Help with my diary

Options
I eat boiled chicken breast for dinner often. I recently bought a food scale and now I have a dilemma.

The chicken starts at around 10 ounces before I cook it but after boiling it, it is now 6.3 ounces.

What weight do I count? I looked in the food diary for generic boiled chicken and the calorie count per ounce was the same as uncooked.

Replies

• PurpleDragon87
    PurpleDragon87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you want people to look at your diary, you should make it public.

As far as the chicken is concerned, I personally only weigh it raw and use that amount, but some people weigh it cooked. I can't say for sure which one would be more accurate however I have found only a slight variation between raw and cooked (sauteed, or baked).
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    What weight do I count? I looked in the food diary for generic boiled chicken and the calorie count per ounce was the same as uncooked.
    there are entries in there for cooked chicken. "chicken - breast meat - cooked" or something
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you want people to look at your diary, you should make it public.

As far as the chicken is concerned, I personally only weigh it raw and use that amount, but some people weigh it cooked. I can't say for sure which one would be more accurate however I have found only a slight variation between raw and cooked (sauteed, or baked).

The subject is help with diary because the chicken goes in my diary. No part of my question really requires anyone to actually look at my diary.

I have also found only a slight variation between raw and cooked. However, there is a huge variation between the weight when raw and the weight when boiled.
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    there are entries in there for cooked chicken. "chicken - breast meat - cooked" or something

There is an entry specifically for boiled as well but it matches uncooked. I'll check the simple "cooked" option and see how different it is. However, my issue is not with the entry but with the weight.

10 ounce vs 6.3 ounce. Huge difference no matter how I enter the chicken. So what weight do I use?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

There is an entry specifically for boiled as well but it matches uncooked. I'll check the simple "cooked" option and see how different it is. However, my issue is not with the entry but with the weight.

10 ounce vs 6.3 ounce. Huge difference no matter how I enter the chicken. So what weight do I use?

well, it depends. If you're using the cooked entry, use the cooked weight.
  • MissCherrySwirl
    Options
    I always put in the raw version of any meat. I think if you are consistent with this then it should be OK. My own opinion though.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You could enter "chicken breast, raw" using the 10 oz weight. Keep in mind that any item with a * beside is entered in by other users and can be entered incorrectly. I prefer to find items without the star, or ones with the nutritional information which I can confirm from packaging. When all else fails, I tend to choose the higher calorie count. I hope that is helpful.
  • eyecandyrayce
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I'm going to go with raw to be safe.