''But you're already skinny''

Options
Has any other slim person on here gotten that reaction from people when you tell them that you want to join the gym? I'm 5'10 and 150 pounds, and when I tell people I try to eat healthy and go to the gym regular the reaction I always get is ''Why are you doing that? You're already skinny!''

I've even been accused of being anorexic because of this

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Tell them 'and why do you think I'm skinny?'. Should shut them up...
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You could always say you want to be healthy and exercise is good for you.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Because so many people see skinny as the goal, and once you're there there's nothing else to do. it's these same people who are suckers for diet pills, master cleanses and fat wraps.

Luckily you know better!
  • lemonshredding
    lemonshredding Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I get this.

I am 5"9 and 141lbs. (64kg) but I spent most of my life really active and healthy and easily maintained 123 lbs for the majority of my life so when my diet and exercise habits plummeted, my weight did the same. And even though I'm a health 20 BMI now I am really trying to improve my eating and exercise habits, yet always get "Oh just live a little have some pizza you aren't obese".

Thanks.

Thanks for saying I'm not obese. I know that. But I can and want to be better, healthier, fitter, stronger.

Have your pizza. I eat pizza, ice cream and chocolate, but when it works for ME when I feel I want it not when others say I should because I'm not overweight.

Ugh so annoying. Keep your chin up! People will always confuse thin with healthy and health-conscious for vain or disordered eating.

Ignore the haters/ignorant :)
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    People still need to exercise for health so anyone who says "why would you do that, you're already skinny?" are obviously stupid.