what can you use besides salad dressing on salads?

Options
would like to know what you use on my salads .besides salad dressing that full of fat
thank you

Replies

• sincereme
    Options
    I've used Lemon, Olive Oil, vinegar. Ive also made my own salad dressing with greek yogurt!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I really like slivered almonds & salad pizzazz. Threw some mozzarella pearls on my salad today for protein. I don't need no stinkin' dressing!
  • Bonnie555
    Options
    I have a cucumber salad where I only add lime juice and even the junk food eaters like it:)
  • jamie11k
    Options
    I like a glob of cottage cheese and if I want more flavor, it only takes a dab of dressing because it already has a nice creamy coating!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I use salsa!!! very yummy
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I make my own with a base of fat free mayo and rice wine vinegar...very, very low calorie and satisfies the "ranch" dressing craving to some extent. I think it usually amounts to about 10 calories per serving...maybe 20 if you use 2 TBS fat free mayo.
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like Pepperoncinis, feta cheese, and maybe some olive oil and vinegar
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Seasoned rice vineger! YUM!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing spritzers!
  • shintowa
    Options
    I also use salsa. Sometimes I just add things like beans, hard boiled eggs, and cheese. If you make a salad interesting enough, it doesn't even need dressing.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use just straight balsamic vinegar. You have to be careful not to over due. But now that I do it this way, I'm not sure what the olive oil was for. I only ever wanted the tangy of the vinegar anyway.

If I want something creamy, I just crush my avocado and use it as a dressing all by it's self.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I use plain vinegar (balsamic or red wine), or occasionally a vinegar and olive oil mix. Some people don't like the taste of plain vinegar, though, so it depends on your taste buds. Something I want to try is a mix of yogurt and tahini (I made my own tahini recently) - it won't be super low in calories since the tahini is made of sesame seeds and olive oil, but if you use it sparingly it will probably still be better than a lot of the dressings out there!
  • rosef17
    Options
    Lemon juice or fat free dressings, I also put the dressing on the side and dunk the salad into the dressing use way less that way and definitely ask for the dressing on the side if I go to a restaurant
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil, vinegar and Mrs. Dash Seasonings. The Zesty Lime tastes wonderful with Veggies and salad
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I also use salsa. Sometimes I just add things like beans, hard boiled eggs, and cheese. If you make a salad interesting enough, it doesn't even need dressing.

I've discovered this, too. The less processed food I eat, the more I like the taste of raw veggies all by themselves. I don't use dressing (or a dressing alternative) too often these days. I like adding meat/protein, beans, eggs, seeds, etc. to salads. Yum!!
  • JoyJulRay
    JoyJulRay Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use *Great Value - Southwest Spicy Sweet, Hot Mustard and flavored vinegar..I think its like 10 cals per tablespoon
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    those are all good. thank you
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    But now that I do it this way, I'm not sure what the olive oil was for.

Eating a bit of fat with green veggies helps your body absorb the oil soluble vitamins and minerals (which in turn means you get more out of it).

Edit: Oops, almost forgot. Balsamic vinegar is one of my favorites too. And of course a good grind or five of pepper.
  • lizzys
    Options
    I've used Lemon, Olive Oil, vinegar. Ive also made my own salad dressing with greek yogurt!
    post your greek yogurt recipe it sounds yummy would like to try it
  • lizzys
    Options
    I use *Great Value - Southwest Spicy Sweet, Hot Mustard and flavored vinegar..I think its like 10 cals per tablespoon
    sweet spicy mustard sounds real good