Holy sugar consumption Batman!!

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,922 Member
    Options
    Carbs are made of sugar, fiber, and other things. The carbs from fiber don't raise your insulin so those are good ones. If you are going to have carbs, make them high fiber. The carbs made of sugar will create an insulin response. This in itself wont make you gain weight but it is not something you want at every meal. Instead of worrying about sugar from a piece of fruit or fresh veggies be more concerned about where the foods you eat fall on the glycemic index. People are calling the Glycemic Index "diet" a fad, but honestly, it has been saving the lives of diabetic people for many many years and I don't personally consider it a fad. More recently, the benfits have been seen in non-diabetics. If you are concerned about your sugar intake, it may be beneficial to you.

Here is what the American Heart Assosication says, http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Glycemic-Index-and-Diabetes_UCM_457070_Article.jsp
    Meh, GI is extremely overrated. GL on the other hand deals with the glycemic load put on the body, kinda of like the tree and forest analogy.
  • AreUjoking2
    Options
    I don't think sugar is the devil or anything - but I do think an easy way to reduce your calories is to cut down on added sugar - try to wean down the amount you have in coffee for example and try to choose unsweetened versions of products where possible.
    OJ with no added sugar vs sweetened OJ, for example.

Incidentally my daughter is in USA for 6 months - she did comment that the bread there is much sweeter tasting than in Australia.
    I wonder if you have more added sugar to bread than we have here.

I know you can get many varied versions of bread - but talking about run of the mill, sandwich bread from supermarkets.

I just checked my loaf and is 3 g per 100g serving (everything in Australia is listed as per 100g)
    Just curious.
    My bread is 3g per 40g
  • AreUjoking2
    Options
    Good to know about weighing the bread. Didn't think about it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't bad for you unless your doctor has advised that you stay away from it... It's a carb... Focus on carbs as a whole instead of sugar. Stop looking at the number, and instead focus on something like..... Fiber.... instead.:wink:
    This.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I don't think sugar is the devil or anything - but I do think an easy way to reduce your calories is to cut down on added sugar - try to wean down the amount you have in coffee for example and try to choose unsweetened versions of products where possible.
    OJ with no added sugar vs sweetened OJ, for example.

Incidentally my daughter is in USA for 6 months - she did comment that the bread there is much sweeter tasting than in Australia.
    I wonder if you have more added sugar to bread than we have here.

I know you can get many varied versions of bread - but talking about run of the mill, sandwich bread from supermarkets.

I just checked my loaf and is 3 g per 100g serving (everything in Australia is listed as per 100g)
    Just curious.
    My bread is 3g per 40g

Thanks for that - ok, so more than twice the sugar of my standard supermarket wholemeal bread at 3g sugar per 100 g product.

Are you in USA?

Very interesting.