Chicken Stock - Removing fat deposits

Options
stutba
stutba Posts: 152 Member
Thought I would pass this along. I normally buy chicken stock when I make chicken noodle soup. I have been trying to get away from buying pre-packed food and thought I would make my own stock today.
After boiling my chicken, the broth had a lot of fat floating on top from the skin. (Skin was tossed before made soup). It also had a lot of unappetizing looking little tid bits.

Solution: I took my broth and ran it through my coffee filter. Worked like a charm. No fat on my broth and all of those bits removed.
I had to change the paper filter about 3 times.

Side note, I did add a few bouillon cubes for additional flavor. I didn't add any more salt into my soup because they are loaded with sodium. (Not sure if adding bouillon cubes made my broth any better/healthier than the store bought or not)

Replies

• DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thought I would pass this along. I normally buy chicken stock when I make chicken noodle soup. I have been trying to get away from buying pre-packed food and thought I would make my own stock today.
    After boiling my chicken, the broth had a lot of fat floating on top from the skin. (Skin was tossed before made soup). It also had a lot of unappetizing looking little tid bits.

Solution: I took my broth and ran it through my coffee filter. Worked like a charm. No fat on my broth and all of those bits removed.
    I had to change the paper filter about 3 times.

Side note, I did add a few bouillon cubes for additional flavor. I didn't add any more salt into my soup because they are loaded with sodium. (Not sure if adding bouillon cubes made my broth any better/healthier than the store bought or not)

If you added bullion, it's probably no better than store bought.

What did you use to make your stock? I've never had to add extra flavorings to mine, but I use a ton of veggies and spices when I'm cooking the chicken down. When I remove fat I just put the stock in the fridge/freezer for a bit and scrape off what forms on the top. I make a ton of stock every few months and use as needed. Nommy.
  • MissSethra
    MissSethra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've also used the coffee filters to remove some of the fat, and fridge/freezer for the rest. But I usually use the 'leavings' of the chicken for the broth, skin on since I am going to skim the fat later, and add in bits of veggies for added flavor. I try to keep a baggie in freezer to put celery/carrot ends, onion skins and ends that sort of thing, so when I make stock I can just throw that into pot for added flavor. Also keep a bag in freezer to put chicken tails/wings and trimmings from when I buy chicken breasts to use for stock if I don't have left over roasted chicken. Just a personal choice since I can't stand boiled chicken and those pieces wouldn't be eaten on their own anyways.
  • NCMeg
    NCMeg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can also tear paper towels in strips and dredge it across the top after all the grease comes to the top. That works too. I try to make mine enough in advance to put it in the fridge for a while, and remove it that way too.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. Next time I make, will for go the bouillons to really make as healthy as can be. I think I will look for a good broth base recipe and start there.
    I love the idea of freezing for later use.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So an easy way to save up for chicken stock is to have a freezer bag and when you cut up an onion, celery, or any other vegetable you can put the trimmings in the bag and keep it in the freezer. You can also put your chicken bones in there. Once the beg is full, dump it in the slow cooker, fill with water to cover, add another quartered onion, a carrot or two and a celery stick or two (cut to 2" pieces) and cook on low all day. Then you strain the broth put it in a stock pot or a large bowl, cover and put in the fridge overnight. the next day you can skim the layer of fat off. (there will be a lot if there is chicken skin in the bag.

This is a very rich broth and there is no need to add any bullion (I do add salt!)

Also, for more flavor and satiety, leave some fat. (if you are using organic chicken especially).