Weekend away - help please! How do I stay on track?

Maggie1960
Maggie1960 Posts: 322
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Tomorrow I finish work at 3pm and we are driving down to Oxford to stay with my mum for the weekend. On Saturday, it's my niece's wedding in London, and on Sunday it's my sister's birthday, and I've just been told we are going for lunch at an all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant.
Now my mum, bless her heart, likes to cook, and will have a meal waiting when we arrive. And the wedding reception will be a sit-down five course meal. As for the all-you-can-eat lunch on Sunday, I need ideas for what I can choose!!!
HELP!:sad:

Replies

• My suggestion would be to see if there is any item offered that is steamed on the buffet like steamed shrimp with vegtables or steamed chicken and broccoli with the sauce on the side. Use minimal sauce. And get steamed rice instead of fried rice. Just load up on veggies!! Good luck and have fun out of town!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Watch your portion size. Just because it's all you can eat or 5 courses doesn't mean you HAVE to eat that much. You can just have parts of each course and watch portion size on the buffet, choose smart lots of veggies, skip the dressing for the salad (I love cottage cheese on my salad actually), don't eat anything deep fried etc.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    You can just look at something and know if you should eat it . . . is it breaded, deep fried, covered in sauce? You will be consuming some things that are heavier in fat and sodium than you would like so make sure to exercise good portion control.

Anytime I've been faced with a buffet I grab one of the smaller salad plates as that automatically helps you have a reasonable portion, and don't go back for seconds unless it is a salad that isn't soaked in dressing.

Bottom line is that sometimes we have things in life that will interfere with losing weight. It isn't going to make any difference if you indulge a bit because you will come home and get right back to your healthy ways. Sometimes we do need to enjoy ourselves without guilt because darn it . . . we really deserve it!

Have a great weekend!
  • no noodles and no fried things like wontons or sweet n sour anything no dumplings- i think some sauces are ok like beef and brocoli but your friend is right - anything steamed would be the best - the schechwan dishes tend to have lots of cut up little vegis in them so they'[re usually ok, lemon chicken,, curried dishes should be better than things like orange chicken and of course the soup is great just great to fill up on cuz there's little fat and some have vegis and tofu in them i'm not too sure about that sour soup that might have bad stuff in it - but i'd take a wonton or two if i could have wor wanton soup which is lots of boiled vegis and lean meats

at the 5 course - skip the pasta and bread and potato- instead eat the meat and vegis - and of course a few bites of dessert it is a wedding after all

and why not ask your mom in advance to make one thing at least at her dinner that's lo cal that you can fill up on and then pick at the fun stuff

not even sure if this is good advise except that this is what i'd do - if i'd even decided to diet at all three functions - i'd probably pick one function (the wedding) to eat at without restrctions and make good choices at the other two

hope this helps
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Watch your portion size. Just because it's all you can eat or 5 courses doesn't mean you HAVE to eat that much. You can just have parts of each course and watch portion size on the buffet, choose smart lots of veggies, skip the dressing for the salad (I love cottage cheese on my salad actually), don't eat anything deep fried etc.

This, exactly!!
  • labrat26
    labrat26 Posts: 60 Member
    these all sound like great ideas...thanks for posting, cause I go a one week holiday with hubby, starting Sunday......I am very nervous about the food.......I can undo 4 weeks worth in one week easily, but I also know that I will have to come back to report to all of you, so....hmmmmmm.....I will be making more choices that are acceptable to this site......don't be hard on yourself if you slip up.....we have all been there, or we would not be here.....but do your best, and I will do the same.
    Have a fun weekend.
    Lianne
This discussion has been closed.