Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is my calorie setting ok?

I used the BMR calculator online which told me my BMR was somewhere around 1850 or something so I subtracted 500 and got 1386. I'm also exercising 3-5 times a week and only eating my burned calories when I am really hungry. Am I doing this right? or am I eating too many calories?

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    If you want to deviate from the MFP suggested calories (which is fine to do), it's your TDEE you want to calculate rather than your BMR. Your BMR doesn't account for any of your daily activities or exercise which is what the TDEE is designed to do, so BMR alone is not an accurate representation of how many calories your body burns per day. Calculate your TDEE and then debit 500 calories from that number if your goal is to lose 1 lb/week - the result will be more than 1386.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you want to deviate from the MFP suggested calories (which is fine to do), it's your TDEE you want to calculate rather than your BMR. Your BMR doesn't account for any of your daily activities or exercise which is what the TDEE is designed to do, so BMR alone is not an accurate representation of how many calories your body burns per day. Calculate your TDEE and then debit 500 calories from that number if your goal is to lose 1 lb/week - the result will be more than 1386.

^ This

Or you could eat your BMR and always eat at least most of your exercise cals back.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    This might be a better place to start... it worked out better for me.
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Also reading Eat, Train Progress in the community forums has been really beneficial,
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    http://p90x3nutritionplan.com/step-1-how-much-do-i-eat/

Somewhat based on BMR, P90X3 has a very simple calculator for daily calories.

Mike