Calories burned

Options
I used the stationary bike and the treadmill at the gym but I am wondering if I am really burning as many calories on these machines as they say I am. I am only asking because when I try to put the information in on MFP the numbers are higher by almost 300-400 calories compared to the number I get on the machines at the gym. Which number would be more accurate?

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Do the machines have a HR monitor on them? If so, I would say the machines.

MFP can only guesstimate.

You should purchase a HRM if you are wanting more accuracy & the machines dont have one.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Don't ever go by MFP!
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think the treadmills and elliptical typically show your burning more calories than you really are. I have a body media and it shows I burn less than what you would think but then again, it doesn't have a HRM either. I do alot of HIIT training and I don't think it takes into consideration how the heart rate goes. I've decided to order a Polar Ft4 today. If you really want an accurate read, I think you need something with a heart rate monitor.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Calorie burns depend upon height, weight, age, gender, exertion level & more (hormones, muscle mass, etc).

What type of info does the machine have? The more info you put in....the more accurate. Many machines default to "male" ....but that works in your favor.

HRMs are designed for steady state cardio - HRMs with a chest strap measure your heart rate (constantly) and compare it to your resting heart rate......that "approxiamates" your exertion level. HRMs are your best estimate for steady state cardio.