Protein Bars

Options

Replies

• 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would love to find information regarding the QuestBar lawsuit (being crap that is). Where are you getting this information?

While it is true anyone can file a lawsuit, when there is money to be made i am suspicious of big companies. If the fibre content in the bar is off (so too are the carbs) and if i'm trying to fill my macros (and track) i like to be accurate.

I think i'll eat a piece of steak instead.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the only bars we recommend to customers trying to lose weight. Seriously, read labels. Most other "protein bars" or "energy bars" are just as bad as a chocolate bar with a little protein sprinkled in with the sugar.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    Options
    Agreed-- but can you trust the label?
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Quest Cookies and Cream FTW!

I also LOVE Pure Protein - Soft Baked Bar Double Chocolate Vanilla Crunch bars. You can get them from Target and the like for around $1 per bar and they taste DELICIOUS!
  • 43mmmgoody21
    Options
    I think i'll have an Oh Henry (and top it up with a whey protein shake)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you like cookie dough you will likely enjoy quest. I like Pure Protein chewy choc chip. 20 g of protein , 200 cals about a $1.05 a bar if you get a pack. Balance bar dark chocolate coconut is also good. I really like the great value protein bars and Kroger protein bars. Sometimes $1.88 a box for 5 tho they only have 10g of protein and cals are 170-190
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I think the Quest bars are disgusting, and expensive! I eat the Clif bars which are 20g of Protein and just yesterday I discovered the Walmart brand (Equate I think), box of 8 was $8.88 and they are 20g of protein as well! They arent as yummy as the Cliff bars but for that price who cares, they still arent as yuck as the Quest!

I will have to try these
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options
    Yes, I believe you can trust the label until PROVEN otherwise.
    Do you think it would be the first time a competitor would try to create bad press for a company that is completely DOMINATING the market with no sign of letting up?? I've been in this industry awhile.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options
    I think the Quest bars are disgusting, and expensive! I eat the Clif bars which are 20g of Protein and just yesterday I discovered the Walmart brand (Equate I think), box of 8 was $8.88 and they are 20g of protein as well! They arent as yummy as the Cliff bars but for that price who cares, they still arent as yuck as the Quest!

I will have to try these

Pretty sure cliff bars are wheat isolate :/ and really high sugar
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I will have to try these

I'm sure the Cliff bars taste a lot better considering they contain 20g of sugar (30g carbs). If you don't mind all that sugar, then go for it, but if you're watching your sugar content, I would go the way of Quest, Pure, or something similar.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I have not tried the Quest bars there seems to be a lot of folks on here that like them so it may be worth looking into those. But for me “Pure Protein” is pretty darn good, I get them at Krogers for 1 buck each, 20g protein and only 1g sugar. Not that it matters to me but the Pure Protein Revolution “Chocolate Peanut Caramel” is also gluten free.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I would love to find information regarding the QuestBar lawsuit (being crap that is). Where are you getting this information?

While it is true anyone can file a lawsuit, when there is money to be made i am suspicious of big companies. If the fibre content in the bar is off (so too are the carbs) and if i'm trying to fill my macros (and track) i like to be accurate.

I think i'll eat a piece of steak instead.

http://www.leanitup.com/report-makers-quest-bars-sued-mislabeling-allegedly-overstated-fiber-750/

If the label claims are only a little off as stated in this article I'm not too worried. And I like them and haven't noticed any weight changes from adding them to my diet recently. Not as many flavors and little more pricey but I like NoGii bars in addition to Quest.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I will have to try these

I'm sure the Cliff bars taste a lot better considering they contain 20g of sugar (30g carbs). If you don't mind all that sugar, then go for it, but if you're watching your sugar content, I would go the way of Quest, Pure, or something similar.

I watch my carbs, but even though these are higher it still fits into my macros, I don't watch my sugar as I have no need to. :smile:

Edited to add, I just looked at the quest bars I had tried a few weeks back and they ranged from 22-26g of carbs, so really not much difference. Yes a huge difference in sugars, however as I already said I have no need to watch my sugar. :drinker:
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options

I will have to try these

I watch my carbs, but even though these are higher it still fits into my macros, I don't watch my sugar as I have no need to. :smile:

Edited to add, I just looked at the quest bars I had tried a few weeks back and they ranged from 22-26g of carbs, so really not much difference. Yes a huge difference in sugars, however as I already said I have no need to watch my sugar. :drinker:

Say what??
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I will have to try these

Say what??

Sugar is just a carb. Therefore, if she is tracking carbs and has room in her macros, there is no need to track sugar as well.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    Options
    I am not worried about my carbs (as long as I get enough good ones so i hit my micros and my macros). However, if the Quest bar is overstating their fibre count, I would rather have a real chocolate bar. While the Quest Bars are tasty, they do not compare with an O Henry (just add whey protein on the side and protein is just fine).

In addition, the LeanitUps website isn't exactly what i would call a neutral party.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options

I will have to try these

Say what??

Sugar is just a carb. Therefore, if she is tracking carbs and has room in her macros, there is no need to track sugar as well.

The 26g of carbs in Quest Bars comes from Fiber, this does not impact bloods sugar what's so ever. HUGE difference than 20g of sugar.
    I understand that sugar is a carb, and I'm sure you could fill up your daily intake of macros on Krispy Kreme donuts everyday keeping under the limit, doesn't mean you should do it.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    The ONLY ones I will eat are Quest bars.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I am not worried about my carbs (as long as I get enough good ones so i hit my micros and my macros). However, if the Quest bar is overstating their fibre count, I would rather have a real chocolate bar. While the Quest Bars are tasty, they do not compare with an O Henry (just add whey protein on the side and protein is just fine).

In addition, the LeanitUps website isn't exactly what i would call a neutral party.

The legal documents are easily available on the internet. That is a link that a friend in the industry recently sent me who does not believe their label claims and warns me all the time to stop eating them.
  • dancinmama
    dancinmama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Definitely Quest! They meet all the qualifications for a good protein bar, and they are soooo tasty. I buy mine at GNC, and I have some kind of free membership and I get a great discount with it. I won't buy one that has over 200 calories. Not worth it.