How to calculate food that is not listed

Options
Hi all,

Just a quick question.. Im finding it hard to figure out how to calculate some foods. For instance today I made a chicken stew and when I typed that it there were so many options i didnt know which one to select. Should I go through every ingredient I put in the stew or should I click generic - homemade stew.

Id appreciate any help

Anne

Replies

• MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    YES! I know that is really time consuming - but enter in every ingredient then save it as one of your meals. As you start to build on your regular meals - it gets much easier. Good luck!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Create a recipe and just use that
  • hmrtym
    hmrtym Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Even though it takes a while, it is much better to make your own recipe calculation and save it. Then you know what the content is for future makings! And you could be surprised it may be better (and probably is) than other options :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It is time consuming to enter every ingredient but I do it sometimes. For things I make often, I go to Food, Recipes, Create Recipe and enter the Ingredients and recipe.
  • 3110cynthia
    Options
    i go ahead and make the recipi too - and for things like chicken soup in the future you can substitute vegis based on what you got in the fridge becasue they're so little difference in calorie - at least that's what i do when i make a recipi - if i add something that's really going to count caloriewise just put in the "chicken soup" and then lets say you added hot sausage for a change then put in your diary the extra ingedient so the diary is going to read your recipi chicken soup and hot sausage and .......

i like using the reicipi thingamagig cuz once you make a whole recipi you're likiely to have it again that day or the next or the next and you'll already have it down in your recipis so just click on it and it's in your diary

My eggplant lasagna was much less calorie than the one in the ingredient list - and i was very careful to put in as exactly as i could each ingredient and amt - and careful measuring out serving - and you'll find the servings are bigger with homemade food cuz it's all natural no added whey or soybean oil or corn syrup or other weird *&^( that goes into prcessed food and hence adds to their calorie count

give it a try you might really like it - i do (obviously) - aahhhh but i like cooking
    i think there might be a way to look up ea other's recipi's - don't know how - but it says on there something about your recipis are copyrighted for you

good luck