Alcohol

Options
If I am under my kilojoule/ calorie count for the day, is it OK to have a wine? It seems like all calories are not created equal and there are suggestions that calories from alcohol make a difference to weight loss. Anybody know the truth?

Replies

• jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's a little bit complicated and I've learned that we are all not created equal when it comes to metabolism, weight loss, weight gain, and your question alcohol. The best way I can explain the booze scenario is that when you drink alcohol you're essentially giving your metabolism a "time-out" from burning food calories and/or body fat. Your body is designed to protect you and because alcohol is a poison to the body the metabolism will halt tradition duties to metabolize the alcohol first. So to answer your question...it's complicated. But if you're extremely interested in reaching your goal as fast as possible you can ditch the booze. If you're OK with the scenic route and still want to enjoy the fruits of life just do it in moderation. Some nutritionist I've spoken with suggest padding 3 days minimum between days you consume alcohol. Either way there are many ways to get from point A to point B so it's really up to you and there isn't a right or wrong. Hopefully this makes sense...Good Luck!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    All calories are equal, be it from wine, doughnuts, apples, steak or a lump of coal

What is different is the nutritional value, more nutrition from an apple than a lump of coal for instance

Basically better nutrition calories are ideal, but wine is fine providing you include the calories in your log and do not assume somehow those calories are better, or worse, than any other
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If I am under my kilojoule/ calorie count for the day, is it OK to have a wine? It seems like all calories are not created equal and there are suggestions that calories from alcohol make a difference to weight loss. Anybody know the truth?

Alcohol and weight loss - ah, a conundrum.

So, here's some science - fat metabolism is the job of your liver. Your liver takes stored fat and converts it to glucose so that your body can use it for fuel. Your liver has another job though - filtering toxins out of your body. Alcohol is a toxin. It is, to put it bluntly, poison. Intoxication is caused by mild poisoning. When you drink alcohol your liver has to work to filter it out of your blood so you don't get ill or die. While your liver is busy filtering alcohol out of the blood it is not metabolizing fat, so drinking during a weight loss program will slow the process down.

Secondly, the 7 calories per gram of alcohol contain no nutritive value. They are truly empty calories. They are not equivalent to calories from protein, fat or other carbohydrates.

Thirdly, consumption of alcohol tends to be accompanied by a rather more relaxed attitude towards other less than ideal foods. I know, for instance, that I never crave hot wings unless I'm drinking.

Fourthly, alcohol disrupts other metabolic processes, imbalances your hormones and can lead to other health problems.

If you're trying to maximize your health and fitness, drinking should either be eliminated or minimized. If you're comfortable with gradual weight loss and gradual fitness improvement, moderate drinking probably won't hurt you much, and if it helps you to relax and shed stress, it might even be beneficial.

-Tex
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Having a drink while remaining under my calories has worked for me. Everything in moderation even alcohol in my view but everyone's take on drinking will be different

There is even a school of thought that says a small amount of wine daily may even be beneficial to your health

At the end of the day you need to do what is sustainable for you and remember that gradual weight loss is healthy too
  • fbloise
    Options

So, here's some science - fat metabolism is the job of your liver. Your liver takes stored fat and converts it to glucose so that your body can use it for fuel. Your liver has another job though - filtering toxins out of your body. Alcohol is a toxin. It is, to put it bluntly, poison. Intoxication is caused by mild poisoning. When you drink alcohol your liver has to work to filter it out of your blood so you don't get ill or die. While your liver is busy filtering alcohol out of the blood it is not metabolizing fat, so drinking during a weight loss program will slow the process down.

Secondly, the 7 calories per gram of alcohol contain no nutritive value. They are truly empty calories. They are not equivalent to calories from protein, fat or other carbohydrates.

Thirdly, consumption of alcohol tends to be accompanied by a rather more relaxed attitude towards other less than ideal foods. I know, for instance, that I never crave hot wings unless I'm drinking.

Fourthly, alcohol disrupts other metabolic processes, imbalances your hormones and can lead to other health problems.

If you're trying to maximize your health and fitness, drinking should either be eliminated or minimized. If you're comfortable with gradual weight loss and gradual fitness improvement, moderate drinking probably won't hurt you much, and if it helps you to relax and shed stress, it might even be beneficial.

-Tex

Excellent reply Tex, I was looking for the same question and have it clear now.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

-Tex
    Or, here's another take: http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

OP - you're fine have some wine if you've got room for it. When I say "fine", I'm assuming you don't have a problem with drinking, or any underlying medical issues that mean you shouldn't drink. Otherwise, you're fine. Moderate consumption of alcohol can be beneficial to health. Wine is not a nutritional power house, but it's not just empty calories either. Red wine contains resveratrol, for example.

Just do it moderately and make sure you count the calories.
  • uptightoutasight
    uptightoutasight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks to all!
    I generally try to keep alcohol to social occasions because I try and eat fairly clean and healthily. It is Friday night here in Australia and I'm not going out but it is the end of the week and I just feel like a glass of red while cooking dinner! (Salmon and salad).
    I don't have a problem with alcohol and I won't lose the plot and keep drinking or eat badly. Those aren't my issues.

I just don't want to sabotage my efforts as my weight loss seems to be slow.

I have been eating well but do have dinner out the next 3 nights which is a bit unusual and I will be drinking a few wines.

I guess I shouldn't have one tonight. But I think I probably will…

Thanks again, guys!
  • uptightoutasight
    Options
    Thanks!
  • uptightoutasight
    Options
    This is what I like to think and that the bottom line is total energy in. Metabolising it does seem to be different for some things and some people on here have explained it well. Thanks.
  • uptightoutasight
    Options
    Thanks, Tex!
  • uptightoutasight
    Options
    Thanks, Jester. My replies don't seem to be going where I thought they would which was under each person so hopefully people will read this!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Use the quote button under the comments.

Have a drink and enjoy it. This is about living life not depriving yourself for short term gain and then giving good habits up because you are miserable.

Plus it's un-Australian not to have a drink on a Friday night!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I lost weight quite happily having 4 pints on a friday night.
  • uptightoutasight
    Options
    Use the quote button under the comments.

Have a drink and enjoy it. This is about living life not depriving yourself for short term gain and then giving good habits up because you are miserable.

Plus it's un-Australian not to have a drink on a Friday night!

Thanks! I had one and went over my joules, a miscalculation! But I used to breed labs and looks like you are a fan too, so I will listen to you!