Treadmill calorie counter

Options
I do a 10 incline with 3.1 mph speed walk on my treadmill. After about 35 minutes, it says I lost about 400 calories. Is this accurate? It seems like it might be too much. How accurate is the treadmill? I have a nordic track.

Replies

• jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not accurate at all. The treadmill uses a straight formula to configure cals burned EXCEPT, it does not take into account your personal exertion. The only way to do that is via a HRM that measure yours HR. (not all HRMs measure your HR...one with a chest strap is your best option).
  • davischiky
    davischiky Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    so how do I accurately record my calories burned?
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I will usually enter a similar exercise in MFP - and I always calculate the LOWER of the two. No, it is not as accurate as a HRM, but not everyone can afford one (like me) - so I make do with the tools I've got. If I were you, I'd enter in MFP a 3.5 uphill walk and see where that gets you and enter the lower estimate. Good luck!
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    so how do I accurately record my calories burned?

Get yourself a HRM with a chest strap. Until then, I would judiciously use the treadmill counter and back out your BMR cals burned.
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    Get the HRM watch for sure. None of the machines are accurate. I've heard that they are all set for a 5'8 male. My elliptical gives me less calories than my watch. The HRM is the way to go. Chest strap or watch.
  • Joscelle
    Options
    The difference can be huge between individual machines too - when I didn't have my HRM, I had differences between 50-100. I would err on the side of caution and subtract somewhere in the middle - like 75.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you weigh around 205 pounds, give or take a few, then the number is as accurate as any you will get.