I think planks are worthless, tell me why they arent

Options
I just can't seem to get myself to want to do planks, i just don't see them being that great, despite their popularity. I'll admit i've never committed to them remotely for any time (and i'm considering doing it now, hence this post, just bc of my curiosity), but i just don't see the greatness in static exercise like that. I've tried it w\weights to make it more difficult but it still feels the same to me (plus it's mad boring).

When i do curls, i don't hold the dumbbell in one spot, when i do bench i don't hold the weight, i do full range movements that have a negative and a positive that i can add a large varying resistance to (I've done weighted planks w\a 45lb plate on my back, but adding much more than that is just pretty awkward and uncomfortable).

Someone tell me why i'm wrong...bc i'd like to know someone that has a really strong core that feels like this has attributed to it. For abs i do lots and lots of hanging leg raises, i do wipers, stuff like that which i feel has really attributed to my core strength. I haven't done a plank in 4 months and today i tried to see how long i could do (unfortunately i chose to do it on my chest day) and i got to 3 minutes and stopped, bc my chest was on fire from already being fatigued but my abs still felt pretty fresh....so this has only compounded my confusion as to why people think these are worth the time.

thanks

Replies

• OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Planks are useless for a man with your physique. Keep hanging and banging brother, that's what we are supposed to do in the Iron Dojo.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ This.
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How about planks as just one more "plank" in your "platform?" The more different things you do to keep your muscles confused and working harder, the stronger they get, right?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Planks only work with good form.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Planks only work with good form.

i'm not remotely worried about the quality of my form. i always pay attention to it when lifting, it's so important.
  • brdnw
    Options
    ^^^^^ This.

i really appreciate you two responding. I've lifted every day for the past 3 years and i read a fair bit and i'm not a personal trainer but i feel like through my experience i've learned alot through trial and error and i just couldn't wrap my head around why i didn't see the value.

thanks again.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I used to do planks. Weighted too.

Now I don't do any isolation exercises for abs.

I do squats, dead lift and chest press and add things around that, but nothing related to abs. I do believe I use abs doing some of those, I just don't do isolation exercises now.

I do think planks and such have a role. They may have a role for people that need an exceptionally strong core. Such as acrobats or martial arts fighters or commando's. If you just want to look good naked you can do without them.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Planks are a relatively easy exercise. If your doing compound barbell lifts hanging leg raises & wipers you are long past planks being effective. If you want some additional challenge work towards front & back levers and a planche hold. You won't get bored with those anytime soon. But doing what you already do, you don't really need to take it farther if u don't want to
  • CocoLaMocha
    Options
    I used to do planks. Weighted too.

Now I don't do any isolation exercises for abs.

I do squats, dead lift and chest press and add things around that, but nothing related to abs. I do believe I use abs doing some of those, I just don't do isolation exercises now.

I do think planks and such have a role. They may have a role for people that need an exceptionally strong core. Such as acrobats or martial arts fighters or commando's. If you just want to look good naked you can do without them.

^^^ exactly this. I gave up on abs day 3 weeks ago. I consider my leg day abs day because all my workouts require me to use/focus on my core muscles. Little my little, I can see some definition forming.
  • brdnw
    Options
    sorry, not doing abs at all is silly.

and to the other guy, that's exactly what i'm trying to work up to, i been trying to work my obliques really hard because i want to do a human flag, but i imagine it will take quite a bit of effort to get there.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I stopped doing planks a couple months ago, I felt that, at first, I find in beneficial. Now, I just don't feel it the same effects. Started doing L-sits in different forms (hanging, from the floor, and with calisthenic bars). Its been working great.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Google bret Contreras RKC plank. That is a good advanced version. For anyone that can do a plank for more than a minute, I suggest the RKC version. It's like the mind muscle connection thing but for your whole body.

(and yep, I do other core exercises also mainly because I CBF loading up plates for planks and it's easier to just do other stuff. I love hanging leg raises and front levers personally)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm just popping in to say your transformation is amazing. hubba hubba :wink:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    sorry, not doing abs at all is silly.

He's doing abs, quite a bit. Just not in isolation.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The rkc plank is fuggin challenging.
    I dont do regular plank anymore much, sometimes in between other stuff for a laugh. 3 mins is easy.

I dont do much ab work at all to be honest...but I do ALOT of squatting...paused squats wreck my abs. Haha
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If you're doing hanging leg raises and wipers then add hanging pikes and skip the planks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Planks are useless for a man with your physique. Keep hanging and banging brother, that's what we are supposed to do in the Iron Dojo.

this, if you can hold it for 3 mins, you're good...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    ,i been trying to work my obliques really hard because i want to do a human flag, but i imagine it will take quite a bit of effort to get there.

Is that your primary goal when it comes to training your abs - to facilitate executing the human flag move?

If so planks will help as they work your abs isometrically - pretty much what you need in that movement.

That said, specificity is always going to be your best weapon here. If you want to be better at doing the human flag then spend a lot of time just doing it and your relevant muscles (including abs) will get worked automatically. Stuff like planks will be just icing on the cake. You get what you specifically train for...
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you do planks, it is unecessary to do them for more than 1-2 minutes. People get so caught up in monthly plank challenges where they build up to 5+ minute planks... anything more than a minute or two is too much repetition for your core. It becomes pointless in a way.