time to admit I'm morbidly obese!!

Options
124»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Keep cooking and enjoying your cooking, but just don't eat as much of it as you used to. You don't have to starve yourself or give up your favorite foods. Weigh and measure and track your intake. Exercise to earn more calories. Prioritize what you put in your mouth. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The first step to avoiding all of the quick fixes is educating yourself.
    Learning portion control, learning how to cook better, and learning what you need and don't need.
    To lose this significant amount of weight AND keep it off involves a complete lifestyle change, so look at it that way. Everything you do needs to change. I don't mean right this very second, or even this month. But always stay aware of your actions, your motives, your goals, etc. If you want to add me I can be a good realistic motivator. I lost 30lb and kept it off for 4 years. This year I'm shooting for another 15! It's a hard road, and you WILL make a lot of mistakes, but that's how you learn!
  • Tabbycat54
    Tabbycat54 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I admitted this to myself and it was like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I have the confidence now to be able to lose the weight and keep it off. Anyone can feel free to add me if they wish :)
  • allysteven880
    Options
    just go simply and naturally. don't get depressed.only do physical workout daily like running, jogging and etc.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I joined April 8th 2013 weighing 326.8# and morbidly obese at 5'8.5". I am happy to say that I just crossed into the obese category! I hope to have lost 75-80# by my 1 year anniversary on MFP. Stick with it - it's not always easy, and you will have steps in the wrong direction. Don't get discouraged, just turn around & get back on track the next day. When my kids were younger I used to tell them to make good choices at school, now I'm taking my own advice regarding food and exercise. :) Best of luck to everyone here!!
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :smile: Welcome! Now that you have acknowledged the issue you can do something about it. :smile: You can do this!
    It will take time. ups and downs but you can do this!:flowerforyou:
  • Courtney4805
    Courtney4805 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I joined April 8th 2013 weighing 326.8# and morbidly obese at 5'8.5". I am happy to say that I just crossed into the obese category! I hope to have lost 75-80# by my 1 year anniversary on MFP. Stick with it - it's not always easy, and you will have steps in the wrong direction. Don't get discouraged, just turn around & get back on track the next day. When my kids were younger I used to tell them to make good choices at school, now I'm taking my own advice regarding food and exercise. :) Best of luck to everyone here!!

What exercise routine do you do? Congratulations on you progress so far!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I started at 279, 5'10", BMI 40. I'm just under 233 now, BMI 33, now "only" obese, instead of morbidly so, and feeling much better.

After dropping 40 lbs, I did an experiment. I picked up 30 lbs of weights, and tried to walk the stairs with them. It was a significant challenge, and showed me how much good dropping those 40 lbs has done for me. Can't wait to drop the next 40, and be able to run up and down stairs again.

I'm not on any shakes or pills, I've just cleaned up my act ...
    - switched to whole grains
    - eat lots more vegs
    - eat fruits instead of cookies
    - stopped eating anything with sugar
    - mindful of my portion sizes
    - walk every day

This is what worked for me. You will need to experiment to find the right combination for you. Logging everything you eat and all the exercise you do will be great, as it will help you focus, as well as help you identify your success mechanisms, and your stumbles.

Best of luck to you. If you're still looking for a motivating friend to add, fire away.
  • RedefiningMe
    RedefiningMe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Since I am in the same boat I am bumping for reading when I have more time...from the scanning of the thread, looks like some great advise. :smile:
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club! I started out at 5'0" and 220 lbs with a BMI of 42 & high blood pressure. It's so hard to face these issues, especially with all of the stigma that comes with being so fat in this country full of people with body dysmorphia. I'm now down to 182 lbs with a BMI of 38. My journey was NOT linear. In fact, I've still not heard one weight loss/healthy living story that was. I got here by making small changes in diet & activity, gaining confidence, and making more small changes. I also try to be patient and compassionate with myself so, if I stray off the path, I don't freak out. I just try again the next day. Here's to all of us meeting our goals this year!

Sue
  • talraviv69
    talraviv69 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Trying to switch to a healthier lifestyle is a great idea and this web site and community is a great source for support for such a change. Even a small reduction in your calorie intake and increase in your physical activity is good.

However, I am sorry to say that if you are trying to reach a health weight the odds are against you. With a starting BMI of 42.5 you are not likely to ever reach healthy weight and keep it for long time without a surgical bariatric intervention.

Now, you will hear and read about many success stories of people who only changed their diet and started exercising but they are very few compared with the great number of failures, which are typically not reported. In some cases the success stories are actually a result of bariatric procedure but many people who passed these procedures keep this information private.

Of course there are few heroes who did it by their will power alone but this is very rare. So don't count on it and don't feel bad about yourself if you fail. Talking about the will power - read the book "the will power instinct" (or even better listen to the audio book) by Kelly McGonigal.

Good luck!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Hi! I hear what you're saying! I started on here in Jan 2011 weighing in at a mighty 235lbs (at 5'2"), with a BMI of 42. Also, I cook for 5.

Probably the best piece of advice I can give is to focus on becoming fitter. It's much easier and faster to see changes in your level of fitness, and weight loss takes some time. If you focus on fitness you will continually see improvements. If you focus on weight, it's very easy to become disheartened because it is a slow process and a bit of a bumpy road, and it's easy to think 'what's the point?'

Food wise, i eat what I cook for everyone else. The only difference is that i have a small childs portion and fill the rest of my plate with either salad or veggies.lots and lots of salad. If I'm baking, I try not to snack. I also found out how many calories are in things, and how big an actual portion is. I learned how many calories I was burning through exercise, which made those 300 calorie cookies a lot less appealing when I worked out I'd have to run for ages to burn it off. And drink lots of water.

Exercise wise I had to find something I can do in my own time. Couldn't afford a gym. So I started doing C25K (a running program). I work shifts too, so I made it a priority to get my C25K in. I would either go out at 6am, or at 8pm depending upon my shift. But in my head I made it like an appointment, and made sure I didn't miss it. And when there were obstacles in the way I didn't let them take over- I would still go out.

My hubby was really supportive of me doing this- I couldn't have done it without him on board. He's crap with the diet stuff, but has been understanding about not being another obstacle.

Now, Im still kinda chunky :-). But I am less bothered about my weight and size. I'm really quite fit, and all of my goals are fitness related now. 3 years ago I was a fat couch potato. My defining moment was when I couldn't even be bothered getting off the couch to play with my kids- something just clicked in my head that it wasn't right. My main goal was to play a soccer with them in the garden- I wanted to be involved, not to sit on the sidelines. That's what got me doing C25K. 3 years later I'm a runner. Ive ran lots of half marathons and 2 full ones. I still run, but now I also go to a few classes just to mix it up and meet new people. The life I have now is so much better than the one I had before.

So when you think you can't be bothered, remember why you want this. That should be a powerful enough thought to get you moving.

Good luck!
  • Trukngrl
    Trukngrl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well Talraviv69, I am not sure I understand why you would walk in and put such a damper and negative spin on such an optimistic post. To make the blanket statement that 'you are not likely to ever reach healthy weight and keep it for long time without a surgical bariatric intervention' is unsound advice as well as misinformed. The goal is positive changes in lifestyle with the goal of a health outcome. Some want to change the number of their gravitational pull on the earth (weight on scale). Others want to get off medication, or to be able to accomplish a task they were unable to before. To suggest their goals are unattainable due to mindset and motivation is reckless and harmful.

I commend anyone who takes an active role in their health. If you replace your 12 ounce can of Coke with water every day and save 51,100 calories per year or about 15 pounds per year. To say that a few small changes cannot cause long lasting positive changes is a terrible thing to say. You are doing the same distruction that diet pills and fads are - you are worthless and weak and cannot make a change that will last. You are wrong. The success stories on here are example. Although many people fail before they finally succeed - this is the case with most events in life(crawling, walking, sports, driving). You are hurting far more than you are helping.

I commend the OP on seeking support, insight, and motivation. There is nothing that can be done unless it is wanted and asked for. The same way someone won't go to, or be successful in Rehab until they decide to be and are ready for it. I am ready for change I can do it and we can help one another. There is no need for surgery, unless that is the last resort and all else has failed - OR - you have given up before you have started. 1lb weight loss is a success, always, and should be looked at as a win. Lots of little wins reach a goal. Keep on keeping on!!

Together we can lose mountains.... .and move them. With or without Talraviv!!!

Trying to switch to a healthier lifestyle is a great idea and this web site and community is a great source for support for such a change. Even a small reduction in your calorie intake and increase in your physical activity is good.

However, I am sorry to say that if you are trying to reach a health weight the odds are against you. With a starting BMI of 42.5 you are not likely to ever reach healthy weight and keep it for long time without a surgical bariatric intervention.

Now, you will hear and read about many success stories of people who only changed their diet and started exercising but they are very few compared with the great number of failures, which are typically not reported. In some cases the success stories are actually a result of bariatric procedure but many people who passed these procedures keep this information private.

Of course there are few heroes who did it by their will power alone but this is very rare. So don't count on it and don't feel bad about yourself if you fail. Talking about the will power - read the book "the will power instinct" (or even better listen to the audio book) by Kelly McGonigal.

Good luck!
  • sltaylor94
    Options
    I am 5'4 and 289 pounds.

I would love to have people on my page for encouragment and people who know what I am going through! I am too young to be this tired! Time for a change..

Feel free to add me.
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    5'5 247 lbs felling your pain. Hang in there.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    well i thought it was only 113..... but now i i just figured i have 122lbs total to lose from my highest weight (only 6 down so far).... it seems so far away.... but that would be me at the HIGHEST end of the "healthy" bmi

it says 154 would be the highest weight for me, i swear i used to think it was 163.... has the BMI chart changed ?
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    We're almost twins! I'm 5'3" and started at 236. Now I'm down to 225 and I am starting to feel better.

I'm not keen on shakes as meal supplements but when that 4pm hunger strikes and I have another conference call or meeting and know I won't eat dinner until 8pm, they make a good snack.
  • Lola7791
    Lola7791 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your responses! Feel free to add me! I will cheer you on as you cheer me on!
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    hi feel free to add me
  • PhysioGo
    Options
    Hi everyone on this vine, we are hoping, with some council funding, to set up a new program to try and help people get back to healthier weights. The aim is to make it a stigma free program that addresses all the issues and moments of self doubt that we all go through on the way there.
    I wondered if anyone on this forum would be interested in either being a guinea pig for the program (completely online) or would mind discussing their experiences / problems (completely anonymously) so that we can make this program work for the sake of the public health.
    I've been where you are now and I just don't think there is enough support in the community these days. I would really like to share my experiences and hopefully make it easier for the next people who have to go through these changes.

Thank you in advance.