Numb feet during Spin class?

Options
I searched the forums & didn't see this topic mentioned in the first few pages.

I took Spin tonight for the first time in years. My feet kept doing numb, but in a painful way if that makes sense, from the sole to my toes. It was really only an issue when standing. I wasn't sure if it was b/c I was wearing my running shoes.

Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Keep your heels below your toes
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Can you explain why ??
  • Dalker
    Dalker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have found if I use the cycle or elliptical machines in running shoes my feet go numb. My friend who is a personal trainer said it was because the shoes are too soft soled. Don't know the truth of this but you may want to look at getting some different shoes.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Were you using toe straps at all and how confident are you that your sports shoes fit well and were laced properly (so not under or over tightened?)
  • SoftHeat
    Options
    Were you using toe straps at all and how confident are you that your sports shoes fit well and were laced properly (so not under or over tightened?)

I did use the toe straps & I got off the bike a to adjust my laces to make sure they weren't too tight. I was wearing Mizunos that have a really flexible sole, so maybe I should try a stiffer shoe.
  • SoftHeat
    Options

This could be it. I was trying to make sure I was pushing down w/ my heels, but halfway through the class I started sucking so bad that I'm sure my form was shot.

ETA: Thanks for the suggestions!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have this type of problem on the elliptical too.
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Too soft of a shoe and heel high form will contribute to this. Use a stiffer soled shoe or invest in some spin (or cycling) shoes with clips (if your spin bike accommodates clips). All of that concentrated pressure on the ball of your foot can make your foot go numb. Cycling shoes have rigid soles..not great for for walking, but perfect on a bike. Good luck..
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Can you explain why ??

Yes, do explain why, particularly during sprints, when a heel up position is more mechanically efficient. If anything else, it makes sense to tell some newb to pedalling to keep their heels in line with their toes. Particularly when telling them heel lower than toes will invite setup and position problems, robbing efficiency and inviting undue knee strain during high gear efforts....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have found if I use the cycle or elliptical machines in running shoes my feet go numb. My friend who is a personal trainer said it was because the shoes are too soft soled. Don't know the truth of this but you may want to look at getting some different shoes.

I tend to have foot numbing if I use my running shoes, which is why I use my cycling shoes which are essentially carbon fiber with a leather upper. No twist, torsion, or flex. No foot issues. The stiffer the sole, the better.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Make sure that the line of the ball of your feet is directly in line with the middle of the pedal (right where the metatarsal bones meet the phlanges) This is easier if you have spinning shoes with SPD clips.

Heels below the toes isn't *really* right. You should not be "pedaling squares" which means you lift up then stomp down. You want to pedal in nice smooth circles. http://www.bike198.com/how-to-clean-up-your-pedal-stroke-and-increase-efficiency/

Also, there is a nerve that runs down the top of your foot and if your shoes are too tightly laced or fastened, it pinches that nerve and causes toe numbness.

If you are still getting numbness and are using spinning specific shoes, then you may look into getting an orthotic for your spin shoes. I have to use inserts because I get "hot spots". These are what I use: http://www.specialized.com/is/en/ftr/shoes/equipsparepartsshoes/footbedbghighperformance I use the blue.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump for later, have same problem
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Make sure that the line of the ball of your feet is directly in line with the middle of the pedal (right where the metatarsal bones meet the phlanges) This is easier if you have spinning shoes with SPD clips.

Heels below the toes isn't *really* right. You should not be "pedaling squares" which means you lift up then stomp down. You want to pedal in nice smooth circles. http://www.bike198.com/how-to-clean-up-your-pedal-stroke-and-increase-efficiency/

Also, there is a nerve that runs down the top of your foot and if your shoes are too tightly laced or fastened, it pinches that nerve and causes toe numbness.

If you are still getting numbness and are using spinning specific shoes, then you may look into getting an orthotic for your spin shoes. I have to use inserts because I get "hot spots". These are what I use: http://www.specialized.com/is/en/ftr/shoes/equipsparepartsshoes/footbedbghighperformance I use the blue.

Best advice in this thread.
  • FitChick9106
    Options
    I am a spin instructor at the YMCA and this is actually a pretty common problem I hear from people, I have the same problem. I have to wear a spin shoe with a hard bottom or my toes will go numb. Also the whole toes to knee placement should have been properly adjusted by your instructor when they set you up on the bike, but that is mostly a problem on hurting knees and ackles not really a numbness.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Foot numbness is usually the result of the nerves in the foot getting compressed somehow.

First, make sure your shoes are not too tight and have adequate foot/toe space.
    Also consider wearing shoes that have good foot support and have a more rigid sole (i.e., avoid flexy minimalist shoes). It's possible that your foot is flexing around the pedal on each stroke. Cyclists wear very rigid shoes (often reinforced at the ball of the foot).
    Every so often, try to wiggle your toes in your shoes to alleviate pressure and improve circulation.
    Next, try to keep your foot as level as possible throughout the pedal stroke (it's natural for the heel to rise and fall a little through the rotation). You don't have to keep the "heel down" - you just want to avoid the dreaded "toe pedalling" (think ballerina). Too much pressure on the ball of the foot may cause pain/numbness.
    Next, have the instructor check your overall bike setup. The saddle height, the saddle position (fore/aft) and your handlebar height and position (fore/aft) all affect your posture.
    Every so often, move your body around on the bike (slide forward, slide back, pop up out of the saddle). This could help with overall nerve compression.
    Just some thoughts from a die hard cyclist... Hope that helps.

Edited to add: And yes! If you are really into spinning, consider getting cycling shoes. You will want shoes that are "Shimano SPD compatible" (most cycling shoes are). First you buy the shoes, and then attach SPD cleats (sometimes they come with the shoes, but usually not). Cycling shoes will help you with power transfer to the pedals and may help improve your overall form and efficiency! And then you may wanna just take it outside someday... :bigsmile:
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jjking54 wrote: »

Best advice in this thread.
    Will check this out, I have the same problem
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

chelso0o wrote: »

This. Cycling with uneven foot position gives uneven straining and a staggered motion. This is NOT recommended for cycling at high RPM. You actually lose force doing that at high RPM.
    Ty @chelso0o for sound advice and interesting input on soles and whatnot :)
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I saw this, I've had this for years but only ever on elliptical machines. Numerous different machines and shoes - pleased to finally realise it's not just me! I've always assumed I tie my shoes too tight.