Protien

Options
I have been hearing alot lately that alot of protien is the best way to burn fat and keep muscles, how much should one have, cause i read with my weight it should be 170 grams, and besides meat and nuts what are other good way of getting that much, I AM up to try anything!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mangoose
    Options
    I've read that it's 1g of protein for every pound you weigh as a very general rule of thumb, but that sounds like alot to me!

Get on the protein shakes after your weights. Also, eggs and seafood (tuna, prawns etc) have TONS of protein in
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1 gram per kilogram is ideal for most people (unless you are a serious bodybuilder or extreme endurance athlete).
    0.6 grams per kilogram is better for people who workout less than an hour per day.
    (this info is from a fitness nutrition course I took through human kinetics online courses.)
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Eggs, peanut butter, throw a Tb of protein powder in your yougurt for a snack, shrimp, fish, beans, soy, protein bars, smoothies (watch the sugar) all good and yummy. And as to how much I think your estimate is wayyyyy off. Average is .8g per Kilogram not pound so that only equals .36g/lb so closer to 65-70 grams per day. Good luck and happy protein hunting.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Greek yogurt...I don't think any one has mentioned that yet. I like Fage and Chiobani -- very little sugar in those but 19 - 23g protein per serving (depending on the fat % you get).
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing alot lately that alot of protien is the best way to burn fat and keep muscles, how much should one have, cause i read with my weight it should be 170 grams, and besides meat and nuts what are other good way of getting that much, I AM up to try anything!!! :flowerforyou:

The best way to burn fat and maintain muscle is to have your nutrition on point and work hard in the gym. Your over all calories from all your macronutrients are a factor.(healthy carbohydrates/Healthy fats/Protein) Not just alot of protein.. And all your macronutrients are important to your goals of dropping bf/maintaining muscle mass/keep energy levels up to improve performence.

Greek yogurt/cottage cheese/Eggs or egg whites/Whey protein/Protein bar/
  • zcostilla
    zcostilla Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A couple calrifications...proteins don't burn fat, having a high metabolism while limiting your fat intake and maintain a calorie deficit will burn fat. The bigger the deficit, and the higher the metabolism, the quicker the fat burns off. Targeting specific muscle groups does not target the fat in that area, but it does boost the metabolism overall and keep you body in a proper muscular balance (I made the mistake of focusing on my chest and neglecting my back, and I'm still paying for it 5 years later).

Now on to protein. You should take protein immediately following your workout. If you're lifting weights, stay close to 1g per pound, unless you're doing bodybuilding or powerlifting. Ideally, it whould be a protein designed for rapid assilimilation (i.e. whey isolate) for maximum effect, but even a modest source of protein will minimize muscle soreness and help add mass. Also, if your target is mass, add a slight natural sugar, maybe a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (or a piece of sweet fruit) to your protein (AVOID CORN SYRUP!) to cause an insulin increase for better gains because it send the muscle into rebuild mode. If you're lifting for tone or only doing cardio to lose weight, you can skip the sugar because the insulin will cause the muscle to change modes, and you'll still be at a higher metabolic rate longer without it.

Lastly, take another high protein/low carbohydrate meal, or meal replacement shake later in the day. Ideally, it should be a longer-chain protein or protein mix, because you want it to take a little longer to digest. If you don't want to take a shake, try a tuna and black bean salad, a salmon patty, a grilled (NOT FRIED) chicken breast, or something along those lines. This way you have protein in your system when you sleep and maximize the natural rebuilding/growth process.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I would like to chime in and add that a high protein diet will get you nowhere if you don't pay attention to your fat intake too. Great sources of low-fat high protein are turkey and chicken breasts, Kashi cereal, egg whites, white fish, oatmeal (really), fat-free dairy, beans of any variety. Boosting your fiber is a good idea too, as high-protein and low-fat isn't very filling on it's own.
  • zcostilla
    zcostilla Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great point ArchyJill!