Heart rate= calories burned..

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
When I do the arc trainer. My heart rate is always between 130-150 and it says that within 10 minutes i burn like 100 calories. I do it for 35 minutes and I just log that I burned 300 calories. Does that sound accurate? I dont have an hrm. i bough a cheap one..and it sucks.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Depends on your conditioning. At your weight, burning 10 calories per minute is roughly the equivalent of running a 10:00 mile. Can you run at that speed (6 mph) for 30 minute? If "no", then you are burning less.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    It's definitely believable. I would be going at a really good pace, sweating up a storm, heart rate was high, and burn about 10 calories per minute on the elliptical. I can burn about the same running intervals outside. Buuut I weigh about 30 pounds heavier so you may not be burning as much. You burn less the less you weigh - at least that's how I understand it.

You definitely need a HRM. Set aside a little bit of money from each paycheck 'til you have enough for one. I got mine for $80 plus shipping off Amazon. It's so much better than anything else.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I doubt it. It's really hard to get a 10 calorie/minute burn on the elliptical or the ArcTrainer without having the resistance really high/doing major intervals. If you were more into the overweight category, it could be possible...but I don't think it is for your build.

On my best days on the ArcTrainer, I could get 8 calories per minute but I was drenched in sweat and I was doing real hard intervals with resistance. And I was at the same weight as you. To be safe, I'd give yourself 7 calories a minute. And suggest doing some intervals with the resistance to increase your burn. Get a better HRM when you can!

As a comparison, I burn about 13 calories/minute doing speed workouts (fast/slow running intervals) on a hilly course. The intervals average about 6mph - which is usually a 10 calorie/minute burn. So intervals are the way to go!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    It's definitely believable. I would be going at a really good pace, sweating up a storm, heart rate was high, and burn about 10 calories per minute on the elliptical. I can burn about the same running intervals outside. Buuut I weigh about 30 pounds heavier so you may not be burning as much. You burn less the less you weigh - at least that's how I understand it.

You definitely need a HRM. Set aside a little bit of money from each paycheck 'til you have enough for one. I got mine for $80 plus shipping off Amazon. It's so much better than anything else.

DAMN IT! Then I'm prob not burning that much. ughh man thats a bummer
This discussion has been closed.