Weight Gain With Omeprazole

Options
I have a horrible stomach. I was diagnosed with h-plyori, did the triple therapy treatment, but the h-plyori caused numerous small ulcers. I also have esophagitis, gastritis, duodenitis, and a hiatal hernia. I have been taking omeprazole for 14 months and it has helped my stomach function so much better. The problem is though, my hunger and fullness cues are all messed up. I can only attribute that to the medicine since it keeps my stomach acids really low. I have gained 20 pounds since I've been taking omeprazole these 14 months.

At any rate, I don't want to stay on the medicine anymore. I know it isn't good for bones and it clearly isn't good for my weight. I haven't taken it since Monday and I'm starting to get the severe burn that always makes me go running back to it. Tums do help a bit and baking soda helps the best, but that can raise my blood pressure, so I have to stay away from that. Do any of you have any experience with this and could offer me some tips that helped you stop your PPIs?

Thanks, Sandy

Replies

• Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Popping Tums all the time is bad for you also. The calcium carbonate in Tums temporarily reduces the acid, but then your body overcompensates and produces more acid. Taking Tums leads to needing Tums... (Not to mention all the added calories in the form of sugar to make that chalk palatable.)

I have severe reflux that was not controlled by Omeprazole. I take Nexium. I noticed just the opposite regarding eating. I ate more trying to wash the acid down. I suspect with the excess acid, esophagitis and gastritis you simply had no appetite. When you got the acid under control it caused your appetite to return.

PPIs do have side effects, such as causing decreased calcium and magnesium absorption (weight gain is generally not one of them). Speak to your doctor about appropriate supplements to compensate for this. For me, taking the PPI and additional supplements was a better alternative than the increased risk of esophageal cancer caused by the reflux.
    Your mileage may vary! :bigsmile:
  • sandyluvsfall
    Options
    Thank you Shari.
  • kcm105
    kcm105 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey, I take omeprazole as well but I'm in the process of weaning off of it. My doctor recommended it to me about 6 months ago, but I had no idea that it was only supposed to be taken short term. I tried to quit and immediately felt so awful I went right back. I did some Googling and have found that weaning is about the only way to quit after any sort of long-term use. It's a long process but so far it's truly working for me. Right now I'm taking just 1/2 of a pill per day. There's a description out there of how to do it, but so far it's really working and I really believe I will be off of it completely in a couple of months. Let me know if you want more info.
  • sandyluvsfall
    Options
    Thanks KCM105. If cold turkey gets too much, I have many have to pick up my refill and wean off of it.