Red letters... Numbers more like

Options
I find it interesting that if you go over your calorie goal the numbers turn red. However if you are under your calorie goal (but are still netting positive) your calories are green.
Yes I know to gain weight and not see that red, set your limit higher. However it is more convenient for some people to have it directly displayed, how much they are over.
That fact aside, I do think it is quite interesting that 100cal over sets off alarm bells in my head just because of the colour and I am tricked into thinking that 100 cals under is a better option.
Thoughts? I believe it has been scientifically shown that (esp in education) the colour red being used has an actual effect on mental processes upon associating it with something.

Replies

• JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was over today & that red startled me! LOL
  • kmac0001
    kmac0001 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I somehow managed to come out at "0" one day, and it was red!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was 25 over today. I see the red and feel like a kid who has failed a spelling test.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am red / green colour blind, so whenever I go over my calories it feels like I am doing well
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I wish that the red/green would adjust according to where you set your goals - so if your goal was weight loss it went red when over, and if your goal was weight gain it went red when under :-(
  • themorethebetter
    Options
    Exactly, I feel the same as you guys!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What I hate with a passion is when I go over my micronutrient goals and it bleeds red AND pops a minus sign in front of the number.

If I'm over on calcium and iron, isn't that a good thing? Shouldn't I get a cookie instead, or at least a gold star? Why can't they turn it blue or something?
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    What I'd like to see if a differentiation between a positive goal and a negative goal. . so if you go over on your sodium, sure. . show it in red. . but if you are UNDER your protein. . THAT's when it should be red.. get it?. . it seems silly that if I set a goal for, say, potassium and go over it it shows up in red. .
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    What I hate with a passion is when I go over my micronutrient goals and it bleeds red AND pops a minus sign in front of the number.

If I'm over on calcium and iron, isn't that a good thing? Shouldn't I get a cookie instead, or at least a gold star? Why can't they turn it blue or something?

^^^ THIS!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    What I'd like to see if a differentiation between a positive goal and a negative goal. . so if you go over on your sodium, sure. . show it in red. . but if you are UNDER your protein. . THAT's when it should be red.. get it?. . it seems silly that if I set a goal for, say, potassium and go over it it shows up in red. .

Agreed. I always find it odd that it puts the protein in red for going over. It's not appropriate at all. The protein goal is really low on here to begin with. Same with the other "good" macros... fiber, potassium, etc. MFP will have it together some day....lol
  • I hear you, I decided when I first started using this tracker that I would track EXACTLY what I eat and drink. I have seen red letters about five or six times in the past 45 days. It keeps me honest and makes me adjust my workouts on those high calorie days. I have my daily calories set at 1200, some days I am under slightly some I am over, even so, I am doing a lot better than I was. I had no idea how much food I was actually eating until I started tracking.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I really wish we had a red/yellow/green system.

Green = more than 10% under goal, yellow = +/- 10%, red = more than 10% over.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

this
  • measem1
    measem1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree some nutrients its good to be over Of course make sure not over in sodium...
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this same thing! It's very rare that I can hit my exact calorie amount dead on. If I'm 5 calories over, why shame me for it? lol
  • SouthernMommy11
    Options
    And it stays green even if you get notified you need to eat more! Under eating should be red too!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    These are all good ideas! How about posting them in the MFP suggestions board?

I think it does make under 1200 calories net red, actually-- I've had that happen a couple times when I was sick or something.

It does seem like with today's software tools, it would be pretty easy to adjust what turns red/green/other colors when, depending on someone's goals.
  • ef21178
    ef21178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was 25 over today. I see the red and feel like a kid who has failed a spelling test.

LOL! So true!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options

I think it does make under 1200 calories net red, actually-- I've had that happen a couple times when I was sick or something.

It hasn't done that with me, and I actually netted zero one day recently! (I've had the flu and it's been hard to drink water, even.) I wonder what's different between your settings and mine -- yours sound like they produce a much saner result.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

this

Have to disagree. Your calorie target should be set reasonably, right? So you don't want people to be encouraged to under eat. Why not red = more than 10% over or under, yellow = 5-10% over or under, green = 0-5% over or under. Or something similar - I'm not that passionate about exactly what percentages should be used.

Hmmm. Maybe the percentages for those ranges should be user-set as well. Our choice how strict we want to be, right?