workout.....BEFORE or AFTER you eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. Eat half my greek yogurt/granola and berries before I run and then I eat the rest when I get back. It seems to work really well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    It's usually going to be a personal thing. Figure out what works best for you. Lots of stuff in fitness is trial and error.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    Ok this is all good to know stuff thank you! What got me thinking about the BEFORE or AFTER thing was i thought i saw on tv this one time an experiment ( one of them discovery channels or something) where someone took there blood work before they worked out and then ate and then another day they took there blood work after eating and then working out and one showed signifigent change in like there cholesteral numbers and there blood pressure ect ect.. but i could not remember for the life of me where i saw it. However i see for simply calorie burn most agree it does not matter and i can understand that because if your burning calories its all good no matter when as long as your burning! :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It's usually going to be a personal thing. Figure out what works best for you. Lots of stuff in fitness is trial and error.

IDEA Fitness member

This..... Nothing but personal preference...... Best of Luck
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

So true! It may also vary for you from workout to workout, depending on what you're doing and the intensity. For example, yoga when fasted is no problem, but I need fuel before and after a long run or good strength training session.
  • biffmon
    biffmon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A couple of people have already pointed this out but doesn't seem to have taken affect.

It doesn't matter if you eat before or after. Do what works.

When it comes to weight loss it's the old "80/20 rule"

80% of your weight loss success comes from the fact that you're eating properly. Not working out.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    I Agree completely aslo ......... i just thought there maybe more "health" benefits as to doing one vs the other.
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I deffinetely need to eat something small before I work out atleast an hour before or I feel like passing out and have no energy
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This. I need to have some sort of snackie cake about an hour or so before I work out. If not, I get dizzy.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have to eat an hour before or I don't have the energy to push myself.
    After, if I really worked hard and I was ravenous, then I'd have something too.
    I will never torture myself if I felt I needed it.
  • law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I will make myself a piece of wheat toast, 1-T of pnut butter and 1/4 sliced banana before I go to the gym - roughly 195 calories, but a good source of carbs/protein. I find that if I don't have something in my system, I can get light headed if I"m working out hard.

I will drink protein immediately following my workout (optimal time is within 30 minutes of the end of your workout).
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    FOUND IT: .......

Walking Before a Meal
    Walking within a half hour or so of eating a meal decreases the amount of sugar and fats that accumulate in the blood after eating, especially when they originate from foods high in protein or carbohydrates. Physical activity also stimulates your metabolism, which burns energy and calories. According to a 2006 study published in “Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism," people who walked prior to putting any food in their stomach and who walked hard enough to perspire burned more fat than those who walked after eating.

. Walking After a Meal
    Depending on how much food you consume, engaging in light or moderate walking is an excellent way to rev up that metabolism and burn off those calories, as well as contribute to muscle and heart health. However, brisk walking is not suggested after consuming a heavy meal because the body is trying to digest a large mass of food while vigorously walking at the same time. This causes the blood supply to overextend itself, which forces the heart to perform at twice its rate. Wait about 45 minutes to an hour to walk after big meals.