Should I switch to maintance now ?

Options
So yesterday was my weigh in day , and I came in at 125.1 lbs. initially my goal was 125 , however I've been considering aiming for 120 before maintaining. I have 18.3 percent body fat , and though I have visible muscle everywhere else... (Here it comes) my stomach still protrudes slightly -.- I can see it in the mirror when I have shirts on. People say you can't spot-lose fat so I'm at loss at what to do here.. If I flex with a hand on my stomach i can feel the muscles , but under a stubborn layer of fat.

Basically I need advice : if I lose another five lbs will it help at all ? Or should I stay at 125 and keep doing strength training and cardio ? Currently I strength train at least twice a week , once with a personal trainer , in addition to 3-5 cardio based fitness classes once a week.

If anyone in a similar boat wants to add me , feel free. Always happy for new like-minded friends :)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you have not already switch your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week and keep going for a couple weeks. This will also put you closer to maintenance intake so it would be less of a jump to make all at once.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Part bump , part ETA : my height is 5'4.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    First off, your stomach isn't suppose to be completely flat. You have things there that are going to make it protrude. Plus regular every day bloating and unbloating is going to change that.(And your weight) Which means 125.1 or 125 it doesn't matter. You can change as much as eight to ten pounds either way (Which is just water, so don't panic, it's not fat)
    As far as maintaining around 125, though, I've heard it's better to go a few pounds under the goal, because when you eat normally again, you body is going to take in extra things that it couldn't keep while you were losing.
    So really it's up to you, is a few pounds either way going to make you look very different? If it does, is it bad and do you not like it? Then go ahead and aim a little lower, so you'll be around 125 when you eat normally again. If it doesn't make much difference, or you think it look good and you're not so worried about a number, then go ahead and maintain now! Because it's not really going to be fat that you gain. I wanna say it's sugars, but I'm actually not sure.

ETA: That's why a lot of weight loss products can promise losing 5 pounds right away. Because it's not fat that you're losing at first.
  • jshay295
    Options
    I realize I've got intestines and my stomach there to bulge out a little ... But I'm certain other people who are similar in fitness to me have flatter stomachs then me. Don't get me wrong , in not some uneducated girl shooting for unrealistic expectations...but sometimes I can stand up and 'cup' my gut like its a little baby bump. Can't believe I just admitted that , but there it is. I don't think most girls who aren't pregnant , and are healthy and fit can do that!
  • erickirb
    Options
    I realize I've got intestines and my stomach there to bulge out a little ... But I'm certain other people who are similar in fitness to me have flatter stomachs then me. Don't get me wrong , in not some uneducated girl shooting for unrealistic expectations...but sometimes I can stand up and 'cup' my gut like its a little baby bump. Can't believe I just admitted that , but there it is. I don't think most girls who aren't pregnant , and are healthy and fit can do that!

I would also suggest you get adequate protein 95+ grams/day, and fat 45+ grams per day, and take part in a progressive heavy lifting strength training routine.

The protein, small deficit, and strength training will help ensure that what you are losing is fat and not lean muscle.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How did you get the 18%? I'd expect a pretty flat stomach at that bf
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Maybe it is your body shape? I am 5'3" and 115 pounds and still have a belly because I am a spoon shape. I don't think I will ever have a flat stomach. I wear freaking size two jeans and have a belly. It just is what it is and I am learning to accept it. Slowly.
  • jshay295
    Options
    I got it measured by an electronic ( i think ??)hand held device at my gym , last taken two weeks ago. From what I understand the device sends waves of some sort from one handle , through your body and into the other handle.
  • jshay295
    Options
    I'm not sure what its equivalent to but my waist size when I buy jeans now is 26 , depending on the brand.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Yup. I have a 25 inch waist. So you are probably a size two if not less if you have smaller hips. My hips are 33 inches.....
  • erickirb
    Options
    I got it measured by an electronic ( i think ??)hand held device at my gym , last taken two weeks ago. From what I understand the device sends waves of some sort from one handle , through your body and into the other handle.

Those devices can be way off, they are not bad to track progress but will not give you your true BF%. they can also be affected by hydration levels, amount of undigested food in your system etc.

Even for tracking progress you should try and measure under similar circumstances, such as : same point in your cycle, fasted, well hydrated, etc. Otherwise your BF% may go down but the machine could show an increase if these things are different each time you measure.
  • jshay295
    Options
    I get my body fat tested once every four weeks , at the same time of day. Usually I've eaten and and drank around the same amount . ( I do this because I'm trying to get as consistent/accurate reading as possible , even if the device is subpar).How else could I test my body fat, realistically ?
  • jshay295
    Options
    As of jan 31 my waist measured 27.5 inches, my hips are 37 -.-
  • erickirb
    Options
    I get my body fat tested once every four weeks , at the same time of day. Usually I've eaten and and drank around the same amount . ( I do this because I'm trying to get as consistent/accurate reading as possible , even if the device is subpar).How else could I test my body fat, realistically ?

That will work to track progress pretty well. The most accurate BF% test would be hydrostatic weighing (under water, water displacement test). So your real BF% may be 17% or may be 21%, but if it is going down and it is under the same conditions that is really all that matters.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Yeah it sounds like you have a curvy body shape like me. It wouldn't be impossible to get a flat stomach but it would take lots of heavy lifting on a progressive program like stronglifts, nrolfw, etc and lots of patience. And then you may just always have a little bit of a pooch because your body shape dictates that.
  • jshay295
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies , I definitely think knowledge is power :) mtpkok , what is nrolfw?

stupid pooch...*shakes fist*
  • tegalicious
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. You could also check out just regular New Rules of Lifting.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If you look up pics of what 18% bf looks like on a woman you can see if it's similar. It's usually quite lean. And takes quite a bit of work, which may be accurate for you !!!
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hey you sound very thin already and low in fat - so I would switch to maintenance, OP
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Never just 'switch', you can make yourself feel very sick, just prepare to switch, up your calories by 200 to start with, then up them by 100 every week until your weight loss stabilizes, then you will soon know your maintaining calorie limit.