Does MFP work?

Options

Replies

• Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    MFP isn't something that works, or not works. It's a tool and just like any tool, you have to use it correctly for it to work to your advantage. The food database is HUGE, I rarely eat something that someone else hasn't already entered, which makes tracking so easy. I have found that the website and the app work together seamlessly and the message boards do provide tips and tricks and other advice, if you use it and participate in it.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am very happy with MFP. It was the tool that helped me get to where I need to be....or at least almost there!

It keeps me accountable to myself!!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Tracking my calories with MFP works, as long as you can be consistent and brutally honest with yourself. Indulgences all the time I work them into my daily day and it's not a problem.
  • katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm semi new to myfitnesspal and I'm just curious, has it worked for you?

It's like any other tool - it works as well as the person wielding it.

^^That.

I used it once before and lost 60 pounds, but then just fell off the wagon and made excuses and gained it back and then some. This time will only be as successful as I choose to be, although I have far more incentive now (I've eaten my way into some health issues), and I am being much more responsible about making permanent changes rather than thinking of this as a diet. If you have a low tolerance for slow steady change and occasional slow-downs this will be rough. But that is the ONLY way to lose weight and sustain it, and believe me, I have tried every other gimmicky, fast-track thing. It comes down to calories in calories out and fulfilling your nutritional needs. MFP is a tool to help you reach that goal, but ultimately, if you don't completely commit to a lifestyle change then it will be time wasted.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Mfp doesn't "work", you do. But mfp works as a fabulous tool to aid you in the process. There is a wealth of knowledge (and entertainment) and comraderie and fun to be had here as well.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Nope you still have to do the work, MFP might just guide you along:)
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    MFP works if and only if YOU do! :smile:
  • GregDiNoia
    Options
    well said Uncharted. I do appreciate all the encouragement - its a motivator
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    10 months and 53lbs gone!

It worked for me!
  • katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    And as for indulgences, if they are going to be a part of your life when you reach your goal, best to find a way to fit them in now, in a way you can live with them. If an indulgence is half package of oreos (I have been there), then no.

I have learned that after a few days of doing this hard core and eating only super healthy food just to adjust, I was able to change my thinking about indulgences. 3 glasses of wine used to be an indulgence, now one or two a week are plenty. A piece of pie used to do, and now I love an occasional dark chocolate covered strawberry. I learned that PB2 is just as satisfying to me as my obsession (peanut butter), but with 45 calories instead of 190. Blending frozen banana with 30 calorie almond milk and a little cinnamon is an awesome ice cream sub. And when I go out (like on Valentine's Day), and we split a rare dessert, I am honest about the calories and what I will do for the next day or 2 to burn off any excess.
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    MFP is just a guide. You have to be able to make the right choices. Your the only one who can stop yourself from over indulging. I know how to eat healthy and exercise. I just like tracking numbers. I don't really need MFP but it's kinda fun. I still get shocked by how many calories are in some things though.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Look at my tracker,I think it works. Lol
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    MFP is an amazing tool. Like so many others, didn't realize how much I was consuming until I started keeping track of it. Also, the community support is a huge plus!
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you make it work for you
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Blending frozen banana with 30 calorie almond milk and a little cinnamon is an awesome ice cream sub.

That sounds yummy, I'm going to try it....Thanks!!
  • bcoop911
    bcoop911 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm semi new to myfitnesspal and I'm just curious, has it worked for you? If yes or no then why? What else did you do to help trim yourself down? When it comes to eating right how did you not give in to indulgence? (My problem)

Has definitely been working for me. I find i get off track VERY easily with the diet when I am not using this site. I still workout, but don't monitor what i eat as well. So this has been my saving grace and definitely helped my progress.

I had the same problem with indulgence, and honestly i still give in, i just eat less of it... if i have a sweet tooth i eat a 3rd of a candy bar and not the whole thing. Seeing the number in here also helps motivate me, so realizing i might go over if i pig out or snack on something i don't need makes me not do it.
  • mrsgrimsdale
    Options
    I didn't believe I could lose weight I thought I was eating good food and low calories. MFP has educated me, the mfpers have supported and inspired me and after 18 years of failing to lose weight and slowly gaining, I have now lost 31 pounds and know I can get to my goal. What happens when I reach goal weight? Well I might hang around on here, supporting others and reminding myself daily that this is for life.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    bicycles don't pedal themselves.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm semi new to myfitnesspal and I'm just curious, has it worked for you? If yes or no then why? What else did you do to help trim yourself down? When it comes to eating right how did you not give in to indulgence? (My problem)

It's just a tool...it works if you use the tool properly. If you don't use the tool properly it doesn't work...this is all about consistency and precision. If you are not consistent it will not work for you...if you just log whatever and call it good and figure it's about right...it won't work for you. If you closet eat and otherwise cheat yourself...it won't work for you.

it will work for you to whatever extent you work for yourself...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

It's just a tool...it works if you use the tool properly. If you don't use the tool properly it doesn't work...this is all about consistency and precision. If you are not consistent it will not work for you...if you just log whatever and call it good and figure it's about right...it won't work for you. If you closet eat and otherwise cheat yourself...it won't work for you.

it will work for you to whatever extent you work for yourself...

This is what I was gonna say. You beat me to it.