    des10705 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like to listen to music, and when i get that tired feeling, i tell myself you are more than 1/8 done, 1/4 done, 1/2 done, whew almost home, usually by then the muscles have calmed down. and I tell myseld it all down hill to the end.
    Think about other stuff, anything, make fun of people you see while running (thats the best).
    JUST KEEP GOING!!!!
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    What is your running program schedule like? Are you switching it up? Not just jogging all the time, but doing intervals for speed days and jogging for mileage days?

Interval days I definitely have to push myself, but they are intervals so if I need to I will jog as slow as a turtle during recovery.

For my long runs which I do at a slower pace, I turn my brain completely off and just stare straight ahead... like a zombie... ten's of minutes will pass before I tell myself hmmm maybe I should look at my watch. If you have a running app which tells you speed, distance, pace, etc maybe turn it to mute and just let yourself run and enjoy your music.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    A couple of things to try. First, make sure you are adequately hydrated, I don't mean during your run, I mean the rest of the time. Second, slow down. I run 5k races in 26:04. I run 5k everyday at lunch in usually 30-33 minutes. It's a nice easy, sustainable pace and actually very pleasant and not taxing on my body. I love my easy 3 at lunch! Three, distraction. Run with a group or a buddy. I use the zombies run app or listen to podcasts. That way my brain is too busy to tell me to quit. And make sure you are getting adequate rest and that you are eating enough.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I put it down to "some days are like that."

Usually, I can disconnect my head from my legs and I love those runs, my thoughts flit from deep theological issues to "oh look, there's a cloud over there and it looks like a dragon" to wondering what's going on with a friend to "how much longer" to work stuff... And I feel like I could go on and on.

And then there are other days when it feels like I'm made of lead and every step is a trial. On those days, I tell myself that if I just can make it til about 2/3s of my regular run, I can quit. I can power through til that point and then I give myself permission to stop. By that point, I usually decide to keep going but every once in a while I stop.

Some days are happier runs than others.

Pretty much this. I "write" blog posts or make up stories in my head. They are fantastic but once my run is over I can't remember them. LOL

And yah, the bad days I tell myself I have to do X and if I reach X and don't think i can go anymore I give myself permission to stop. If I reach X and feel good I push on until I finish the scheduled workout. More often than not I just keep going.
  • WaffyNoonan
    Options
    (didn't read all the replies, sorry)
    This might count as a weird answer to a weird problem, but when I get a bit stuck in my own head, I sort of imagine that the person doing the running is someone else, and I'm cheering them on at the sidelines. I picture myself cheering my friend Jamie on when he does his marathon, and it really helps. A bit zen though!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    If you are getting the heavy legs/tired feeling between minutes 22-26 that is your body switching from glycogen in the muscles to fat burning, it takes my body 3 minutes to transition over but once it does I can run forever, those three minutes though feel like torture. Push through, slow way down, and just wait, you should feel your energy kick back up within 5 minutes max.
    This is unlikely Glycogen levels would not on a normal person be depleted untill around 90 minutes of running.

^^^
    This.
    Also what another poster said about varying the speed..also terrain and routes to keep it interesting. I will tell you that my first run of the week..which also happends to be my first easy run after my Sunday long runs, always sucks..i just dont feel like doing them. but I think this is the best time to run because it trains your brain to deal with those feelings during a race.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    When you start to feel tired and are about to stop, just tell yourself 1 more minute (or whatever works for you) and count to 60. I usually forget that I'm tired and hurting by the time I get to 30.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    That damn 'wall' has a lot to answer for(more talked about in regards to marathons but don't see why it can't be the case for shorter distances). As others have mentioned make sure you've taken on good nutrition/hydration etc.

I just tell myself that if I stop now then those previous Xmiles were for nothing and that's not an option so I keep going.
  • BDWhite72
    BDWhite72 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    "Zen and the art of running" by Larry Shaprio

This is a really fun book that teaches awesome lessons about how to beat mental obstacles and instead relax and make the most of your runs! I've read a few books like this, and this one was my favorite. Check it out as one way to combat the issue!

Just ordered, thanks for the recommendation!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    When I have this problem, I start breaking my run into a series of very small goals..for example:
    "OK, I'll just keep jogging until I get to the silver car, then I'll stop to walk for a bit..."
    (having reached the silver car) "OK, well I'll go just until the speed limit 35MPH sign..."
    (at the 35MPH sign) "Well, maybe I can keep jogging just until I get to the intersection..."

etc.

If I GENUINELY can tell my body is saying "I *NEED* to walk...." I will....but this gets me through the times when I just want to give up and if I can keep at it, endorphins will eventually kick in to get me past all the mental weakness.

I also agree that a well-planned playlist...starting slow...building to a medium pace with a few faster "just do it" songs mixed in...back down to steady/medium...and closing with an all-out screaming go-and-get-it song for the last couple minutes of the run. I will try and time my footfalls to "hit" on the beat of the music oftentimes.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies. . but this is how I went from 5k to 10k distances.

I was stuck at my 3 mile loop, and could not go further.

I just went a bit slower one day. 12-13 min mile, it wasn't the point for any speed. Instead of my normal loop, I went out in a strait line. 3 miles out... You pretty much have no choice but to do 3 miles back. That little "push" over my hump was all I needed.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    "Zen and the art of running" by Larry Shaprio

This is a really fun book that teaches awesome lessons about how to beat mental obstacles and instead relax and make the most of your runs! I've read a few books like this, and this one was my favorite. Check it out as one way to combat the issue!

thanks for the reccomendation...will check this out!
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've run many half marathons and I still find myself in this boat more often than I would like. Some days just aren't running days! The best advice I can give is to re-approach your run next time with the goal of beating your previous workout. If you gave up at 25 minutes, make sure you make it to 26 this time. That way it becomes harder for your mind to say "I can't do this", because you will know that you just did it yesterday, dammit, and you're gonna do it again today.
    If I'm pushing myself beyond my normal limits, i.e. bumping up my mileage or pace significantly, I like to get an established running buddy involved. Their presence, and a good conversation, can make the time fly. Caffeine is also my friend because it blocks the receptors in your brain that tell you you're tired, but I understand that it's not for everyone :)