Getting concerned...

Options
So maybe this is just my own self playing havoc with me, and I'm hoping it's really nothing, but I'm getting really nervous about Saturday. I've signed up for the 5K at Gasparilla - a months long Pirate celebration here in the Tampa Bay area. (Yes, you read that right, "Pirates"...garrrrrr!)

I know running is a huge deal in Tampa, and so is Gasparilla, but when I realized that last year, over 11,000 people took part in the 5k, I started beginning to freak a little. I don't do well in crowds, and hate cities; country girl, through & through. I'm already beginning to feel a little "cramped"! lol Then, when I did my run yesterday, and my timing was slow...really slow!...and it was a tough time going, I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth it? I have been training, been doing speed training and cross training this time, have my goal set, but should I just scrub that goal and just show up & try to keep a spot in the sea of bodies?

This will be my 3rd event that I've gone to, and Ironically, my 1st event was the same route back in October, so I at least I have a decent idea of where I'm going. I'm planning on doing my complete rest day tomorrow, just a day of watching AFL on DVR (nothing like firing me up than watching fit Aussie men on the field!! GO Hawthorn!) Then an early day on Saturday.

I don't remember having this "mind game" with myself any other time. Is this normal? Any tips?

Replies

• lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would do anything to be in Tampa Bay Area on a run!!! No running here in the great white north!! So just remember even if you crawl to the finish line, it is better than running inside due to ice and snow:smile:
  • Garfy
    Garfy Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi

When I did my first 5k run I had a 'bad session' a few days prior & thought 'why am I doing this?'
    Prior to the actual race I had never managed to run the full 5k without stopping

On the day, I just keep myself towards the back of the pack & got going.
    I ended up running all the way for the first time & in my best time ever.

You will be fine, but yes take the time to rest tomorrow.

Good luck & post back on here after you've done it!
    Angie
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You have done 5K before in a race setting, so you know there are walkers, joggers, interval people...you a just psyching yourself out!
    Go, have fun! Take pics! Celebrate how healthy you are!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!! I've calmed down a bit..of course it doesn't help that I've gotten like 4-5 e-mails with information to remember for tomorrow! lol. Gonna sit down later & plan it all out.

Couldn't sleep last night (one of my "age induced insomnia nights"...grrr) was flipping around my sports channels, and I saw an ad where they are going to air the Tokyo Marathon & I saw the wild mass of runners & thought to myself "suck it up! You signed up for this, you got this. Just rely on your training, like all those other runners out there are going to!"

Now, it's just hoping this cold front coming through tonight & lingering tomorrow won't be too bad...not too worried about the rain, but I suffer migraines, and I've already had to take ibuprofen this am. Hope this headache doesn't progress...
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Wow what a day!! Lined up to cheer the 15K runners on - what a motley crew runners are - Pirates to Bananas running! Finally came time for my wave to line up, the Announcer let it be known there were 28,000 runners total!!!

Even though they said we were under "yellow flag" warnings, temp was ok, but the humidity was 90%, and slaloming my way through the walls of walkers & slower runners, I took 4 1 minute walk breaks, 1 was for water & the other because I was just running low, and I was STILL able to break my goal! Ran it in under 40 mins: 39:53!!!!

Oh....AND I got my picture taken with the Pimp Daddy Pirate!!
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! So glad you got over your nerves and had fun. I often get insomnia before a race. I fear not waking up to go! Lol