NO starch, no sugar, no results! HELP!

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    That's crazy! Have you tried being gluten and processed grain free? That sounds like a lot of vegetables to help you with any inflammation problems you might have. Don't eat 'diet' foods. They're horrible for inflammation. I love the Atkins bars and Diet Mountain Dew and sugar free Russell Stover's chocolates! But when I eat them, I see NOOOOO results. Just steady weight, with no loss. Okay, I realize that may not be anything you're doing. Just trying to think of anything that could possibly help. Oh, and I mentioned gluten and processed grains, because I have to give those up in order to lose weight. My body just can't handle them. It loves them so much it wants to keep them all forever in a nice cushy padding across my mid section. They also cause my intestines to become inflamed and swollen.

Start putting fresh lemon or lime juice in your water, if you don't already. And drink one glass with some organic apple cider each day.

So...because you are gluten/processed grain intolerant and had to give them up...you think that we all should?

I drink between 12 to 16 glasses of water a day...if I put lemon or lime in them I would drink...zero.

I think that we forget on this site that our weight loss is an individual journey...we can cross paths...walk a ways together but in the end we have to continue down our own individual path.

After reading just one post from a total stranger...how can we suddenly be able to tell them how to do it? Yes...there are proven standards such as burn more than you eat...but much of what we read here is unique to us as individuals.

I don't know...I have worked hard to find what works for me as an individual...I don't expect others to follow suit.

It would be like me telling you not to eat cottage cheese...it makes ME throw up.

Sorry for the rant...I just read post after post of people telling complete strangers...do this...don't do that...eat this...don't eat that...all simply because they themselves have CHOSEN to give up or not do certain things.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    average of 1lb per week = no results?

I suggest changing your expectations.

This.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    That's crazy! Have you tried being gluten and processed grain free? That sounds like a lot of vegetables to help you with any inflammation problems you might have. Don't eat 'diet' foods. They're horrible for inflammation. I love the Atkins bars and Diet Mountain Dew and sugar free Russell Stover's chocolates! But when I eat them, I see NOOOOO results. Just steady weight, with no loss. Okay, I realize that may not be anything you're doing. Just trying to think of anything that could possibly help. Oh, and I mentioned gluten and processed grains, because I have to give those up in order to lose weight. My body just can't handle them. It loves them so much it wants to keep them all forever in a nice cushy padding across my mid section. They also cause my intestines to become inflamed and swollen.

Start putting fresh lemon or lime juice in your water, if you don't already. And drink one glass with some organic apple cider each day.

Unless OP has a gluten intolerance there's no reason to give up gluten.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You've lost - congrats!!! If you lose it too fast, you'll gain it back faster. One pound a week is plenty. As others have said, stop being so hard on yourself and adjust your expectations.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    to everyone giving advice to the OP …did you even read the part of her origin post where she is LOSING a pound per week …LOL …

wow - a lot of advice here on how to break a plateau that is nonexistent….

Yep...I agree...in a few short words from the OP...all of a sudden...people have all the answers.

sigh
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This thread is amazing.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    If I had no starch and no sugar... I'd be no happy.

OP... If you do only have 25 left to lose, then a 1lb/week average loss is fantastic! It took me three years of hard work and tweaking my diet to lose the last 20!

Congratulations on your success!
  • Annie_01
    Options
    This thread is amazing.

I always like to start my day off with..."AMAZING"!
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    just keep trying
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    average of 1lb per week = no results?

I suggest changing your expectations.

I stopped reading the board at this post. Exactly this. 3lbs lost in 3 weeks is completely average and healthy weight loss.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Here is an excerpt from Chris Kressers' article on toxicity:

Article Title: Cereal grains: the unhealthiest “health food” on the planet?
    "The major cereal grains – wheat, corn, rice, barley, sorghum, oats, rye and millet – have become the staple crops of the modern human diet. They’ve also become the “poster children” of the low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet promoted by organizations like the American Heart Association (AHA) and American Diabetes Association (ADA). If you say the phrase “whole grains” to most people, the first word that probably comes to their mind is “healthy”.

But the fact is that most animals, including our closest relative (the chimpanzee) aren’t adapted to eating cereal grains and don’t eat them in large quantities. And humans have only been eating them for the past 10,000 years (a tiny blip of time on the scale of evolution). Why?

Because plants like cereal grains are always competing against predators (like us) for survival. Unlike animals, plants can’t run away from us when we decide to eat them. They had to evolve other mechanisms for protecting themselves. These include:
    producing toxins that damage the lining of the gut;
    producing toxins that bind essential minerals, making them unavailable to the body; and,
    producing toxins that inhibit digestion and absorption of other essential nutrients, including protein.

One of these toxic compounds is the protein gluten, which is present in wheat and many of the other most commonly eaten cereal grains. In short, gluten damages the intestine and makes it leaky. And researchers now believe that a leaky gut is one of the major predisposing factors for conditions like obesity, diabetes and autoimmune disease."

Hopefully your journey involves being open, learning something new then researching to figure out if it's right for you.
    Namaste
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Because all plants on the planetare always competing against predators (like us) for survival.

FTFY.

In reality there aren't that many plants we eat that are specifically adapted to being eaten. The list includes mostly fruits, which have adapted to being eaten by animals in order to disperse seeds.

Most plants that we eat have adaptations to prevent us from eating them. Bitterness, poison, etc. The crops that we do cultivate and consume have been heavily bred to the point that they barely resemble their pre-domestication ancestors, and many of them need to be cooked or prepared in some fashion to even be palatable. There's a reason kale is bitter, for instance.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Here is an excerpt from Chris Kressers' article on toxicity:

Article Title: Cereal grains: the unhealthiest “health food” on the planet?
    "The major cereal grains – wheat, corn, rice, barley, sorghum, oats, rye and millet – have become the staple crops of the modern human diet. They’ve also become the “poster children” of the low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet promoted by organizations like the American Heart Association (AHA) and American Diabetes Association (ADA). If you say the phrase “whole grains” to most people, the first word that probably comes to their mind is “healthy”.

But the fact is that most animals, including our closest relative (the chimpanzee) aren’t adapted to eating cereal grains and don’t eat them in large quantities. And humans have only been eating them for the past 10,000 years (a tiny blip of time on the scale of evolution). Why?

Because plants like cereal grains are always competing against predators (like us) for survival. Unlike animals, plants can’t run away from us when we decide to eat them. They had to evolve other mechanisms for protecting themselves. These include:
    producing toxins that damage the lining of the gut;
    producing toxins that bind essential minerals, making them unavailable to the body; and,
    producing toxins that inhibit digestion and absorption of other essential nutrients, including protein.

One of these toxic compounds is the protein gluten, which is present in wheat and many of the other most commonly eaten cereal grains. In short, gluten damages the intestine and makes it leaky. And researchers now believe that a leaky gut is one of the major predisposing factors for conditions like obesity, diabetes and autoimmune disease."

Hopefully your journey involves being open, learning something new then researching to figure out if it's right for you.
    Namaste

My journey involves believing in science. Chris Kresser is a quack, imo.

Also I have done a gluten free diet, because I wanted to see if there would be any benefit to my chronic illnesses. There wasn't.
  • boobear7
    boobear7 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing awesome, just wanted to add that cardio alone doesn't work for me, my body likes some weight training mixed in....maybe add a couple days of weight training and see if that will help at all. Good luck!!!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'd like to thank the producers of The Biggest Loser for making this thread - and others like it - proliferate.
  • juliegirl2002
    juliegirl2002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you, repliers. Start was 182, goal 135 but will be satisfied with 140. I did four weeks calorie counting with this tool, and with exercise stayed At 1200 net calories. I was not getting the estimated 1.8 lb weekly loss I hoped so transitioned to low carb to see if that would help. Thanks for the encouragement and to know 1 lb is both realistic. And (perhaps) healthier. I have a history of alcoholism so that may be playing a part, too. I'll keep at it. Thanks again.
  • Espressogal10
    Options
    She asked for advice and we all give advice based on what has worked for us. I'm amazed at how defensive and irrate people become when you mention going off of grains. It was only a suggestion for someone seeking answers.

Anyway, someone asked me how I know my intestines were swollen and inflamed:

I go from having a flat stomach to a pregnant looking one every time I start eating wheat gluten, corn and other processed grain flours. My body just doesn't tolerate them well. It usually takes a few days of going off of them for it to go back down to normal size again. The longer I eat it, the worse it becomes. I also begin having frequent stomach pains, discomfort, heartburn and begin to feel arthritic, have bad circulation and suffer from heart palpitations and dizzy spells when I'm eating a consistent processed-grain-filled diet. I've tested negative for celiacs disease, but believe I have an intolerance to grain glutens or perhaps carb overload. The exhaustion that just won't shake itself off of me, is something that I just can't live with. So I ignore the doctor who's only seen me once, got a negative test result and doesn't care to listen to me or investigate further. I do what my body needs me to do. I do consume grains sometimes, but when I do, I try to eat only the actual wheat berries that I've cooked myself. Feel free to look at my blog www.poshglutenfreelife.blogspot.com I've been paying close attention to my body's reaction to processed grains for the last six years and can't deny that it has a bad effect on me.

160 oz. Juliegirl, is that the right amount of water for your weight? It is possible to give yourself a chemical imbalance with too much water. Just a thought: Water intoxication: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I go from having a flat stomach to a pregnant looking one every time I start eating wheat gluten, corn and other processed grain flours. My body just doesn't tolerate them well. It usually takes a few days of going off of them for it to go back down to normal size again. The longer I eat it, the worse it becomes. I also begin having frequent stomach pains, discomfort,

just excerpted a piece from EspressoGal's post... these sorts of symptoms happen to me when I have dairy (milk in particular). Cheese not so much.

It's because I have an intolerance toward dairy. But just because I have this reaction, doesn't mean that others should stop consuming dairy. And even if they share similar symptoms, without analyzing their diet, I cannot say that because we have the same symptoms, the same cure would work.

Funny enough, the same thing happens when I have an Iced Cappuccino.. and some types of coffees. Gassy, bloated, unhappy body. I don't know if that means the intestines are inflamed, or swollen... or just chalk full of gas and, sorry for the tmi, diarrhea.

It never hurts to share our experiences, but we need to be sure that when advising people we are clear in reminding that personal experience does not equal fact.
  • Espressogal10
    Options
    I've tried dairy free too. That was one of the things I tried. It's very difficult to be 100% dairy free, but I did achieve it and found that for me, processed grains were causing the problems.

This forum states that no ones opinion should be taken as professional medical advice. There's really no need to remind everyone of that. I'm kind of confused. Is this how posting on these forums always goes? People think you're stating the LAW for sharing what's worked for you, and have to attack back at you for having the nerve to offer your advice and help. The post title says "HELP!" Why not offer help?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    She asked for advice and we all give advice based on what has worked for us. I'm amazed at how defensive and irrate people become when you mention going off of grains. It was only a suggestion for someone seeking answers.

If OP had mentioned that she had a grain/gluten sensitivity issue then it would of been a legit answer; however, her only concern was about a plateau, which was really nonexistent...