Is there a way to vary daily calorie goals with MFP?

Options
Hello,

I'm newer to MFP tools and I'm trying to figure out how to best set this up to allow for daily variations in calories (high/low days). I've had success with programs like WW where you always had "flex points" and could have a higher calorie day regardless of it was a rest day or a long workout day. For some training like distance running, I also find that sometimes the high calorie day needs to be before/after the event for proper fuel and recovery. Under MFP, you only get extra calories on the day you exercise.

So can you set up this program to allow for a different calorie goal each day?

TIA!

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You would have to manually change it every day, I'm afraid /:
  • marra501
    marra501 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can we suggest this as an update to the site and/or app???
    I agree with smilyus. You can look at your weekly net calories but i'm having to work off a spreadsheet to workout my daily variations.
    Having the ability to input your own calorie target as you flick through the calendar would be great.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    u can set a min for lowest days and days u want to eat more add exercise in the amount u want the cals above that amount.
  • samacooper
    samacooper Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    (deleted)
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You can take weekly averages instead of daily, so if you track your exercise and it gives you a very high number on one day you can use it over the course of the week. That is one way to look at it. As long as you are not worried about seeing your total in Red on some days. (Which you really shouldn't be)

Another is if you have another app that tracks your exercise, I know that for example I 'earn' extra calories here from my FITBIT when I walk, you would have to link them.

The only other thing you could do is adjust manually every day.
  • marra501
    Options
    Ah yes, the App has in the Goals Settings the ability to change the calorie target.
    That is a good workaround - Thanks!
    Still be a decent option to set daily/weekly goals in that screent though.
    I use Runkeeper to track my walking and use the strength training in the cardiovascular exercise screen to estimate calories burned in the gym - I'm hoping for a JEFIT link at some point.
    I had a fitbug - in fact I've had 2 - but i keep losing them!
    I was looking at the fitbug orb which is a lot cheaper than the Fitbit - without scouring the forums anyone have an opinion on which is better?
    Also would either or both track calories from weight training if worn? Off topic I know, so if anyone has any useful links on this to look at when I come back (off to the footy), I'd be really grateful!!
    Thanks in advance and for your replies.
  • VegGirl62
    VegGirl62 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of a weekly goal for calories versus a daily goal! :)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    u can set a min for lowest days and days u want to eat more add exercise in the amount u want the cals above that amount.

This makes PERFECT sense!!! Just as people often lower the amount of calories they "earn" by exercise because they don't want their daily log to show they finished with a surplus, you could add an exercise that earned you "X" amount of calories just as a means to increase the amount for that day. Brilliant!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would love if we could have a range for calories instead of a set number. I mean how many of us eat 1600 calories exactly? I personally keep my target at the lowest I would be eating since I don't stick to a strict number but rather range up to my maintenance. I'm rarely under my target.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Also would either or both track calories from weight training if worn? Thanks in advance and for your replies.

Don't know anything about a fitbug, however a FitBit only tracks steps, so only really useful when walking. Not useful for strength training. I am not sure that there is anything that can accurately track calories burned during strength/resistance/weight training as you are hardly in an aerobic state when lifting.
  • marra501
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I think the adding of an exercise to manipulate different daily calorie requirements is best on reflection.
    I've ordered a fitbug orb as I get a good deal being a pru health member.
    I'll use that for cardio abd MFP's estimates forcalories burned through weight training.