Omelets, Omelets, I LOVE OMELETS

Options
I get a little strange with cooking my omelets sometimes. I consider it like a melting pot for my leftovers. One of my favorites is left over chicken, provolone, onion and raw cabbage. This morning, I'm doing leftover tilapia, cheddar, spinach and onion. I know I'm not the only one out there who looks forward to my morning omelet. What do you guys like to put in yours? Are you in love with a strange omelet? :)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I call them frittata's and a dumping ground for left overs, or not.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I mix in salad shrimp and then too the eggs with stir fried veggies (usually a big pot of them in the fridge). A little soy cause, sesame oil, and crushed red pepper. Voila: egg foo young... Kinda lol.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Leftover fajitas are fabulous in omelettes too.
  • brock_west_houston
    Options
    Love my omelets. Looking forward to eating them in the morning helps me to go to bed on a mostly empty stomach!

I usually throw finely chopped red and orange pepper, cilantro and garlic into olive oil before adding my eggs and cheese (usually parmeasan or asiago=sharper taste, less cheese (and calories) needed).

I was wondering though if I might switch to a no calorie cooking spray. Olive oil is preferable to butter, I reckon, but a calorie-free spray seems like it would eliminate unncecessary calories. Any thoughts on using "artificial" products such as cooking sprays or sugar free coffee creamers? I try not to go overboard on them, but in the past they seemed to have made a positive difference in weight loss. (I know it's a branched topic, but I try not to start a new thread everytime I have a question, so any advice would be appreciated).

Back to omelets-I do like to experiment with different veggies. I haven't used much meat lately as I prefer to savor my turkey bacon (drizzled with sugar-free syrup) on the side. But meats in omelets can be quite good. I like having a small bit of low-fat sour cream on the side and often time I'll sprinkle my omelet with Tabasco, provided it doesn't overwhelm the flavors. Mushrooms and spinach pair well with certain cheeses. I don't care for ham or humungous chunks of grilled pepper. Steak doesn't do a whole lot for me in an omelet. I haven't tried fish but that sounds different. I have tried using three or four herbs; the best results involve using a lot of each herb while omitting salt and pepper. Basil, rosemary, tarragon and mint can add some interesting flavor, especially to an egg-white omelet.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I use a little olive oil. If you love omelets, you may want to get a black steel pan. It's what French Chefs make crepes in. You season it like cast iron, but it is much lighter and heats up quickly. I love mine. It makes the fluffiest eggs. You can get different sizes, but obviously omelette sized is the best to have.