How to say no.

Options

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    "Thank you but I already ate. I'm going to save it for later." Wrap it up, put it away and toss it later in the day.
    Or rather than wasting food how about giving it to some homeless person

Nitpick some more, please.
  • jenmcdav
    Options
    lol @ he watched you eat it. that's weird!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    if you don't want it, don't eat it.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i have nothing to add except that croissant sounds fantastic.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    "Thank you but I already ate. I'm going to save it for later." Wrap it up, put it away and toss it later in the day.
    Not everyone has a convenient homeless person around to give something to.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Have you eaten it yet? If not, pick it apart. Eat the meat and eggs but not the "bread" or any meat/egg that touched the bread. Say you suspect you're sensitive to wheat (or gluten if you wish to get technical). Also what kind of chips because you might be able to use the "gluten" as a reason. State that you're still testing it out so you don't know if you're sensitive or not. Of course, if you had "planned" on a product with wheat (or even hidden wheat like soy sauce) you'll need to figure out how to ditch the wheat but that way you can eat it but not as much of it and have a valid excuse.

I also might just be flat out honest. Saying thank you but I'm trying to change my relationship with food and I appreciate the gesture however, that is not in my food plan today. If you wish to do little things like this to show appreciation in the future, I'd appreciate fresh fruit (or something similar per your tastes). Of course, I work in an office where they know I'm attempting to change myself and fully support it so I have people helping to keep temptation out of my way when vendors bring in the high calorie, low "good for you in any way" foods. If I do breakdown and choose something from that temptation, I have a buddy or two around the office that will help me out by taking half.

If you have eaten it, then yes, find a way to get up and move more.

Bottom line is really how much are you willing to invest in yourself? When you've become fully committed to yourself, saying "no" is super easy. Of course, that doesn't make it easy while you're learning to put yourself and your feelings first.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

What?? You don't keep em in your pocket for all your unwanted food? :laugh:
  • JohnsElan
    Options
    "I DON'T WANT TO EAT THAT CRAP! My body is a temple! Do you know what that white flour does to a colon? The egg and cheese does to arteries? Know that those chips are nothing but calories, grease and salt? And the soda is nasty carbonated sugar syrup? Why would you put that in front of me? DO YOU HATE ME?"

callas_medea.jpg
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    if you don't want it, don't eat it.

^^THIS!

I was literally forced to accept a dessert that I did not want. I finally said yes to get them off my back and then handed it off to someone else.

That was nice of your coworker to bring food, but that doesn't mean you have to eat it.
  • rml_16
    Options

What?? You don't keep em in your pocket for all your unwanted food? :laugh:
    Of course *I* do, but not everyone has pockets big enough.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    It's not rude to say no thanks. What's more important, yourself and your health, or a coworker buying breakfast sandwiches for people that don't want them. Offer it to another coworker or toss it. You can't worry about others. And sorry but whoever said workout for an extra 15 min? Doubt it will cover those calories!!!!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I just say I'm training, and I can't really eat this right now, but thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    :embarassed:

So after venting my frustrations yesterday about emotional eating and I decided to get up this morning, plan out my day - including my meals and calories. I am sitting at my desk and a coworker drops off a double meat croissant sandwich with eggs and cheese he bought a few of the ladies around the pod we work in - not to mention a bag of chips and a soda. I WANT TO SCREAM. So, if I don't eat it I am being rude - but if I do I am no closer to meeting this goal that I set two years ago! But things like this happen all the time - it's a part of life - so if yesterday taught me anything it is that I am not alone and other people have similar issues going on. So what do you do? An extra hour of working out? Because between me and you - he watched us eat it.
    If he's going to provide, then just ask for a parfait or yogurt instead of a sandwich.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    It's not rude to refuse un-asked for food. It would be one thing if you asked him to get you something to eat and then rejected it. That's what my toddler does, after all. :D

But somebody shoving un-asked for food in your face does not deserve the consideration of niceness. You just say, "Oh wow, I'm full from lunch/snack and I really couldn't eat that. Maybe somebody else would like it." If he insists you take it, just wrap it up and throw it out when he's gone.

IMO it's more rude to give people food they didn't ask for than to refuse food.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Free food is always going to be a thing in the office. Sometimes it's donuts in the break room. Sometimes it's meeting food. Sometimes gifts like you got. Bottom line is you're in charge of what you eat. If you can, speak up and give an opinion about what you want if it's for a meeting or if someone is ordering something for a group. If it's a gift, same type of thing. Tell the person thanks but no thanks and give the reason. Maybe they'll bring a better option next time if they still want to be nice.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    "Oh, bless your heart. But i'm full from breakfast."

see, b/c bless your heart is southern for "Frak you"
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    Eat it if you are willing to work it off later. DO not eat it if you are not hungry. You have no obligation to eat food bought without your request. Make it a point to explain to him why you are declining so they are not offended. You will be surprised at most reactions. You cannot assume everyone knows you are on a health plan to drop a few lbs and if his intentions were to be cordial and not malicious he will understand fully. Next time he may bring you a healthier choice. No need to lie....there are enough liars in society.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Fake it. :) I'd say something like - "Oh! Thank you so much! I already ate breakfast and I'm stuffed. I couldn't possibly - let's see if there's someone around who'd like this treat."

It's not rude, you're not wasting food or his money, and you were totally gracious about it. You can do this with lunches too. "Oh I'd love to go out to lunch but I brought mine today. Go grab your lunch and we'll eat together in the office."

I'm personally not someone who likes to advertise that I'm trying to lose weight. I think it invites too many comments (Oh you should try X diet...), judgments (getting looks for eating a cupcake that totally fits in your calories for the day), etc. I prefer to deflect and keep people out of my business!

Also - it's a little weird he bought it for all the ladies and is watching you eat. ;)

This
  • rml_16
    Options
    Free food is always going to be a thing in the office. Sometimes it's donuts in the break room. Sometimes it's meeting food. Sometimes gifts like you got. Bottom line is you're in charge of what you eat. If you can, speak up and give an opinion about what you want if it's for a meeting or if someone is ordering something for a group. If it's a gift, same type of thing. Tell the person thanks but no thanks and give the reason. Maybe they'll bring a better option next time if they still want to be nice.

I have never had a coworker go out and buy my lunch without asking if I wanted something first.

There is a huge difference between bringing something in for everyone and leaving it in the break room and bringing in specific lunches, unsolicited, for specific people. That's WEIRD.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    One thing about having food allergies and intolerances is I never feel guilty about saying no to something. If you didn't ask for it and he brought you something it's perfectly acceptable to thank him but decline. You don't have to justify yourself but you can use an excuse if it makes you feel better. :)