Fat loss and hormones (FEMALES)

Behavior_Modification
Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
WARNING--don't read this if you don't want to see another post about menstrual periods...

Ever since February when I've started to lose weight my PMS seems to be 10X worse and totally uncontrollable and lasts so much longer. Like so bad I just want to stay at home so I don't embarrass myself or hurt people. I just can't handle it anymore and feel like I'm losing my mind sometimes. Especially today, hence the call for help. What do women do for such bad PMS? (besides hide)

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    Maybe you should mention this to your doctor...they can make proper recommendations especially if it's impacting your relationships/going out...sounds pretty serious
  • I have REALLY BAD PMS!!!! I just try to avoid as many people as possible and hide...

Good luck!!
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Well there are natural remedies like L-trpyptophan and chasteberry. Also upping your calcium and magnesium. Lower your sodium intake, drink lots of water and keep up the exercise. Also a B vitamin complex seems to help.

I suffer from PMDD so I have extremely horrid pre-menstrual issues. I tried medication for it and it didn't work for me. So I'm going more of the el natural route.

Cheer,
    Katie (aka Kekibird)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Maybe you should mention this to your doctor...they can make proper recommendations especially if it's impacting your relationships/going out...sounds pretty serious

Not a bad idea. I wish more MDs had evening hours. :grumble:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Mine was really bad yesterday. I wanted to beat someone. I am no help.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member

Are there any walk in clinics that are open after regular work hours. I'm on Naproxen for the phsyical issues. Take care of yourself sweetness :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Behavior_Modification

Are there any walk in clinics that are open after regular work hours. I'm on Naproxen for the phsyical issues. Take care of yourself sweetness :heart: :flowerforyou:

Thanks hon, I'm going to PM you on this too.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    What really helps me is doing light yoga stretches for about 20 minutes and then about 5-10 minutes of mediation. The 30 minutes I set back just for me to get my mind and body on better terms with each other really makes a difference. I feel calmer, more relaxed, and better able to handle the world "outside". :)

I hope that helps, sweetie!

*big hugs*
    ~Stacy
  • When someone figures out an effective method, LET ME KNOW!
    I'm a ticking time bomb waiting to explode pre-menstrual and then I turn into the human equivalent of a full blown nuclear bomb
    :laugh:

P.S. Most of that was just for a laugh ... Since I've started eating right, drinks lots of water, and exercising my PMSing hasn't been so bad but before, that's how i was!
  • Behavior_Modification
    What really helps me is doing light yoga stretches for about 20 minutes and then about 5-10 minutes of mediation. The 30 minutes I set back just for me to get my mind and body on better terms with each other really makes a difference. I feel calmer, more relaxed, and better able to handle the world "outside". :)

I hope that helps, sweetie!

*big hugs*
    ~Stacy

Thanks Stacy. :heart:
  • Behavior_Modification
    When someone figures out an effective method, LET ME KNOW!
    I'm a ticking time bomb waiting to explode pre-menstrual and then I turn into the human equivalent of a full blown nuclear bomb
    :laugh:

P.S. Most of that was just for a laugh ... Since I've started eating right, drinks lots of water, and exercising my PMSing hasn't been so bad but before, that's how i was!

Thanks for the laugh, but unfortunately for me that is exactly how I feel NOW that I AM exercising and eating better! But I'm wondering if it is from all the extra estrogen from the fat cells? And is there something that can be done about this?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    WARNING--don't read this if you don't want to see another post about menstrual periods...

Ever since February when I've started to lose weight my PMS seems to be 10X worse and totally uncontrollable and lasts so much longer. Like so bad I just want to stay at home so I don't embarrass myself or hurt people. I just can't handle it anymore and feel like I'm losing my mind sometimes. Especially today, hence the call for help. What do women do for such bad PMS? (besides hide)

Thanks for the laugh, but unfortunately for me that is exactly how I feel NOW that I AM exercising and eating better! But I'm wondering if it is from all the extra estrogen from the fat cells? And is there something that can be done about this?

My suggestion is keep eating well, stay away from soy if you''re eating it for the time being, keep up with the excercise and the extra craziness of the hormones will lesson. That's my experience anyhow. I hear ya, I was standing on the ledge crazy and didn't know where to turn, so I just keep heading to the gym, drinking more water, no caffeine, no chocolate (in excess) lay low on the sodium and and I added in more Yoga, meditation, things to calm my body mind and spirit.

Yes I do believe it has everything to do with extra fat holding extra estrogen, that's why it's far harder to get pregnant for woman when heavy and our periods can be way out of whack from the extra we hold as well. My period used to last and last, really and last, it lasted 9 months until I finally went to the doc. Why did I wait so long, I thought the doc would tell me I was dying, so I put it off. Yea not to rational thinking, when you think the worst, right?

Found out my period was simply thrown off from all the extra weight, she put me on a progestrone only pill to balance me out, I had plenty of Estrogen in my body (far too much actually which puts you at HIGH risk of breast cancer, cervical cancer all the girly cancer, yay right? bah!) so all I needed was some progestrone and back to normal, but now my periods are so light because of that pill and the crazy moods/cramps are almost non-existant. No more craziness, no more looking for ledges.

Ok, so some months, not every but a few times a year I have two crazy times a month a week before my period and mid cycle (ovulation) and I do get moody at times, cry for what appears to be no reason for something someone says or does or I think they say or do...lol so I stay away from ppl that don't understand it and better yet, if I could stay away from my ownself I'd do that as well during those few and far between times. lol

But those times have been cut back dramatically as I've lost most of my extra weight and workout regularly. Hang in there Diane, the estrogen will lessen, really it will. Not all docs understand our body hold more with our higher weight. Might check the libray for a Woman (for now I recall her first name is Christine, as I remember I'll share the rest) that writes a terrific book on Menopause, nope, I'm not menopusal and nope neither are you. She just explains this sort of thing SO well as she talks about 'post menopausal (which simply means 'before menopaus', which means after you've got your period, so we're all basically peri unless we're meno or post. LOL

It's 330am hope something here made sense.........if not feel free to PM me and I'll even respond this time, PROMISE, Love you girl xoxox's Becca
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    What were you eating pre-menstrually before you started dieting? If it was lots of chocolate you were boosting your serotonin levels with that but also getting all the bad effects from the fat and sugar in it. You can use St John's Wort to boost serotonin but be warned it does interact with the pill and other meds and can stop them working. A group of antidepressants called SSRIs (Prozac is the main one) are licensed for PMT and can just be taken for 2 weeks each cycle to help this, or you could use a mini-pill to keep your hormones in a steady state and suppress your periods altogether.
    As a first though I'd try B vitamins and starflower or evening primrose oil caps. I use Berocca for a few days each time to keep me from killing my husband and it suits me well.
    Hope that helps,

DD
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    I will reply to this since I am struggling today. Well First I would talk with your docotor. Also I would look at what your eating or not eating. I generally have 2-3 bad days. Today is one of them. More pain and flow. I also want to say when I turned 30 things with my hormones and cycles did change. They seem to be more heavey more painful and longer. That may be what is going on with you. Working out is actually suppose to help relieve symtoms of PMS. Again remember that what we eat or dont eat will affect our cycles. Hormones and age does too. If this has been going on and it getting worse Definatly go see your OB GYN and see if there is anything else going on. It Sucks being a female. The other things I notice is I have hot flashes with my cycle. I am going to be 34 in a few weeks and have been dealing with flashes with my cycle like I said since around the age of 30. Good luck.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    PS Watch the salt/sodium that will make things lots worse. Lots of fresh fruit veggies and low fat dairy
  • Behavior_Modification
    Thanks for the imput ladies. Becca, yes all made sense (Get some sleep girl!), thank you. As far as what I was eating before dieting, well yes there was lots of chocolate among other naughty sugary items. I luckily am feeling a wee bit better today but still want to bite some heads off. But at least I can think a little more clearly today and I'm looking forward to R&R starting very soon. I think seeing my MD is a great idea, maybe she will have some ideas too. I really do appreciate the responses everyone!
This discussion has been closed.