Hello all.

Options
In mid July I was attending San Diego Comic-Con and I and several friends always donate blood at the Robert A. Heinlein Memorial Blood Drive. Well this year during the screening I was refused for reasons of high blood pressure, so high in fast the screener made me promise to see my physician immediately, I was at 160/113. This is a huge bummer for me since I have been donating at this blood drive for nearly a decade. Visited my Dr. the following Monday and we are aggressively treating my Stage 3 Hypertension.

Even before this news I was starting a half hearted attempt at weight loss for myself but also for a special someone in my life. Well, nearly 40 years of bad habits are tough to beat and It was not going so well. But the Hypertension was a real motivation boost and I have gotten very determined. I have cut my caloric intake by 1000 calories per day, I work out more in one week than I used to in a year (sad but true), and I am eating healthier than I ever have. :)

Anyway, wish me luck and if you live in the San Diego area, hit me up and we can possibly each other stay motivated.

Replies

• lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This is a great site and you'll find a lot of people who are helpful and supportive. Good for you for taking the step to get healthy.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    hi chance ,.......hey , what kind of medication are you on? Also, hows your cholesterol and sugars?

The weight loss and exercise will help tons in lowering your bp

Good luck, hows the bp now , that you are taking meds?

Try the Niacin, 500 mg Flush, it helps lower bp as well.........Lloyd
  • chance808
    Options
    I am on an ACE Inhibitor, don’t know which I am at the office now and my bottle is at home, but so far so good. Cholesterol is normal, which constantly shocks my physician, my parents both have higher than normal and my fathers goes up from just looking at red meat. Sugars are always leaning towards concern but that is a long standing concern that my doctor always monitors. I will look into this Niacin treatment you recommend. Thanks for he advice and support. Have a great day.
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    Congrats to you on taking steps toward a heatthier future! And welcome to MFP!
  • Juliethomson
    Juliethomson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My 2nd day of eating properly and on this site. Love the accountablity this site provides :happy: