At Home Exercise

Does anyone have any good at home exercise programs for building upper body strength? I have a gym membership and use it for cardio, but am a little intimidated to work out next to the ripped guys at the gym. I would love to build a little upper body strength at home to feel a little more comfortable. Currently I am doing dips and push-ups mostly, but know I'm not getting a complete body workout. Any advice or links would be awesome.

Thanks
Zach

Replies

• LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Check out www.jefit.com. They have an extensive database of exercises & routines including Bodyweight ones.
  • summyv
    summyv Posts: 20 Member
    I don't know if you're interested in a chick perspective, but I almost exclusively exercise at home. I bought a set of weights and a mat. When I first got the weights, I did some of the weight exercises that came with the weights. And after watching some home exercise videos (30 day shred mostly), I integrated the exercises that involved weights into my routine. Now, I have muscles and better upper body strength- I was speaking to my brother the other day on Skype, and he said he could see my muscles through my long sleeve shirt!

Hope this helps a bit.
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Cancel your gym membership and start using any of the BeachBody programs. They're all great. You just have to find the one that suits you. I'm currently doing Power 90 and almost done. Before the program, I couldn't do a single pushup. Today I cranked out 99 of them. My plan is to move on to Power 90 Master Series next. Then possibly to P90X3. They all work.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Go at different times and you'll usually find people of all sizes.
    I really wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, yes, have a google for 'convict training' - there's many other body weight routines.

I'd go for low reps and weighting it up as much as possible - I wouldn't suggest workout DVDs as these tend to be cardio made slightly harder
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    1 Don't be intimidated by anyone.
    2 You need some pulling & squatting to go with the pushing movements. Pull ups or inverted rows, and squats. Some good resources for body weight exercise are
    Convict conditioning
    YAYOG
    nerdfitness
    Shot of adrenaline

All of my strength is done with bodyweight
  • Bump for lata