Do you stop eating after a certain time?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It is rare for me to eat after 7 pm unless it's a small snack like nuts or cheese to fill in gaps in protein/cals.

However it's not because I believe it will somehow assist me in losing weight. I just feel hungrier early in my day. For me 3 meals at 7, 11:30 or 12, and 5:30 or 6 feels right so that's what I usually do.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I typically try to grab my last snack by 830 because I'm normally in bed before 10.. some nights I may eat something light at around 9 if I'm not home at 830..
  • bradXdale
    Options
    No. I do not have a specific cutoff time to stop eating.

In general though my last meal + snack is around 7:30 and I am generally very full because I like eating bigger dinners so it lasts me about 12-13 hours overnight until I eat breakfast.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have accepted the fact that nighttime snacking is something about me that just isn't going to change, so I always try to save an extra 300 of my daily calories for after dinner.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Many different opinions about this here. I recently read about a small study that showed, generally thin people tend to stop eating by 8 PM. I have a major problem eating at night so I have recently stopped eating at 8. So far I do not see any difference.

I would suggest that this is probably because the people who eat later (a) eat high calorie snack food and (b) go over on their calorie requirements. If you are counting calories and staying in a deficit, meal (or snack) timing means virtually nothing.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    For the last 6 months I fast after 6pm, it usually after my biggest meal dinner, I just think it's deadly going to bed with a full stomach.

I had a protein shake right before bed last night. I haven't died yet!

Note: if you have acid reflux or other digestion problems, then it is wise to not eat when it upsets you. Other than that, it certainly isn't deadly.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Yes, after "O" thirty...
    tumblr_lkp6zl6FnA1qcp3wfo1_500.gif
    And yes, I chose the Judge Judy gif for all of your viewing pleasure!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yes, after "O" thirty...
    tumblr_lkp6zl6FnA1qcp3wfo1_500.gif
    And yes, I chose the Judge Judy gif for all of your viewing pleasure!

He's_Mine!.gif
  • Feervi
    Feervi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I try to eat my last meal a couple of hours before going to bed, that's before ten as I go to bed at midnight. It is usually a small snack like tea or a small yogurt. It works for me :)
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    YES! Whatever time it happens to be once I hit my goal!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after dinner (unless it's desert) because that was when I would always binge and add an extra 1,000+ calories to my day. That's the only reason for it, though. It doesn't actually matter when you eat.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Perfect! that's what I thought! Typically I am at the end of my cals by the time I'm done dinner so it's a moot point but sometimes I have only a few hundred gone by dinner and I worry... I figured it was fine as long as I stuck to my cal limit! :drinker:
  • fallbrookgirl
    Options
    I try not to eat after 7pm
  • MizzIcy
    MizzIcy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing, but I eat 5 small meals a day which on any given day my last meal could be at 10 pm or later. I just wait 30 minutes before laying down or going to bed.
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I eat something small before bed because of medications I take and also because my blood sugar tends to get very low if I go too long without eating. I have a tendency to sleep for 10-12 hours (again, stupid medications) so making sure I get something small in me right before bed is a huge help with my blood sugar. I don't have any problems with acid reflex or anything, so I don't think it matters.

I try not to go to bed immediately after eating dinner, but sometimes it happens. I haven't died yet.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I try to stop eating at 7... 3 hours before bedtime. It seems to have helped with weight loss at first...like a great jumpstart. Not sure if its still helping because I'm at a plateau so nothing seems to help right now
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    For the last 6 months I fast after 6pm, it usually after my biggest meal dinner, I just think it's deadly going to bed with a full stomach.

Wait.... :noway:

WHAT?!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    yes, bed time...eating in your sleep is not good...

meal timing is irrelevant. Just look at it from an absolute common sense point of view...if you're in a deficit, you're in a deficit period...it's really that frackin' simple.

the lengths people go to to complicate the uncomplicated is just baffling to me. I'm not talking about you specifically OP...just people in general and they are abundant on MFP...there is absolutely nothing complicated about any of this whatsoever.
  • Resanzo
    Resanzo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist suggested to not eat after 8:00 pm since I’m less active at that time. She said whatever I take in will only store as fat. If I am hungry I’ll have an herbal tea, with some honey. That has worked for me thus far.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Nope! I eat when I am hungry... this morning at 2 a.m. I had a green salad with some shrimp... I personally feel like if I restrict my eating window it leads to binge eating or making poor choices... so far..64 pounds down and it hasnt failed me yet.