GMO's - Help?!

Options
Two nights ago I watched the documentary "Genetic Roulette" and all I can say is, "WOW"

I thought I knew about GMO's before, but this blew my mind & now I want to get everything with a GMO out of my house & start eating clean.

Has anyone here already made the switch to eating clean (meaning non-GMO/organic)
Is is realistic to think I can eat all clean foods on a budget? Can I still shop at Albertsons or do I have to be a Trader Joes snob? :laugh:
What does your shopping list look like?

Any comments/concerns/rude remarks would be appreciated! :wink:

Replies

• jjefferies7
    Options
    I think you should just stop watching misinformed and biased documentaries with no real scientific backing. srs.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think you should just stop watching misinformed and biased documentaries with no real scientific backing. srs.

Agreed. Or at least you should not base your choices on said documentaries.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    Yep. Documentaries usually don't "equalize" pros and cons. They usually just stick to the cons of what the producer/director is trying to "inform" us about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    CmUOQ64.jpg
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Stopped reading at "documentary"
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Two nights ago I watched the documentary "Genetic Roulette" and all I can say is, "WOW"

I thought I knew about GMO's before, but this blew my mind & now I want to get everything with a GMO out of my house & start eating clean.

Has anyone here already made the switch to eating clean (meaning non-GMO/organic)
    Is is realistic to think I can eat all clean foods on a budget? Can I still shop at Albertsons or do I have to be a Trader Joes snob? :laugh:
    What does your shopping list look like?

Any comments/concerns/rude remarks would be appreciated! :wink:

People need to stop thinking of "documentaries" as unbiased reviews of science or truth.

Documentaries are, by nature, meant not to inform but to shock and awe. They are highly biased. These aren't educational shows created for the public good; the creators of this documentary want to sell videos and books.

There is a site called Academics Review that compares documentaries and books with peer-reviewed science, which is much less shocking and glamorous (which is why you spent your time watching this film instead of reading the latest issue of the New England Journal of Medicine). Turns out they reviewed the book associated with this documentary:

http://academicsreview.org/reviewed-content/genetic-roulette/

Bottom line: documentaries like this one are created for profit, not education. The truth is a casualty of this process.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen that documentary but I try to stay away from GMO's. It's difficult. There isn't much regulation around labelling for GMO's so if you decide to do it, it can be costly. I can't do it on a budget. When my budget allows it, I do buy as much organic as I can and brands I know are GMO free (it does involve a lot of local shopping.) But I can't do it on my current budget.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The book the documentary is based on is complete crap. Here's an actual scientific rebuttal...chapter by chapter...

http://academicsreview.org/reviewed-content/genetic-roulette/

(not that I expect you to read it)
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Is this MFP or Ebert & Roeper?

I was just hoping to get some advice about cleaning up my diet. I don't really care what you think of the documentary.

Thanks everyone!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I was just hoping to get some advice about cleaning up my diet. I don't really care what you think of the documentary.

Thanks everyone!

The premise of your question is flawed because it is based on an extremely biased, manipulative movie.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone!

You also said in your original post that concerns would be appreciated.

One concern was mentioned, rightfully so. It is somewhat concerning that you are making changes to your diet and lifestyle based on a documentary rather than evidence.
  • shadriel7
    Options
    i have yet to hear anything good about GMO's, and an awful lot of bad. I also hear a lot people who like to say "oh poo, thats just tripe" - but can't ever back it up with any real studies. Since I can't afford to run a lab of my own to perform my own studies dissecting and testing the stuff - what I can tell you is this: Since I started trying to buy as much of my food as I can from either Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (about 2 years now) - I eat less because the food seems more filling, it also tastes better, and I have noticed a significant improvement in my general health and energy levels. I also haven't been sick with a virus or cold once since - tho that is also about the same time i started acting like Monk around door knobs and using tissues or paper towels to open them whenever possible instead of my bare hand. Whats the actual cause of my improved health? I don't know for sure - but I do blame most of it on the non-GMO food. Also - its not that expensive if you pay attention to the pricings - Trader Joe's is about the same cost as anything I could get at the regular grocery stores around here, and I've found the Whole Foods 365 store brand to be quite delicious and much more reasonably priced than a lot of the other brands they sell.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    i have yet to hear anything good about GMO's, and an awful lot of bad. I also hear a lot people who like to say "oh poo, thats just tripe" - but can't ever back it up with any real studies. Since I can't afford to run a lab of my own to perform my own studies dissecting and testing the stuff - what I can tell you is this: Since I started trying to buy as much of my food as I can from either Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (about 2 years now) - I eat less because the food seems more filling, it also tastes better, and I have noticed a significant improvement in my general health and energy levels. I also haven't been sick with a virus or cold once since - tho that is also about the same time i started acting like Monk around door knobs and using tissues or paper towels to open them whenever possible instead of my bare hand. Whats the actual cause of my improved health? I don't know for sure - but I do blame most of it on the non-GMO food. Also - its not that expensive if you pay attention to the pricings - Trader Joe's is about the same cost as anything I could get at the regular grocery stores around here, and I've found the Whole Foods 365 store brand to be quite delicious and much more reasonably priced than a lot of the other brands they sell.

The pros of GMO crops are fast growth, drought resistance, pest resistance, and overall hardiness, which reduces the end consumer cost.

And there are plenty of studies posted on the forums, if you bother to read them.

ETA: Also, I would wager your improved health and energy levels are from eating better/less in general.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Science is dead.
  • wheird
    Options
    Science is dead.

Partial information with scary and somber music in the background is much more compelling.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone!

Honestly! BTW my shopping list since you asked: Whatever I want and as much as long as I reach my goal. Hope this helps :flowerforyou: And yes the flower is organic you may eat it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it may vary by area but I have a pretty healthy food budget and I could not afford to eat only non-GMO / organic. There is no Trader Joes or Whole Foods, or stores of that nature in my area, though.

There are a few things that I specifically buy organic or nothing, but generally I just look for whatever is on sale. And each year I grow more of my own produce and try to eat more wild or home-raised game.

Farmed fish and meat raised on hormones and antibiotics worries me more than GMO produce.
  • wheird
    Options
    I'm sure it may vary by area but I have a pretty healthy food budget and I could not afford to eat only non-GMO / organic. There is no Trader Joes or Whole Foods, or stores of that nature in my area, though.

There are a few things that I specifically buy organic or nothing, but generally I just look for whatever is on sale. And each year I grow more of my own produce and try to eat more wild or home-raised game.

Farmed fish and meat raised on hormones and antibiotics worries me more than GMO produce.

Plus wild/grass fed animals generally taste better. I have never noticed a real difference in organic produce taste.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Plus wild/grass fed animals generally taste better. I have never noticed a real difference in organic produce taste.

No, I don't think the produce does taste different based on organic. I would buy all organic if I could afford it and it was available (there is a lot of produce that simply isn't available organic in my area). Not because of taste or GMO, but because of honeybees.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Anything with HFCS in it, anything fried, anything processed is pretty much going to have GMO in it.