DOMS/Workout Stories

Options
Capt_Inzane
Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
I'm sitting here sore from a workout last night and remembered a blog post I made two years ago about really pushing myself in the gym. There is a TLDR version at the bottom.

Thursday, May 17, 2012
Didn't know I could hurt there
So as I type this honestly I can barely lift my hands to move them across the keyboard but I have so much I want to share. I've been a lil naughty and kept a secret from the blog. I signed up for a free class at x3 which is a local mma training facility. I don't want to call it a gym because well I don't think it is one. The area that has workout equipment is smaller than my living room but what they offer is so much more.

Ok so basically here is their website x3sports.com. I highly recommend you check it out. I leave work and go straight there as its 1 min from my work and get there early for my 6:30 kickboxing class. I'm extremely nervous because this is an MMA place and lets face it I'm not exactly in healthy shape let alone comfortable walking around a bunch of guys who have 6-packs or even 8-packs. I mean I got a 6 pack but its missing two and in the frig.

I invited a few friends to go with me as they need the workout just as much as me and I thought it'd help me out calm my nerves well unfortunately none of my friends showed up which really bummed me out. I feel like a lot of my friends would rather sit on a couch or a computer and ignore life instead of live it. I'm really thinking about the life I want to live and wondering if I have room for people who don't want that lifestyle for themselves. I'm not saying I'll ignore my friends but eventually I'm going to stop asking them if they want to do anything and then eventually just stop calling them all together because I'll have other things to do. It just saddens me is all.

Enough of that, so at 5:45 I get the nerve to walk in the door because I started telling myself I was just gonna go home and got all those little excuses in my head. I was greeted by a few people who said hello and then some of the workers came up to me to see if they could help me. Now this isn't a review or anything well not technically but everyone there was extremely friendly and just seemed to keep up with me. I explained to them that I was going through a divorce and just wanted to be more fit and enjoy life. Kinda like what I do here. I basically got there so early there was nothing for me to do so I watched the facility and just got a good feel for the vibe.

I knew that I wouldn't have another chance to evaluate it as they don't have a weekly pass or anything like that and in order for me to come back I'd have to sign up into a minimum twelve month contract which scares me because of how flaky I am sometimes. Well I really loved the vibe everyone was friendly and helped one another it was great. I read the blog and a bunch of reviews and just overall knew I was going to join before I even got there.

Lets get to the good part, the workout. As I said above I did the kickboxing class which is more aerobics with kickboxing than really a class. It kicked my butt seriously. Five minutes into it I was sweating and wondering what the world I got myself into. Twenty minutes into it I'm not able to keep up and feel my body fighting me to want to go to taco-bell and play video games. Then we stretch...WHAT THE! ()&@( what the heck was that before the stretch? A warm-up! Are you flipping serious that was the warmup!? Dear Lord this place is trying to kill me. I'm calling Steele so many bad names in my head but when he comes to show me what I'm doing wrong or gives me words of motivation I thank him..What the THANK HIM you fool idiot mouth what are you doing my body screams to me. If my body was in better shape it may had attacked him right then! So we finish the stretch and this is the first time I have to take a water break...during the stretch. We did some sorta neck role thing and my head just went dizzy and I was like WHOA THERE BOY WHOA! Right when I came back from my 1min water break we actually went on a water break.

Steele came up to me and encouraged me again and let me know to get some water which he probably saw due to the pond I left on their floor I needed to be re-hydrated. So we get to the workout the real meat and potatoes or should it be spinach leaves and i dunno something else that's healthy. He starts pushing us harder, better, faster, stronger (don't sue me Daft Punk) and then it hits me. The realization that I'm seriously out of shape like not even a little but a lot. These people are doing 10 push-ups I'm doing like .2. Have I really let myself go this far? Here I am doing insanity and p90x workouts at home and while I feel like I'm truly working out and doing the video's I realize I'm settling. I settle a lot with a lot of different things in my life

I have to take a few more breaks this second go round and basically couldn't keep up. It was the hardest workout I've ever done in my entire life. Afterwards I'm not really like winded breathing wise but just burn and ache OH yea the last 5minutes I got a charlie horse or the grip of death on my leg. Doing bicycle kicks while having one was well difficult. I had to stop a lot but I had to stop either way because of suckiness of the body. The leg didn't help none though I powered through it like a champ.

I'm tired of settling its time for me to take control of my life and just push forward. I don't need my friends or family's approval and support. I can be my own approval and my own support system. So I signed up for the center and plan to go 3 times a week. Its expensive and a twelve month contract is a big deal to just throw money away HOWEVER your not joining a gym its a lifestyle a change. I'm joining an extended family that does activities and they hopefully one day will invite me! I'm joining new brothers and sister that will push me to be a better person. I need to surround myself with positive people who want more therefore I feed off of them and I want more.

I wasn't able to do the BMI testing or anything however I did check my weight and am disappointed big time. I didn't think I was eating too unhealthy and I've gained weight up to 309. I can't lose weight on my own I know that I need help. x3 appears to have a strong support system and I hope one day I can be on their blog writing as I am now and eventually be one of their many success stories of how getting healthy and fit not only made me look great but changed the person I am into a better one. Wow how your body gets the energy to write about something that's so amazing.

I can honestly say this is the sorest I've ever been after a workout.

TLDR

I went back and read the entire thing and I didn't go into how bad I hurt. I remember waking up at 5am with my son on my arm and in tears because I couldn't breath. It hurt to blink. I remember calling my little sister who is a dancer and asking her what to do and she advised to stretch. God I hated that day. What's upsetting to me is that was 2 years ago, if I would had kept up with the training and the commitment that seemed so easy back then I'd probably surpassed my goals by now. Oh well, I'm more determined now than ever I think. The gym has became a routine that's difficult to shake.

Replies

• CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of you! You could have stopped for good, but instead you are still fighting for it and refuse to throw in the towel!